What did you get done today?

Cory

Yesterday I started converting our outdoor porch area into an enclosure for my russian tortoise. She has an indoor porch she can run around in, but I'd like her to get some natural sun too. I planted a little hibiscus for her. We're going to remove that heavenly bamboo shrub since it's toxic and will probably plant more hibiscus; torties love hibiscus.

PXL_20210321_163516543.jpg.010929c283016dddb8be070809762288.jpg

PXL_20210321_163535544.jpg.739d656929f9ddc80726ed2f8e52ecea.jpg

And then today, I ordered a LOAD of stuff from ACO; my hubby gave me a shopping spree for my birthday! I wasn't sure if I wanted to wait until it's closer to my birthday (the 1st) or if I wanted to do it now, but since everything on my wishlist was in stock I decided to go for it! I'm so excited!

Edited by H.K.Luterman
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, H.K.Luterman said:

Yesterday I started converting our outdoor porch area into an enclosure for my russian tortoise. She has an indoor porch she can run around in, but I'd like her to get some natural sun too. I planted a little hibiscus for her. We're going to remove that heavenly bamboo shrub since it's toxic and will probably plant more hibiscus; torties love hibiscus.

PXL_20210321_163516543.jpg.010929c283016dddb8be070809762288.jpg

PXL_20210321_163535544.jpg.739d656929f9ddc80726ed2f8e52ecea.jpg

And then today, I ordered a LOAD of stuff from ACO; my hubby gave me a shopping spree for my birthday! I wasn't sure if I wanted to wait until it's closer to my birthday (the 1st) or if I wanted to do it now, but since everything on my wishlist was in stock I decided to go for it! I'm so excited!

What a happy tortoise you will have!  Do you have to put wood chips down or anything?  Or is he/she fine on the cement?

49 minutes ago, Lifeisgood said:

What a happy tortoise you will have!  Do you have to put wood chips down or anything?  Or is he/she fine on the cement?

She'll be fine on the cement. Her inside enclosure which she's in at night has substrate she can dig around in if she wants. 

• Like 1

Bought one of those metal stands from petco about a month ago for my 29 gallon I started. I went to mendards and bought some cheap wood-look paneling and cut it to fit the sides. I found a pair of cabinet doors that fit the front of it perfectly, so i slapped some stain and poly on them and mounted them on yesterday. Also cut some pine boards to fit inside and sit on the cross members on the sides of the stand. Turned out to be a pretty good looking stand for about $100. No more looking at my bad cord management!

(please go easy on my plaid pants in the tank reflection lol)

63561897081__5E6BE856-B7DD-449F-BF27-BFCCF375C642.jpg

63805831238__0BAD0014-A1CC-443F-B316-8A0B11A27C14.jpg

63805773400__1544D643-9310-487C-81DE-2ADF9F6F3194.jpg

• Like 10

I had to put a cardinal tetra down today. ☹️ I woke up this morning to find it struggling to stay upright. Its gills looked inflamed and its stomach looked distended with brown spots, while the rest of it looked super skinny. It’s part of a school that’s relatively new and still young, only about half way to full size. I’m not sure if it was showing signs yesterday, but I don’t think it was.

Unfortunately my quarantine tank’s heater recently broke, and I’m about to go out of town for a week, so I didn’t have what I would have needed to try to save it. But my (new fish nerm) instincts told me I wouldn’t have been able to save it anyway. On the off chance it was a bacterial problem I wanted to get it out of the main tank ASAP. So out came the clove oil. ❤️

• Sad 4

9 hours ago, Hobbit said:

I had to put a cardinal tetra down today. ☹️ I woke up this morning to find it struggling to stay upright. Its gills looked inflamed and its stomach looked distended with brown spots, while the rest of it looked super skinny. It’s part of a school that’s relatively new and still young, only about half way to full size. I’m not sure if it was showing signs yesterday, but I don’t think it was.

Unfortunately my quarantine tank’s heater recently broke, and I’m about to go out of town for a week, so I didn’t have what I would have needed to try to save it. But my (new fish nerm) instincts told me I wouldn’t have been able to save it anyway. On the off chance it was a bacterial problem I wanted to get it out of the main tank ASAP. So out came the clove oil. ❤️

We have to make those kinds of hard decisions.  You were considering the important things in the situation.  ❤️

• Thanks 1

Today I attached moss (labels say both Java and Christmas) to the driftwood, and potted some of the Bacopa plants for temporary placement in the quarantine tank for the guppies. I got moss water on my couch quilt so now I have to do "emergency laundry". The driftwood pic came out upside down.  

20210324_114700.jpg

20210324_114550.jpg

• Like 3

Received an order of fish! Gambusia mosquito fish went into the quarantine tank. Endler's livebearers (and fry!) went into the newly scaped 29g with some already establishing cherry shrimp. A betta went into a 5g tank set up and waiting just for him.

• Like 2

On 3/22/2021 at 11:20 AM, Rory Waliser said:

Bought one of those metal stands from petco about a month ago for my 29 gallon I started. I went to mendards and bought some cheap wood-look paneling and cut it to fit the sides. I found a pair of cabinet doors that fit the front of it perfectly, so i slapped some stain and poly on them and mounted them on yesterday. Also cut some pine boards to fit inside and sit on the cross members on the sides of the stand. Turned out to be a pretty good looking stand for about $100. No more looking at my bad cord management!

(please go easy on my plaid pants in the tank reflection lol)

63561897081__5E6BE856-B7DD-449F-BF27-BFCCF375C642.jpg

63805831238__0BAD0014-A1CC-443F-B316-8A0B11A27C14.jpg

63805773400__1544D643-9310-487C-81DE-2ADF9F6F3194.jpg

This looks awesome! Well done.

I got 4 species of plants that I've never had before, and my first Fluval light. When I took the lily bulb out of the bag, it looked like 2 stuck together, and it actually was! 🙂 A couple days ago, I got my first hornwort, and ramshorn snails. Gradually, I'm getting my tanks fixed up in a way that is more sustainable, and makes me smile. 

• Like 4

Finally finished setting up my planted 40G 

Update on the 40g finally got everything set up

Full spectrum lighting ✔️
300w heater✔️
Large sponge and aqua clear hob ✔️
Fluval stratum and black diamond sand ✔️
Brazilian pennywort ✔️
Java fern ✔️
Christmas moss ✔️

Now just to get my stock in the next few weeks my idea is 30 black neon tetras and a pair of dwarf cichlids on the bottom as showpieces.

PXL_20210326_150007435.jpg

• Like 7
  • Love 1