What did you get done today?

Cory

I painted the back of the new 20 long. Then went outside and broke some mexican river rocks from Lowes in half. I'm having visions of siliconing them to inside of the back wall to make what looks like a rock pile but uses less floor space. I wish I could find some pics where someone else had tried it.

• Like 2

I moved the otocats from quarantine into the main tank today (45-gal). The rasboras are a bit unsettled by their new tankmates and are cautiously observing while huddled together. The otos seem quite comfy in their new home and are munching away, totally oblivious to the rasboras.  

• Like 1

@Scarletthunder17 you can do it! I re-sealed a 5 and 10 gallon for the first time recently and it went fine! I think it’s easier than people make it out to be. The hard part seems to be making it look neat, rather than keeping the water in.

This doesn’t really count as something I got done today, but my pleco order was canceled because the person ran out of stock. ☹️ 

• Like 1

Did a 15% water change, rearranged one of my Echinodoras Swords and went to the fish store. Got home with 5 extra Cardinal tetras, two dwarf Gourami's and two Dalmatian balloon mollies. And a Nerite snail. Very excited!!

Here's a pic, more pics in the tread about my tank

IMG_3352.JPG

• Like 3

Got my trumpet snail colony installed in my soon-to-be pea puffer tank! I stuck in a few algae-covered windelov ferns from my other tank to help establish it and for the snails to eat from. Waiting on a few more plants—probably more java ferns, but might see if a horntail tries to take over. And then it's off to find my little desk murder-princess. Beautiful gold anubias from Aquarium Co-op (one of the healthiest looking aquarium plants I've ever seen!), along with plant weights, sponge filter material, and easy green are really setting me up for success.

PXL_20201128_164643348.jpg

• Like 5

30% water change in all 3 tanks. Moved 3 Corydoras sterbai from my 20 gallon to my 40 gallon for my long term stocking changes. Took me 30 minutes to catch them, they kept hiding in my plants. Had to take out all the hardscape. Not something I want to try again. 

Ordered blue neo shrimp for the 20, who will join neon green endlers on it. The corys will be with pencil fish, hatchet fish, a red lizard whiptail catfish, and a pair of apistos in the 40. The endlers and whiptail cat are in my 10 gallon QT tank now. 

20201128_112721.jpg

20201128_112731.jpg

• Like 3

So far, I did some cleanup on the hair algae farm guppy tank, and then did a water change on the 40 breeder. And then I left this mess just sitting there while I browsed the forum/ate some lunch, lol.

PXL_20201128_185649873.jpg.4fe1338a7beb05a3cc046d9ebe34a7a7.jpg

I think next up for today will be some maintenance on 2 of the 5 gallons, and then I'll leave the 75 gal and the 10 gal quarantine bin for tomorrow. Also the snail tank should probably get a water change sometime this weekend. Probably.

I met a local for a trade today and feel like a queen. I'm going to flex the ID muscle as soon as I'm home. Just from looking I already see Alternanthera rosanervig, Hydrocotyle tripartita, and Hydrocotyle leucocephala so I'm extremely excited.

20201128_155251.jpg

• Like 3

As a follow up to my previous post, I added several of these to my invert tank that's currently transitioning some plants out/in. The new plants are:

Alternanthera rosanervig

Bacopa caroliniana

Hemianthus micranthemoides

Hydrocotyle leucocephala

Hydrocotyle tripartita

20201128_183352.jpg

Changed water in my quarantine tank and my grow out tank. Spent a while twirling hair algae out of the plants with a toothbrush. Also fed my snails some zucchini.

It looks like my tetras’ fin rot is healing after salt treatment for two weeks and then Melafix for a week. Yay! Soon the two of them can join the big tank again!

Edited by Hobbit
ETA: I bought another pleco off eBay!!
  • Like 1

Picked up the wood I ordered for my 20L to sit on - it's a sweet piece of 1" pine butcher block. I spent a little more bc 1) I don't have any woodworking tools and 2) it was easier than buying a whole sheet of plywood, having it cut, and then dealing with the splinters, unevenness, etc. I was going to stain it today but it's pouring out. Did 15% WC in both the 45-gal and 10-gal (because I skipped Thursday's WC). Did a mock setup on the 20L with the spider wood, decorations, and easy planters - looks like 4 of them will be too many, but we'll see. 

Is it possible to have a tank cycle itself with max .25ppm ammonia and nitrites? I started my 10 gal with plants and shrimp and, and on Nov. 5 put 11 juvenile danio erythromicron in there. I just did the second water change and other than that, have done nothing but cleaning around where the shrimp dish is, which pulls about 2 cups out every couple days and is replaced. Nitrates haven't gone over 5ppm. I'm guessing it may have cycled itself without a spike due to the very light bioload. I did use the Fritz bacteria starter and the extra filter material is brownish. 20201130_084714.jpg.7ded49ecf71bade448945a3f1863a7ab.jpg

• Like 1

Here are a couple of tanks from the Dirted Tank Project. The ammonia almost always stayed at 0.25 ppm while cycling. Except for a couple of 1 day (or even few hour events, it stayed very low. These tanks have had angelfish, guppies and plants in them since November 1 2020.

image.png.6cc073dc9c017955a3bfde18ac9af7eb.png

image.png.1692f12e5fcb71156b1492453b50637f.png

So yes, it looks like it possible to cycle with a minimal ammonia spike.

• Thanks 2

Thanks @Daniel! My ammonia and NO2 have been at zero since the initial .25 ammonia "spike" (NO2 barely moved to a purple tinge, not even .25) and WC. It's heavily planted like my other tank, keeping nitrates low as well, and I have not used any plant fertilizer. I want to move as much of this water as possible (and the filter material) over to the 20L when that's set up since it is for the danios and their (haven't fully decided yet) dither fish.

• Like 1

Pea puffer tank got some new plants

PXL_20201201_185238791.jpg.f618b067df0ee68e75232739096b6ab2.jpg

As did my 10g hydroponic experiment

PXL_20201201_204930027.jpg.f1257d080eb8093515f0179b6f2b6e7f.jpg

Why? Because I also set up my Creme de la Creme Beginner's Tank, getting ready for endlers, platys, and snails galore! Still cloudy from all those rocks, but clearing soon!

PXL_20201201_210140628.jpg.73c4a931b2a0ff46dd812d03d03abd24.jpg

• Like 1