What did you get done today?

Cory

@StreetwiseI lived in upstate NY (Saratoga Springs and Albany) for 25 years before moving to MD for work in 2014. I've always loved VT! My ex's family is from a town north of Burlington and we'd visit them a few times a year. I thought Burlington was one of the most beautiful cities I'd ever seen. I'm happy to be in a cooler climate again because MD summers are just brutal.

• Like 1

My sump runs to a 4 inch sock, a baffle to a lower 4 inch sock, and then out to the main chamber. The first one has been running a mesh and the second a fleece roller. Didn't think two were possible until someone in another forum showed it could be done. Today I took out the first sock and replaced it with a second roller. Hopefully working in tandem with each other I can be hands off the mechanical filtration for a few months at a time. 

242183743_148824957437394_7968558858569050840_n.jpg

242104140_896878157878586_292480126204617009_n.jpg

242050171_181368517440297_4426554085524198520_n.jpg

On 9/16/2021 at 8:43 PM, ChemBob said:

I haven't heard of rollers before in sumps. How do they work? To be fair, I haven't looked into sums too much, but they do intrigue me. 

Water goes into a contained area and has to flow through the fleece to escape. The roller would have a water level sensor so as the fleece clogs, water level goes up and trips the sensor. When the sensor trips, the motor rotates the fleece roll exposing clean fleece. Water level drops and the cycle repeats itself. Some are large and built into the sump (Trigger system sumps come to mind). Mine is meant to drop into the filter sock holder of most sumps, comes in 4 or 7 inch sizes depending on your filter. The ones built into sumps are much larger sheets. If you DIY your sump at least this brand has something you can buy to just place in your sump and plumb to, then add the drop in roller. 

Don't see it in FW much but I converted from reef and loved not cleaning socks too often. This should allow me a lot more time of not cleaning anything. In my case water will flow through the first and then to the second. There is no water sensor on the first so when water level goes up, it will actually hit the emergency overflow to the second unit. When the second unit starts to clog, it will trigger both units to rotate fresh felt. If you have two sock holes at the same level it would allow for better flow than mine, but I am not going to dump my sump to make an extra part work. 

• Like 1

Today was a “recovering from a long overnight shift” day, so I didn’t do much with the tanks, but I did get my AR ‘Mini’ into the sponge caddy so hopefully it will successfully start its emerse growth.

I used a thin piece of filter sponge I had on hand and cut it in half to fit into each sponge caddy to make it look black, hide stems, and help the container to disappear. Then I filled each with some ceramic media I already had and wasn’t using, but it will hopefully work well to keep these fine stems in place while allowing lots of flow to keep the stems alive, allow for root development, etc.  And a little bonus surface area for beneficial bacteria and biofiltration from both the sponge and the ceramic rings.

It doesn’t look like much now, but hopefully it will in a couple months.  This is my first ever attempt at converting submerse grown plants to emerse, so wish me luck!  I just hope they don’t dry up before they adapt.  The suction cups were not working, so I had the hubs partially open a couple hooks to fit across the tank rim and hold up the caddy/planter.  Disregard the dirty glass.  😆 

66D7112C-DD9B-49F9-8D8A-31BA297A2D23.jpeg

1F7ED5D7-8BEE-4E8B-971C-3E11291BEA72.jpeg

10068EF5-B015-456A-8E7C-ED6BFD4E0A84.jpeg

• Like 5

Work has been too demanding for weeks.  We had a cold snap a couple weeks ago and i lost about half of my tub fish.  I failed to check the weather 😔. So i made an emergency evacuation of the remaining tub guppies from my porch to the garage and they’re doing fine.  About half of those tanks in the garage weren’t heated but the garage is insulated and the tanks are next to a big south facing window.  Algae galore!  But the guppies are fine. Then I decided to soothe myself from the guilt of guppy death by adding 2 new tanks in the house 😃 The top tank is my first time using actual plant substrate (partial) and the parameters are so different from all my others that I’m nervous about that.  Right now both tanks are just cycling with plants 🌱 & snails 🐌 

