What did you get done today?

Cory

Haven't posted in this thread for a while. But because of how productive my day was I thought I would share.

I had a plant order for my new 10 gallon that was supposed to arrive yesterday. But it was delayed due to the fact that my street is under construction. I've been talking with both the shipper and the seller, and we have decided that it would be best if I went and picked it up at post office. So the plan is to go tommorow and pick up the plants. So today my #1 Priority was to do the final touches the new tank to get it ready for planting. The tank was already filled, but was very cloudy at first. All though after adding activating carbon to a HOB it cleared up fast. I filled it up to the rim, added a heater, moved the spongefilter to the left corner and added a baby plant from my Bettas tank (Hygrophillia Siamensis, its been making babies left and right). Its a little cloudy now because i disturbed the substrate, but hopefully that should clear up soon.

image.png.625b87c93473886a32d0336dc44a6354.png

Also I decided to do a waterchange on my 40B Community Tank. I have no idea the last time I did a waterchange. 3 weeks? I knew @Streetwise wouldn't be pleased with my waterchange, but I did it anyways🤣. I also adjusted the lightning on the tank as I saw some BBA starting. Cory was right! Spending an hour with your fish tanks, you see all these things you never would have spotted.

image.png.f237f6765cbbcc9a30f9b2ef54402f14.png

I also wanted to clarify something. With the Dwarf Lilly bulbs should the roots be in the substrate?

image.png.518174f4c927414735c604bd49936d1d.png

And now a full rack picture:

image.png.abde303d74fd78347e18328150797ab9.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Finished 7 days in a row on service at the hospital so I’ve got 7 off. 
Built out a new 20 breeder for my son - we had a catastrophic die off in his last guppy tank. Felt like I purged those demons today.
Did a water change for my sons shell dwellers- got him a 20 breeder as well since if you get something for one kid you’ve got to do it for the other kiddo. Started to think about how to transition from this 10 g to the 20 breeder. 
Then did a water change on my redone shrimp bowl - not looking as sad. There’s a bacterial bloom underway which I’m encouraged about - will just have to water change our way through it. Tossed in some water lettuce and guppy grass to soak up some of the excess nutrients. 

790338CF-4064-45C6-813F-58E311E49164.jpeg

2B938581-B990-4B0B-963A-5051308BEDC9.jpeg

DA98438A-4663-4721-9576-EB816248311C.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Round 2 of my 20 breeder build outs -upgraded my sons shellies (Brevis) from a 10 g. Used the old substrate, plants, hard scape etc and upgraded to a lava rock base, sand and crushed coral substrate and through in some local obsidian along with my sons Oscar the Grouch, Sky and pirates chest. Through in some Fritz 7 and had just done a water change 2 days ago so used almost all the water. It’s clearing up as I type so fingers crossed no drama. 

9FC39DDA-E5BD-4306-9E9B-07FBE522232E.jpeg

0D1D22A7-2F2A-4CD5-B435-4A2D801ED6B3.jpeg

2D23827C-FF9A-4002-B46B-D60B35179F48.jpeg

8AF08C8F-6467-4445-805D-0780CB9E5606.jpeg

6EA1C3B0-AC9A-47AD-9A95-3DCEA1D4F41C.jpeg

694DB3E5-7EB4-4547-BABD-F2A9FA70908B.jpeg

• Like 5

Watched my little corner of happy in my office/spare bedroom while drinking my morning caffeine...then moved to stare at the community tank to ponder 🤔 getting a new centerpiece fish for it... didn't get anything done per se but I enjoyed it. 😉Have a great weekend everyone.

PXL_20210522_133307977.jpg

PXL_20210522_135550493.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Water changes for my sons’ new twenty breeders after checking parameters which showed the new build is on schedule cycling wise and the tank transfer (10 g shellies to a 20 breeder) had barely detectable ammonia, no nitrites and 40 nitrates so I did a water change there and will keep a careful eye on that one as it settles in. 

The sad bowl is going through some crypt melt and i did some trimming. I’d put in some guppy grass to help with the ammonia and bloom/spike from the stratum and it did the trick along with two nice water lettuces. Parameters show we’re still on our way cycling wise. Water has cleared. 

Just saw a corner bow front on FB marketplace. Sent it to my wife. Fingers crossed🤞!

B9C902C5-6E9F-4D71-B636-16A85037C9F7.jpeg

EB02B9B7-BE1A-476A-9F52-5AD71ECCDCCA.jpeg

F2181D8A-E1BF-436F-AFD2-2195C776D35A.jpeg

• Like 2

I love this thread!

Moved my powerhead sponge combo from the 55 to the 75 and replaced it with a much smaller pump for less movement.  Forgot Corys advice about bagging the sponge before lifting it out. what a mess. The other power head was too much for the chilis but the glowlights really like it and are busy surfing.

My wife surprised me with some Cryptocoryne wendtii, a couple tiger lotus, and a melon sword Friday. So I did the plant  shuffle and moved some monstrous jungle val runners out of her 55 to the kubotai tank in the other room. I am again reminded what a pain in the neck eco-complete is...

• Like 4

Harvested some wild moss(?) and trying to grow them out like SerpaDesigns style

Also locked myself out of my fish room and had to use a credit card to pick the lock😁 and by fishroom I mean my bedroom

IMG_20210526_000956.jpg

Edited by Daedalus
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, Daedalus said:

Also locked myself out of my fish room and had to use a credit card to pick the lock😁 and by fishroom I mean my bedroom.

Thank goodness you didn't have to break a window! 😅

• Like 1

So I technically did all this Monday 😅

I waterchanged my three tanks, threw out a ton of duckweed, got some credit for some subwassertang at my LFS, set up 2 new breeding projects, started a round of brine, glued some coral frags back down, added new fish to my tank, and cleaned my glass. Doesn’t sound like a lot but took me about 6 hours 😂 . I had to catch-up from being on a vacation haha.

• Like 2

Replaced all my canister medium prefilter sponges with aqcoop coarse...large then decided I now had beautiful aquarium for my centerpiece prefilters lol. So downsized to medium aq coop with center hole cut larger. My tanks are all 10 and 20 long. I have lots of magenta and albino mystery snails and bladder snails shrimp galore I give away by the dozen to control population and Plecos in them and of coarse guppies guppies and more guppies that’s why overkill for filtration.  Also stuck new aq coop coarse sponges in all of them to establish so I can get rid of the useless fine sponges. 

Rescued fry from new guppy quarantine tank with two girls who didn’t even look pregnant undergoing q trio meds....SURPRISE!

Replaced some led plant lights and the highlight ...planted two Anubis nana petite from aq coop in my sorority tank...oh my goodness they are perfect and soooo super healthy.  Aq coop is my now go to plant store!

• Like 3