Welcome to the C.A.R.E Forum - Look here first.

Cory

About me: I enjoy sharing what I’ve learned with others, although I find it harder to want to share with people that come across as entitled to my experience or those looking to try and make money from my information. I also find I have less patience teaching other hobbyists that are tariffed of failure, but I’m working on it!  

At any point in time I’ll have anywhere from 25 to 100 tanks. Although I’m trying to refine my needs to as few tanks as possible.

I enjoy experimenting, studying, observing and tinkering. I enjoy live food cultures as much, if not more than the fish they feed. I very much love creating entire food webs within my fishroom. 

I love snails. They are like Pokémon to me... I’ve got to “catch them all!” This also comes in handy in that I also love freshwater pufferfish. Mainly the Tetraodon species from Africa. As far as I know, I’m still the only person in the Americas to have successfully breed the Tetraodon schoutedeni repeatedly. This is not a point of pride for me, as it makes me realize how bad of a teacher I must be. Although, there are a few people very close to success! 

My current project is to captive breed all the other Tetraodon species, minus species he Tetraodon mbu, that is just too large for my current setups. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Hi everybody, aleX from Astoria, NY.

I was into large cichlids for 5 years,  now back to dwarf ones, Apistogramma Cacatuoides.

I got a pair, they still babies, but 4 days into my tank they have babies on a large leaf of Anubias Coffeefolia. They couldn't wait 3 more days for the cave to arrive. 

20200616_090041.jpg

• Like 11
  • Love 1

Hi Everyone, I live close to Dallas, Ft. Worth. Tx. I have really hard well water, pH 9.2. I got an RO filter and I'm making my own water. I'm kinda new to fish keeping and have decided to keep "easy" fish who can tolerate higher pH, like CPDs, tetras, mollies, guppies. I got 11 Phoenix Rasboras a few months back. They also tollerate my higher pH Water. Theirs is about 7.6. I seem to love nano fish, most. Ive raised quite a few from eggs like the CPD's, Serpa Tetras, golden White Cloud Mountain Minnows, Danios. My Cory Catfish laid a bunch of eggs and I hatched some of them, too. I'm rather overwhelmed. Like 20 tanks. Or more. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Lynn M said:

Hello All, I'm from Land O Lakes, Florida.  Jon, great pictures of the parents and babies!🙂  I'm still learning how to navigate the forum and how to get pictures on here from my cell phone.

Thank you. Let's hope I can keep them alive.  They have spawned a few times but never hatched. Eggs either got fungus or got eaten by the parents. 

14 minutes ago, Jon G said:

Eggs either got fungus or got eaten by the parents. 

I would recommend you power feed the tank with live and frozen baby brine and frozen adult brine for the parents. That has been my most successful method for getting my ram parents to raise fry successfully. It also may just take a few more tries. Don't get discouraged if you wake up to find your cloud of fry has vanished. The nutrients the parents get from them will lead to then spawning again very soon.

1 minute ago, Augustjd27 said:

I would recommend you power feed the tank with live and frozen baby brine and frozen adult brine for the parents. That has been my most successful method for getting my ram parents to raise fry successfully. It also may just take a few more tries. Don't get discouraged if you wake up to find your cloud of fry has vanished. The nutrients the parents get from them will lead to then spawning again very soon.

Thanks for the advice.  Today is day one free swimming. I have been alternating vinegar eels and baby brine and feeding the parents as well when I feed the fry.  What's your advice on water changes while the fry are super tiny. Also I have read that after 2 to 3 weeks it's a good idea to separate the fry from the parents so they dont become snacks when the parents what to spawn again.  What are your thoughts on that? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jon G said:

Thanks for the advice.  Today is day one free swimming. I have been alternating vinegar eels and baby brine and feeding the parents as well when I feed the fry.  What's your advice on water changes while the fry are super tiny. Also I have read that after 2 to 3 weeks it's a good idea to separate the fry from the parents so they dont become snacks when the parents what to spawn again.  What are your thoughts on that? 

I would avoid doing too many water changes as I feel an excessive amount could be detrimental. I honestly didn't do any on my fry until I separated them. I would say it's a good idea to separate after a couple weeks as mine did cannibalize a significant number of fry when they spawned again. The only reason I didn't separate earlier was I wasn't sure whether to move the fry or adults. I think I'd recommend adults as they'd be less sensitive to the switch. Good luck!

• Thanks 1

Hello everyone. I'm George from southern Indiana. I have been back into fish keeping for a little less than a year. Last August I found a 10 gallon tank at a flea market that had everything I needed besides water and fish. And I'm up to 4 tanks now.

15947773327016511474794697830027.jpg

• Like 18
  • Love 1

Good morning from Myrtle Beach! 
Hi everyone, I’m Jackie and I’m only about 3 years into the hobby. It started with a castoff 29gallon tank that my adult son brought over as he upgraded himself to a 55 gallon. I have in a short time developed multi tank syndrome and we now have 6 in the house. All freshwater, as I’m too afraid of venturing into saltwater yet. There is a 29 gallon planted community, 2 guppy tanks, a betta tank a Shrimp tank, and our newest the 75 g African cichlids. I look forward to visiting this forum and meeting others who share my passion as only someone who is immersed as well can understand my enjoyment. Thanks! 

AAE04038-F4D6-4453-95D7-B2CA739C30BF.jpeg

2D403F9B-5001-4F71-A374-331C7F304732.jpeg

E706906D-FF1C-4802-9202-77AE40705854.jpeg

B4388BD8-D88A-4DD3-81C5-6876C25CC313.jpeg

• Like 3