What did you get done today?

Cory

I setup a wifi smart plug for my lighting, so I will now have a constant 10hrs of light. Bitch to setup to be honest, but got it working now. 

Will be going to Barcelona later this afternoon (hopefully) and visit a nice store (Urban Natura in Gracia) so lets see what else kind of trouble I can get in.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, SilveRx said:

Put the big momma in the breeder box and took 1 day for all these fry to come out. This is probably the 4th batch of fry from her.

2nd pic is the mom and dad.

20201111_090001.jpg

20201111_090710.jpg

I'm a fish newbie - are these endlers? They're pretty! 

I caught MTS today!

I dropped by the thrift store that the organization I work for runs, and found this little gem for $15.  It's a plastic aquarium, I think 10 gallon, bow front.  I think it's a marineland, since it has the bio-wheel.  Now it's just a matter of deciding A) if it will stay at work or come home, and B) what will go into it.  Any suggestions?

KIMG1253.JPG.3e089e5664034e16eb6a63715d5abeb8.JPG

• Like 4

@ange

Where did you get your molds?! I have my 40 gallon in my 4th grade classroom, and I am teaching my kids to take care of animals, and how to care for a fish tank. We made repashy today, and the kids freak out about the smell. 😂 It is the best! They screamed, "Repashy alert!" then put on every mask they had at their desk. 🤣😂 I think making repashy like that would make them enjoy it so much more! Thank you so much for the idea!

-Eden

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've decided to move the Gang (harlequin rasboras) out if quarantine a couple weeks early. There are no other fish in my main tank so nothing can be harmed except my wallet if I have to treat the whole tank. Acclimating with tank water now! 

Update: All done! They're nervous for now but once they all found each other after the transfer, they immediately calmed down a bit. 

20201113_114111.jpg

Edited by Maggie
Update
  • Like 1

I broke down a 75 on one side of my living room and moved it to the other side. The 75 housed clown loaches that are now in my 150, so now the corydora tank (36) is moving into the 75 so I can get more as they were starting to get crowded. I spent 12 hours straight moving the tank and then transferring the entire ecosystem of the 36 into the 75 next to it. Hauling RO water, rinsing substrate, moving the tank alone it was a hell of a day. Today I can finish moving the 36 out of the living room and it’s going to be my girlfriends tank. She wants a breeding pair of gourami but I can’t find females so if anyone has a tip I’d appreciate that!

The corydoras like the new space.

C6D1C33E-3442-48B4-96FA-0CE06D6DD75F.jpeg

ECCF06D8-4801-430F-AD8A-3212FEA736E6.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toothgrinder said:

She wants a breeding pair of gourami but I can’t find females so if anyone has a tip I’d appreciate that!

Look at the dorsal fin of the gourami when you are at your LFS. The males have typically slightly longer dorsals that come to a distinct point. The females will have dorsals that are more rounded at the tip and shorter. Likewise, the anal fin in males will be pointed, the females will have rounded anal fins. Its best to compare between the same species because while this holds true for pretty much all gourami, the level of length and point varies between species. Also, the males are typically brighter in species like dwarfs or honey, but in species like three spots, paradise or sparkling I haven't noticed any appreciable color differences. Now most LFS almost never stock female dwarf gourami because they are not really colorful pretty fish like the males. But you can usually find males and females of other gourami species at LFS.

~~~

My order from Aquariuam CoOp came in today! I ordered a couple moss bridges amongst other things, and one went into my spiny eel/weird tank. It was quickly the hottest new piece of real estate in the tank.

20201112_170348.jpg.b4c7fdd4c43f9fea2a2bebbbeb9aa250.jpg

The eels took no time in checking it out. But then this group of eels has been extremely inquisitive as soon as they got over their initial 'ah we're  being moved!' freakout.

20201112_170507.jpg.39c0f88f0bc0fd7b4b4e926d0a512b74.jpg

Butch the whisker shrimp also decided that he wanted this to be his new homestead claim. He's  long since lost the fight to Cassidy (the other whisker shrimp) who has claimed the bottom of the pre filter sponge as her own. The eels and the whisker shrimp rarely pay each other any mind. They frequently sit on each other when there's food to pile around. Who's on top doesn't matter.

I also picked up a 30 gallon tank with filter/lid/light/air pump/heater/food/a whole bag of plastic plants for $20 yesterday. Gotta figure out what I'm  gonna do with that now. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Eden said:

@ange

Where did you get your molds?! I have my 40 gallon in my 4th grade classroom, and I am teaching my kids to take care of animals, and how to care for a fish tank. We made repashy today, and the kids freak out about the smell. 😂 It is the best! They screamed, "Repashy alert!" then put on every mask they had at their desk. 🤣😂 I think making repashy like that would make them enjoy it so much more! Thank you so much for the idea!

-Eden

Mine is just a set of candy molds off of Amazon! I wanted something food-grade just to be safe, but you could also hypothetically use molds intended for resin. This is the specific set that I have but I'm sure others will work.

• Like 1

I went to my LFS to get the next group of harlequin rasboras, but they didn't have any. So, I was looking at choices for algae eaters, and the guy showed me these cute tank bred otocinclus catfish so I got six! They are now in the mini-bow in quarantine. 

20201113_154147.jpg

• Like 2

Today I broke down and recycled all of the Coop boxes that were building up in the fishroom. The downside to being slightly lazy on my days off work and having a basement fishroom. Always an excuse to let the boxes/rubbish pile up before breaking it all down and cleaning it all up.

• Like 2

Today I am enjoying watching my rasboras enjoy themselves. First they zoom back and forth and make a point of going under the "HOB Filter Waterfall Challenge". They appear to relish swimming through the moving water, as they do it repeatedly whenever they get the zoomies! Then they meander around in groups, duos or solo for a while, searching for bits of food. I havent seen them explore the lower third of the tank much - they really love the big middle section of open swimming area. One took a nap alone in a bottom corner and that had me worried for a while!

20201114_123648.jpg

• Like 3

This happened late last night and early this morning. 

I went to the store with a friend, got the fish I needed to finish off my 40 gallon breeder, and I received all the plants that I bought on the website. I put the fish in, and helped a friend with her new fish tank. She is new to the hobby, and I am teaching her how to get through the rookie mistakes. The fish were stressed from the car ride, but they all look good right now. They ate and are zooming around. I tested my water, and am watching all the fish carefully. The planter from aquarium co-op are fantastic! The plants came in looking better than I could have dreamed. it's amazing, and I will post a picture later when I have the time! 

Thanks guys!!

• Like 3