What did you get done today?

Cory

I bought some mystery snails from Lav on ourfishcollective. Can't wait for them to get here next week!

The CPDs from Aqua Huna are about a week into quarantine and I did lose one the first day, but the rest of them are looking pretty good. Very active and a couple of them have some nice colors, even though they are still juveniles.

The 55 gallon is getting closer to cycling. The nitrites are started to come down now and the nitrates are rising. Hoping I can move the CPDs within the next two weeks, so I can order the rainbows before it gets to cold.

Placed another order on the Co-Op today too. I think this is my 7th order since I started back up 3 months ago 🙂

I also decided to move a huge bookcase out of my home office, since it's become my fish room now. It's filled with hardcover comics and I figured it's probably not a good idea to have a couple thousand dollars worth of books in a fishroom...

The good thing about that is, I'll have another 5 feet of space to put a stand in. I haven't decided if it'll be a bigger tank there or a rack of smaller tanks, but it'll be one or the other.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Today I walked down the hill to the bay and grabbed a bunch of hornwort. Our property goes to the high water line, so I can legally pull stuff that's on the shore, but I do sneak into the water a bit. 😉

I bring it up, rinse it really good, then put it in a 20 gallon tank that just has pond snails in it. I've found if I just mess with it for a few minutes  every day, I can clean out the ugly parts and after some time in the tank it starts to get bright green and looks nice. I just keep trimming off the ugly stuff and after awhile I have a nice looking plant.

The ones I pull out of the tank , I do the bleach rinse on and then put them in the tanks with fish.

Edited by Rikostan
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Rikostan said:

The ones I pull out of the tank , I do the bleach rinse on and then put them in the tanks with fish.

And the hornwort survives a bleach rinse? Wow! That's great! I did a short Alum soak and lost all the needles on my hornwort. I just assumed it would be fragile to any kind of rinse to get rid of snails, etc. So I'm surprised and impressed.

Could you share your bleach rinse procedure? Maybe I'll try that next time. 🙂 

Thanks!

Alesha

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akconklin said:

And the hornwort survives a bleach rinse? Wow! That's great! I did a short Alum soak and lost all the needles on my hornwort. I just assumed it would be fragile to any kind of rinse to get rid of snails, etc. So I'm surprised and impressed.

Could you share your bleach rinse procedure? Maybe I'll try that next time. 🙂 

Thanks!

Alesha

Sure thing! But please take this all with a huge grain of salt. I am still very new to the hobby and figuring out what works for me.

I've also noticed that there seems to be a lot of different plants called hornwort too, so I'll include a couple of pics, so you can see which one I am working with.

I found the steps by just searching for "bleach rinse aquarium plants" and found this site.

BUCEPLANT.COM

6 Easy Steps to Bleach Dip Aquarium Plants by Bryson (@unso.fish.ticated)   There are reasons why many of us aquarists choose to buy tissue culture plants: no snails, no algae, an abundance of healthy plants. However...

I follow their steps, but I don't use a dechlorinator after they are done soaking and I only let it sit in the bleach mix for 75 seconds.

We have well water so no chlorine in it. I just rinse it really well for a minute or two then let it soak in the well water for awhile. 

This is some of it I brought up from the bay today. 

20201015_172802.jpg.aa6d985ded99ff6c850353207ad88350.jpg

And this is what it looks like after couple of weeks in the tank and the bleach rinse.

20201015_172918.jpg.ac338e6613d229bd71153c2e1cfccaed.jpg

That piece was floating in the guppy tank for a week, well 6 days. I pulled it from the QT tank last Friday.

{EDIT} I'm not to worried about snails, I like to have them in all the tanks, but I just dip the plants to make sure there isn't any other type of parasite from the bay water.

Edited by Rikostan
  • Thanks 2

I had a 10 gallon with white sand as substrate  Lots of dwarf hair grass.  

I observed that my guppies did not color up well compared to their siblings in  other tanks with black substrate.  So I thought that I could remove some white sand and then pour the black sand over it hiding the white sand underneath, so not to disrupt the nitro cycle.  

it turned out a mess I’m afraid but I’m going with it anyway.   I even procured some wood, but the tannins leached out and turned the water tea color

I laugh at my colossal blunder every time I look at it.   I think it will look ok once the water clears.  Though I am not a fan of the salt and pepper substrate.  And I’m confident that the juvenile Guppies will color Up  better against the darker colors Like their siblings do.  

0D1FF0CA-B671-4815-B760-A3CBA8347B8F.jpeg

• Like 1

Technically I did this last night, but hey, it all counts, right? I modified the returns on two HOBs I have running on my 40 gal breeder tank so that the water flows along the surface instead of shooting straight down onto my plants and wood. I realized the surface was pretty stagnant and the tank wasn't getting good overall water flow, despite using two Aquaclear 50s. I just taped a section from a clear plastic cup to the edge of the tank under each return. Hoping the fish and plants are happier now. 

56DB5EBF-2F55-439E-9C25-655708A970C9.jpeg

DB91EF08-2789-40E8-BA04-7C316E432211.jpeg

• Like 3

I made my first sale to a local fish store today.         I don’t want to bury the lead I made $5.00 for each two oz cup of Java moss = $50.00!  I was prepared for $2.00 a cup.  The owner said it will sell out tomorrow.  He will sell it for $10.00 a cup.  The funny thing is the Java moss was a secondary sale to the tiger mosaic guppies of which I got $20.00, a dollar a fish.  I figure this was a good place to start. To help build his business.  No fancy  guppies in his store.  I almost fell down when he said $70.00.  The picture is my fish in his tanks and the moss.

6CF7AE29-CEA3-4B43-8F20-5F314B27493B.jpeg

410A44DE-77A2-4518-AB03-FB9847D7A465.jpeg

Edited by Tedrock
Better pictures
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, Tedrock said:

I made my first sale to a local fish store today.         I don’t want to bury the lead I made $5.00 for each two oz cup of Java moss = $50.00!  I was prepared for $2.00 a cup.  The owner said it will sell out tomorrow.  He will sell it for $10.00 a cup.  The funny thing is the Java moss was a secondary sale to the tiger mosaic guppies of which I got $20.00, a dollar a fish.  I figure this was a good place to start. To help build his business.  No fancy  guppies in his store.  I almost fell down when he said $70.00.  The picture is my fish in his tanks and the moss.

6CF7AE29-CEA3-4B43-8F20-5F314B27493B.jpeg

410A44DE-77A2-4518-AB03-FB9847D7A465.jpeg

Very pretty guppies! Bet he sells them quickly.

• Like 2

Found my ammonia & nitrites at 0ppm, nitrates <40ppm. Did a 25% water change and nitrates now 20. Tank is now cycled!! Went to LFS and they're out of harlequin rasboras. Big time bummer. LFS has great supply of frozen food though. Got flakes and pellets and a few other things coming from aquariumcoop.

• Like 2

Found my ammonia & nitrites at 0ppm, nitrates <40ppm. Did a 25% water change and nitrates now 20. Tank is now cycled!! Went to LFS and they're out of harlequin rasboras. Big time bummer. LFS has great supply of frozen food though. Got flakes and pellets and a few other things coming from aquariumcoop.

Change of plans. I saw some adorable young emerald dwarf rasboras (danio erythromcron). I got twelve. They're so tiny and adorable! I have them in my quarantine tank (5 gal mini-bow). I had to add a little baking soda to the tank while they were floating in the bag as my pH is too low for them (they prefer over 7).

Here are a couple of my new babies. 

20201017_184656.jpg

20201017_194059.jpg

• Like 5