What did you get done today?

Cory

Friday:

I started to teardown of my 150 gallon aquarium, my daughters 30 gallon, 20 gallon and 10 gallon tanks. I made a custom acrylic hood for the 30 gallon tank with fans and vent holes to cool down the aquarium for an axelotl. 

Saturday:

Set-up all of the 25 gallon tubs for the fish and plants. configured my canister filter to run through all of the tubs. I completed the teardown of the 150 and 20. I completed the 30 gallon and moved the axolotl over. Cleaned all of the tanks like new. There was a black beard algae problem in the 150 so I sprayed everything down with a 50/50 peroxide and flourish excel mixture. At the end of the night did the aquascaping of the 150 and got all of the substrate in. Took delivery of a big package from the Co-op.

Sunday: Moved the canister filter back onto the 150 and started to tweak the hardscape and substrate. Planted all of the plants, very difficult in Eco-complete. Gave the tank time to clear-up. Set-up the 20 gallon as a shrimp tank. After the tank was completely clear transferred the fish over. Started the massive clean-up of the house.

Monday: Checked on everything and other than a couple of plants coming loose everything is great. Water test in the morning and at 6:00 pm look perfect'

• Like 3

I got a new light for the 45 tall, sooooo much better. I can actually see the Blue Dream shrimp now. I also put the heater in the 55. It's now 100% ready to go, other than the cycle.

I went ahead and bought my CPDs last night from Aqua Huna, they shipped today. They'll stay in the QT tank until the 55 cycles. I want to buy my boeseman's too, but I don't have anywhere to keep them. Hopefully the tank cycles sooner rather than later, so I can move the CPDs over and order the rainbows.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jdogtrainer said:

May I ask how you removed it? This is an amazing idea. Thanks!

The aqueon versa top hinges are not glued on, and it just takes a little bit of force to pull the glass out of the grooves. 

Just do it carefully on a soft surface or you might do what I did to the top on my 29 gallon. 

IMG_20201010_230743.jpg

• Thanks 1

Ordered some cherry shrimp to add to my community tank. Then made another order on aquarium co-op to stock up on supplies. Slowly building up supplies to setup a second tank. Starting to get addicted to the hobby but want to Slowly build so I don't burnout.

• Like 1

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, Garren B said:

Ordered some cherry shrimp to add to my community tank. Then made another order on aquarium co-op to stock up on supplies. Slowly building up supplies to setup a second tank. Starting to get addicted to the hobby but want to Slowly build so I don't burnout.

Slow and steady is good. Remember you have your whole life to keep fish. We don't need to try all the things in 1 year, instead think about having a life long hobby 😉

Went to my LFS and picked up two Flagfish to eat the algae in my 20 gal. Used the store credit I racked up in selling them my platies. The flagfish are so much fun to watch. They need more love in the hobby. I could see doing a full tank of them at some point.

Also got my Co-Op order with several new items. I tried the Xtreme Krill Flake after hearing all the positive reviews and sure enough, my fish love it. Even my normally reclusive white clouds in my summer tub went nuts for it.  Extra thanks to the Co-Op for including a Murphy pin in my order! 

Finally, I also got my shipping supplies from Our Fish Collective. Thanks to @Guppy Guru for the package! Looking forward to sending my first shipment of fish.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I went to my smallest LFS, and picked up a Flying Fox or SAE. I am still not sure which until l can get a photo of it tonight. I also picked up a pair of Killifish and a sweet piece of Spider Wood, which will just live in one of my utility tanks for now.

Edited by Streetwise
  • Like 1

I followed that up with a Co-Op order:

Ziss Brine Shrimp Hatchery, Brine Shrimp Eggs, Xtreme Krill Flakes, Python Hook, Sponge Filters, Check Valves, Never-Clog Airstones, and USB Nano Air Pumps.

I am converting more tanks to Co-Op sponge filters, and adding some for my tubs.

I’m going to setup a utility station with the brine shrimp hatchery, the egg tumbler, and a spare tank with the breeder box. Then when my White Clouds spawn again, I will be ready!

Inspired by the forum, and this video:

Edited by Streetwise
Details
  • Like 2

I just ordered up some sponge filter supplies and food from the Co-op. I never fail to be impressed at how fast they turn around an order.

Cleaned my 2 year old's tank today too, it's been an algae farm recently. Hoping to rescape with some new substrate and crypt parva before too long.

20201011_141144.jpg

• Like 1

I was able to listen to a live stream live for the first time as I was cleaning and changing the water in my 4-10g, 30g betta sorority and 55g med fish community tanks. Changed out a hang on back filter on one of the 10's to a bigger better version. I use my HOB for water polishing mostly though most have sponge, matrix media and floss in them.

Just have my 2-3g shrimp tank and betta tank. Then the weekly routine is complete. Moved all my juvenile male guppies from the project tanks to the male guppy tank so the choice males can carry on.

Did my 35g male guppy tank yesterday and my 20g tetra tank yesterday.

• Like 1

Started doing joint Aquarium co-op orders with coworkers for supply.  Figure lets save money on shipping and start doing monthly orders together for supplies.  

What I added to the group order was just some xtreme krill flakes 🙂 I was starting to get low. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1