What did you get done today?

Cory

9 minutes ago, Lynze said:

@MattyIce Awesome Black Magic Taro! Mine got hammered by a hail storm and I lost all my big leaves. I'm trying to over winter indoors, but I've never had the best of luck with that one. 

Thank you

I had gotten word of some hail coming through back in July, ended up using a tent foot print as a temporary tarp to protect it, worked well.

B123D692-B8E9-46D7-A5F9-A53061150E98.jpeg.a7d06b3600933adcdaf4df37fec8b56e.jpeg

I am not sure what is going to happen with it now that it is indoors, I expect some melt back, but I’m hoping with the light I have it won’t melt back too bad.

Edited by MattyIce

1 hour ago, MattyIce said:

Thank you

I had gotten word of some hail coming through back in July, ended up using a tent foot print as a temporary tarp to protect it, worked well.

B123D692-B8E9-46D7-A5F9-A53061150E98.jpeg.a7d06b3600933adcdaf4df37fec8b56e.jpeg

I am not sure what is going to happen with it now that it is indoors, I expect some melt back, but I’m hoping with the light I have it won’t melt back too bad.

Is that black magic taro the same as elephant ears we plant in the ground?  Did you plant it in soil? How? I need to know!  

my wife wants to add one to our tub next spring.

Got the grow out set up for the plecos. 

I got what I thought were two pieces of Malaysian driftwood, but one of the pieces just will not sink. Going to have to screw some slate to it I guess, because these suction cups are not going to hold. And it looks stupid. 

IMG_20200923_203155.jpg.77c1045828866cc00825116b9ebac458.jpg

The perfect place for a 29 gallon is underneath the petco stand for the 40 breeder. 

IMG_20200923_203215.jpg.666292cc92c6a1809eacc6f094474085.jpg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ken Burke said:

Is that black magic taro the same as elephant ears we plant in the ground?  Did you plant it in soil? How? I need to know!  

my wife wants to add one to our tub next spring.

Maybe, there is Alocasia and Colocasia, they look alike, I believe the one I have is colocasia, I am not sure about the one they plant in the ground, but I do plant mine in soil.

I purchased mine at an agway with it sold as a marginal plant in a small plastic pot.

I used a large stainless steel freezer basket from a chest freezer, lined it with coconut fiber mat, filled it with miracle grow organic potting soil and planted it.

I found the top inch of dirt needs to be out of the water, this kinda weighs down the dirt under the water firming it up, if all the dirt is submerged it is too loose and the roots have a hard time supporting the leaves.

I have a cinder block laying down with 2 paver stones laying on top of it, the stainless steel basket sits on this. The 2 pavers were needed to get it the inch or so out of the water.

• Thanks 1

I had a 10 gallon in a non convenient location and my work area was not using space most efficiently:10gal.png.106eb6e0c155c4db2d80fc97c01f3c6c.png

removed the shelf the tv was on, moved the book case over and got that set up as my work area, then where the bookcase was I set up a wire rack with space for 6 X 10 gallon tanks along with storage space above and below:

after.png.c90f0ed99899a30b2a327e51948909a1.png

Now I can light the tank properly, see my young Kilifish a little better, and I know where my next few fish tanks are going
IMG_7497.jpg.b14e295f395b4fdb1bc4ba0b80fa3c9f.jpg

• Like 2

My day job is beekeeper.

Bees have parasites too, just like fish. The one beekeepers fight the most is Varroa destructor and it is a mite.

You think killing a parasite on fish is hard, try killing a bug that is on another bug.

Formic acid (a chemical in ant stings) is the only approved organic treatment for Varroa. But it is still nasty stuff that you do not want to breathe or touch. I normally work my bees in shorts and t-shirt with no veil, but not today!

The 2 pads you see on top of the honeycomb frames are the formic acid.

Formic.jpg.1480843d3ff8fda636c1b381e0f5bc00.jpg

My goal is to send the colony into the winter with very few mites to maximize winter survival. Last year, I took 51 hives into winter, and by spring I still had 51 hives.

• Like 11

Went on a rescue trip and picked up a few new fishy friends and plants. 

FB_IMG_1601268907123.jpg.1a259dd449dae94b533a112c279d3f84.jpg

Got all the way home and after acclimating the fish I went to go get the plants and discovered I also adopted a blue eyed lemon pleco hiding in an ornament in the last bit of water I left in to keep the plants wet.

FB_IMG_1601269436751.jpg.6bc65974ce39fdbedc9ec9c474516503.jpg

Also noticed the huge java ferns were planted wrong but were thriving. This is the 2nd time I took home a tank with beautiful java ferns growing  buried in the gravel. Last time I attached them to driftwood and watched them die, I think this time I'm planting it like it was to see if it helps. 

• Like 3

Sold 20 Red Wag Platies to my LFS. 

Brought home a new purple mystery snail. We named him Sherlock. He'll pick up where our old snail left off in my 20 gal. RIP Governor.

Brought in another batch of standard White Clouds from my pond to prep for shipping. Gonna send my first shipment as soon as the rest of my shipping supplies come in hopefully this week.

• Like 1

Received my latest ACO order!  Did about a 75% water change to lower the water level enough to attach my plants and get new root tabs in.  Got my Murphy sticker on the stand, and my towel hanging on the door.  Planned to take pictures of how great the new plants look, but in my excitement, as I wrote in another thread, I forgot to rinse my purigen, and it now looks like I filled my tank with milk.  Dosed with clarity, and hoping it clears up some soon!

4 hours ago, ADMWNDSR83 said:

Received my latest ACO order!  Did about a 75% water change to lower the water level enough to attach my plants and get new root tabs in.  Got my Murphy sticker on the stand, and my towel hanging on the door.

I was surprised to get a free Murphy pin with my latest ACO order.  I think I might have ordered often enough to get all the stickers. One of my stands is covered with them.

• Like 2