What did you get done today?

Cory

Built new stand, setup breeding tank for the koi angels that spawned in my quarantine tank. Had two cycled coop sponge filters ready. The 230 fry are doing well alone in the 20 gallon quarantine tank for a while, growing fast on coop brine shrimp. Big thanks to @Brian Scott for his advice! 

IMG_2602.JPG

Edited by Bill
  • Like 4

I picked up a 400l aquarium for free! It must be at least 40 years old as its very heavy thick glass and a gold metal frame. Very very heavy. I know its leaking and will have to reseal it and I don't have space right now, but I am putting it in storage for my next place.

• Like 3

I decided that I wanted to cut down on the flow in my tank some as my angelfish have been getting pushed around quite a bit as they've gotten larger. I shut down my 306, and moved the intake for my 407 to make up for the dead spot. Everyone seems happy so far, but I'll keep on eye on my water for the next week or so. It's planted heavy enough that there's no way I needed that much filter on it.

Did some water changes where they were due. Thinned out rocks and plants in one tank. Thinking if getting more Easy Planters for it too. Been liking tanks without so much stuff in them lately. So that tank got a good gravel vac too. Been waiting for my young red cap medaka to breed. Saw one carrying eggs once and that was it. No fry yet. Left guppy grass in their tank for two weeks and just moved the grass over to another empty tank for eggs to hatch. Put fresh grass in the medaka tank. This is how youtuber Fish Boy has had great success with them. My new this year outdoor stock tank goldfish pond is started to get cooler. Seeing if the water lettuce in it will make it through our relatively mild winter. 

• Like 1

Cleaned 4 tanks, upgraded 1 ten gallon to a twenty, set up a new 2.5 gallon for a mystery snail grow out, and moved fish out of my twenty long to make room for my pair of Apistos and my group of cherry barbs that I will hopefully pick up tomorrow!
(Sorry for upside down pictures lol)

C4452A1D-0ED1-42A4-AD3F-973C6D6F1298.jpeg.0c502e1ba80cdc2377d5cd1f461dc864.jpeg3F4A3C64-13C8-431C-92DA-D253D617DF28.jpeg.7557e4c2a7d3e42023be4fe6cfe331cd.jpeg

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, James V. said:

Cleaned 4 tanks, upgraded 1 ten gallon to a twenty, set up a new 2.5 gallon for a mystery snail grow out, and moved fish out of my twenty long to make room for my pair of Apistos and my group of cherry barbs that I will hopefully pick up tomorrow!
(Sorry for upside down pictures lol)

C4452A1D-0ED1-42A4-AD3F-973C6D6F1298.jpeg.0c502e1ba80cdc2377d5cd1f461dc864.jpeg3F4A3C64-13C8-431C-92DA-D253D617DF28.jpeg.7557e4c2a7d3e42023be4fe6cfe331cd.jpeg

I was going to ask how you managed to keep the water in!

• Haha 3

47 minutes ago, Maggie said:

@classicshooter is there a reason why you paint the back black? I've read that people do that but wondered why. Does it cut down on the reflection? Is it mainly for more aggressive fish, so they don't attack themselves? I don't have any background on my tank and have been curious about this issue. 

Fish can get scared by the shadows on the background it does help. plus it makes you aquascape stand out better. I just tape a piece of black construction paper to the back of my tanks. its dirt cheap and not permeant. I wouldnt use paint unless the aquarium isnt setup and i'm dead set on the color.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/28/2020 at 7:34 AM, Maggie said:

@classicshooter is there a reason why you paint the back black? I've read that people do that but wondered why. Does it cut down on the reflection? Is it mainly for more aggressive fish, so they don't attack themselves? I don't have any background on my tank and have been curious about this issue. 

As AtomCatMatt said, shadows can stress fish out. Most any background will eliminate the shadow issue, but I painted so I could get a specific glare for a deep and rippling effect. 

• Like 1

The tiny glass top for my 10-gal finally arrived! For some reason the aqueon brand hasn't been available though they make one it. I got the Top Fin brand (Petsmart) which is the only one I could find. I am pretty happy with it. Also put the heater in the tank- takes up a lot of room. I made a background yesterday out of black and green construction paper (thanks for the idea @AtomCatMatt and @classicshooter!) for a total cost of $3.98 plus tax, and put that up today.

