What did you get done today?

Cory

Yesterday I took all the overgrown plants out of my 40G where I'm growing BBA. I removed the wood and rocks and treated everything with peroxide (while out of water). The only way peroxide works for me is if it's treated out of water. I don't have to worry about my fish that way. I replanted the tank and put all the extra plants in a bucket to experiment with BBA treatments.

I put a huge handful of red root floaters in a bucket outside to see how much redder they will get. That stuff grows like crazy.

I did all my water changes and planted my new betta tank with the beautiful plants I just got from Aquarium Co op. 

IMG_4041.JPG

• Like 1

Upgraded my 10 gallon sterilite bin to glass. These platies are growing out to be sold to my LFS. I was trying to do the same with the ludwigia, but you can see the issue. I couldn't view the plants properly in the sterilite and didn't notice the algae. A quick dip in hydrogen peroxide at least killed it. 

IMG_20200823_203747.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/24/2020 at 5:09 PM, StephenP2003 said:

Upgraded my 10 gallon sterilite bin to glass. These platies are growing out to be sold to my LFS. I was trying to do the same with the ludwigia, but you can see the issue. I couldn't view the plants properly in the sterilite and didn't notice the algae. A quick dip in hydrogen peroxide at least killed it. 

IMG_20200823_203747.jpg

Love those platties!  A tank of those males with my black moscow males would look pretty amazing.

We treated the 55-gallon with Levamisole today. 😕 It's full of guppies and we've been losing several a day for a couple months. We tried treating with Cory's trio, but it didn't stop the fish from losing weight and dying. We even did salt treatments for a few weeks. Nothing worked. We're hoping this will do the trick and get rid of the parasites once and for all!

I also planted a Wysteria that we picked up yesterday into the 20-long. We're hoping the red-tail botia will enjoy the additional coverage.

20200829_130232.jpg

20200829_132551.jpg

My bedroom/fish room/ hanging with friends room has been running out of space.

A friend got me a free 150 gallon but it took up so much space something needed to be done.

so I built a 6.5’ high bunk bed, started on it yesterday, finished it up today.  Also got my new 150 on a stand and filled.

B8DBA444-E5D9-463D-9551-5EAA1A1C68A1.jpeg

CB6BFA2C-09B4-47E5-AA5A-AEF6B8EAA8B0.jpeg

• Like 4

I moved the pond guppies to the 40 community tank and picked up a used 40 g half-hex with stand for the outdoor goldfish. Set it up with some rocks and anubias and set them up in it (with a heavy dose of starter bacteria and their existing sponge filter + a new internal canister filter). Cleaned out the sparkling gourami tank, cleaned out the open 20 and refilled and sorta scaped it. Oofta. Tomorrow, more water changes. 

I moved the pond guppies to the 40 community tank and picked up a used 40 g half-hex with stand for the outdoor goldfish. Set it up with some rocks and anubias and set them up in it (with a heavy dose of starter bacteria and their existing sponge filter + a new internal canister filter). Cleaned out the sparkling gourami tank, cleaned out the open 20 and refilled and sorta scaped it. Oofta. Tomorrow, more water changes. 

On 8/24/2020 at 6:50 PM, Dice said:

Yesterday I took all the overgrown plants out of my 40G where I'm growing BBA. I removed the wood and rocks and treated everything with peroxide (while out of water). The only way peroxide works for me is if it's treated out of water. I don't have to worry about my fish that way. I replanted the tank and put all the extra plants in a bucket to experiment with BBA treatments.

I put a huge handful of red root floaters in a bucket outside to see how much redder they will get. That stuff grows like crazy.

I did all my water changes and planted my new betta tank with the beautiful plants I just got from Aquarium Co op. 

IMG_4041.JPG

Hey, I can't really see properly but do you have the java fern planted into the substrate? If you don't, cool, but if you do, the rhizome can't be planted in the substrate or it'll die. Again, sorry if you're doing it right I just can't see well enough to make sure and I figure you'd wanna know.

8 hours ago, JaydenDSin said:

Hey, I can't really see properly but do you have the java fern planted into the substrate? If you don't, cool, but if you do, the rhizome can't be planted in the substrate or it'll die. Again, sorry if you're doing it right I just can't see well enough to make sure and I figure you'd wanna know.

Thanks for the heads up but, it's super glued to a rock so the rhizome isn't buried. It's a great way to make it appear to be planted in the substrate. I do appreciate looking out for something that might not work. Someone else may have just learned something as well.  😊

• Like 1

14 hours ago, StephenP2003 said:

Got fed up with the black hinges on my glass tops dictating where I put my light, so I removed most of it and left a couple inches on each side. 

IMG_20200830_210707.jpg

Cool beans, I've been wanting to do that. It drives me nuts having to move my light around so I don't see the stupid shadow from those black pieces. I think that will be my project today. I have some silicone handy. Hopefully, I can make it work.

On 8/21/2020 at 12:31 PM, Nataku said:

So I actually do this six days of the week, not just today, but figured the pics might be amusing.

20200821_131644.jpg.0b12bd59d6886df6735fdb25afa116e2.jpg

This is the 'otto buffet'  - I keep a small tub out side with a few inches of rainwater and dirty tank change water in it, and I throw these rocks in there to sit out in the sun and grow algae. I then pull two or three rocks a day and put them in this tank for the ottos to have fresh algae since they've done a fine job cleaning up the rest of the tank.

These rocks will be cleaned in a couple hours. I will swap them back out to the outside tub tomorrow and bring fresh algae covered rocks in for them.

20200821_131652.jpg.3aabc71db29c316d0910753cfc81b55b.jpg

I'm going to try to my new otos in quarantine. Thanks for the tip.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dice said:

Cool beans, I've been wanting to do that. It drives me nuts having to move my light around so I don't see the stupid shadow from those black pieces. I think that will be my project today. I have some silicone handy. Hopefully, I can make it work.

No silicone necessary. The hinges for the aqueon tops are actually not glued at all. Just need to carefully pull the glass panels apart, and then you need something sharp to cut the hinge. I used a table saw. 

• Like 1

Did a water change and recoded some medications in my 5.5 betta tank. I’m also cleaning out some decor from a gecko terrarium and setup my plants. And finally, I’m gonna try and tackle more of cleaning out this 10 gallon. It’s been sitting dry in a storage unit for several months and I’m finally able to get it out and set it up, but I found a dead rat in it so I have to clean the eco complete and Scrub the algae and nasty 💩 off the glass. Wish me luck.

D236C8E5-4D70-49F5-877A-A5AB2208C1AC.jpeg

4F21D42A-CF16-4FC8-B099-1B4B3828FD90.jpeg

F183022C-9301-4725-8473-DE4B5C98E4ED.jpeg

7141319D-50C2-4D70-AE9E-468501297663.jpeg

BB5E9F66-95D7-47CF-9984-F54AA86B359B.jpeg

3FC510D1-9458-4AD2-8FE8-4BAB8D98F85B.jpeg

B9F1E1C4-A727-46F6-A6DF-A50F70A3EC0D.jpeg