20201030_142835.jpg

20201030_142850.jpg

20201030_142843.jpg

20201030_143036.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, AtomCatMatt said:

Thats so freaking awesome, you took my plain idea and made something unique! Fantastic Work! 😁

Just scissors and a glue-stick, because at the store I wasn't sure if i wanted black or green. The green alone was way too much and drowned out the plants, so I used my elementary school art skills to incorporate just a little. 😃

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I managed to get my hands on a 120x60 board of plywood today, quite an achievement considering the confinement and restrictions here in Catalunya, Spain. Now why is that an achievement, you ask? Well... because its a first step!

I have been holding off setting up tanks in the house I live right now. Simply because there is literally no free wall in this flat (living with my girlfriend and her 2 daughters) and have been holding off as we will be moving out of here sooner than later. Also since leaving NL 5 years ago I have been moving around too much and never really settled down enough to re-start the hobby, up until about a year ago when I found Cory's youtube.

BUT, a) because this forum really gets me itching to have at least 1 tank even if its small and b) it just might take another year to get out of here (or not, don't know) I have found there is a space of 100x35cm on top of a cupboard in the kitchen where I technically can put a tank of around 20 gallons. By far not a great place to enjoy a tank, but I claimed that spot anyway and will be setting up a tank soon. First step is done, buying 18mm plywood to give it a bit more strength and rigidity. Next step is to see whether one of the tanks in my storage unit did survive hot summers and cold winters and isn't leaking as a result. I have Ziss filters, heaters etc all to get started. But I am confined till monday so can't go to storage unit as its outside of the village and we are not allowed to leave.

So a piece of plywood today is a start to get back to something that brought me a lot of joy in the past! Now where can I get wild caught Swordtails and high fin mollies here in Spain... 

Ruud 

Edited by Ruud
  • Like 3

So the story continues... Went to my storage unit and picked up 1 of my 96 liter (25.5 gallon) tanks I have had in storage for about 2 years. The tanks are 100% new, but I was a bit hesitant after having them in storage (hot summers, cold winters) so did a quick test on the terrace and no leaks. Quite a few bubbles on the sillicone though, so will be keeping an eye but for now this one will need to do. 

Picture below is set up in its new space. Cant see it very well but managed to put on mat black foil on the back and one side.

image0_2.jpeg

Now comes the hardest part! How am I going to set it up? Bare bottom with some wood and rocks? Substrate and planted? Going back to my original love of Apisto's, Cory's and L numbers or take the easier route (considering local tap water conditions) and go livebearers. Fancy Mollies, Swords?

Choices, choices!

• Like 3

Today I tested my water found that everything was too high got some new filter media ( zeolite and carbon) and a filter bag and water conditioners and I had to rinse out the filter media and the filter bag and so the water that was going to use to do my water change Is dirty and I have to wait a few more days to do WC,😡😡😡😡

13 minutes ago, ange said:

I finished building my stand and staining it! My fingers are crossed that the stain will be okay after letting it rest overnight and I can move my 50 hex onto it tomorrow!

Woot! Woot! Looking good, @ange!!! Can't wait to see it all put together. 😉 

• Like 1

As a follow up to what I did yesterday.... Ladies and gentlemen I have successfully broken the bottom rim while moving the tank. I have no idea how I'm supposed to go about fixing this and I'm tempted to turn this into a "rimless" tank with an EVA foam mat cut to fit underneath. I have super glue gel and some reef epoxy but I'm not sure how to go about this. I also now need to check for leaks in the tank.

20201103_123607.jpg

• Sad 3

Just now, ange

As a follow up to what I did yesterday.... Ladies and gentlemen I have successfully broken the bottom rim while moving the tank. I have no idea how I'm supposed to go about fixing this and I'm tempted to turn this into a "rimless" tank with an EVA foam mat cut to fit underneath. I have super glue gel and some reef epoxy but I'm not sure how to go about this. I also now need to check for leaks in the tank.

20201103_123607.jpg

Ack! So sorry, @ange! Hoping somebody will have some good, clear advice for you.

14 minutes ago, akconklin said:

Ack! So sorry, @ange! Hoping somebody will have some good, clear advice for you.

Unfortunately no one had any to offer. My solution is to super glue the joints, reinforce the outside of the rim with reef epoxy, and then fit some EVA foam under the rim to distribute pressure. This would be a lot easier if the accident happened to a tank with standard dimensions 😅

20 minutes ago, ange said:

Unfortunately no one had any to offer. My solution is to super glue the joints, reinforce the outside of the rim with reef epoxy, and then fit some EVA foam under the rim to distribute pressure. This would be a lot easier if the accident happened to a tank with standard dimensions 😅

😭😭😭 At least, now you have a straightforward plan...hoping it works out for you!