329C9FD6-ACE6-4F18-9BA5-F4B1A1020BEA.jpeg

81930B62-007B-4158-8533-5A8C4C90B036.jpeg

Edited by Picklepuppy
  • Like 5

On 9/16/2021 at 11:23 PM, Odd Duck said:

It doesn’t look like much now, but hopefully it will in a couple months.  This is my first ever attempt at converting submerse grown plants to emerse, so wish me luck!  I just hope they don’t dry up before they adapt.  The suction cups were not working, so I had the hubs partially open a couple hooks to fit across the tank rim and hold up the caddy/planter.  Disregard the dirty glass.  😆 

I’m just starting on purposeful emersed growth too. I’m having good luck and I think keeping the plants moist is a big factor. 

On 9/17/2021 at 4:55 AM, Picklepuppy said:

Then I decided to soothe myself from the guilt of guppy death by adding 2 new tanks in the house 😃 The top tank is my first time using actual plant substrate (partial) and the parameters are so different from all my others that I’m nervous about that.

The nice thing is the ammonia in the aquasoil will help jump start the cycle! (and probably the algae too 🙁)

• Like 2

Man this is a long-running thread. LOVE IT!

So what did i get done?

Besides mowing the lawn, I finished writing a simple app that would help me understand the weather forecasts in the towns of all the upcoming fish shipments I have for the week ahead.

The app pulls and correlates data from a number of places, like my shipping provider, OpenWeather, and a geo-locator service I use fetch longitudes and latitudes for zip codes. 

I got tired of clicking back and forth in Weather.com.

(Names are scribbled out to protect the innocent!)

511167445_ScreenShot2021-09-19at1_02_48PM.png.e9130d4c6535ab05ea31c42230f221fa.png

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 6

On 9/18/2021 at 8:02 PM, eatyourpeas said:

Had my first in-person shopping visit to the Coop. So fun! Great people, beautiful fish, and of course Murphy is way better in person!!!😍

Were any fish purchased? 🙂

Murphy is way better in person! I love they way he pays attention to whoever’s paying attention to him! 

• Like 2

On 9/19/2021 at 2:51 PM, Patrick_G said:

Were any fish purchased? 🙂

Murphy is way better in person! I love they way he pays attention to whoever’s paying attention to him! 

Not this time, but got some plants for my friend who is starting a nano. Did the "what if" fish trip, now he needs to go figure out how the tank will work. I see MTS in his future already! 🤪

Murphy was making faces with me and kissing the glass! 😍

@anewbie, Murphy is a beautiful Mbu puffer that lives at Aquarium Coop. He is stunning! You can watch him live here!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

Guess what y'all!! My landlord stopped by the other day and saw Cosmo's tank and loved it. She LOVES betta fish. She didn't say anything about tank number or size maximums, so I'm going to assume I am good to go for a 20 gallon tank. Yippee- a new guppy and __?___ tank is in my near future!!

Yesterday I went to two different petcos to see what kind of products they have. Neither one carried spirulina flake (!!??!!) but both have frozen foods. I also checked out the Boston Aquarium Society and the LFS websites, and it looks like there might not be quite as robust of a hobby here as there was in MD.

I ordered a 5 gallon acrylic tank and some substrate to start a possible species-only shrimp breeding setup, but need to check with a few LFS's to see if they're interested in buying/trading and what species/colors people want. I like them all (miss my yellow neos and blue bolts, tho).

The water here is pH 8.4 and I don't know if they use chloramines but suspect they do, so I guess it's spring water for Cos until I figure out what to do. Can't buy spring water for 3 or 4 eventual aquariums. GH and KH are both 5.

Cos is settled in and made a large bubble nest last night. I realized I don't have supplies with me to replant the crypts, so have to leave them floating till the furniture/boxes arrive. The roots look so awesome and I hope they'll be okay after replanting. 

20210920_102542.jpg.7c5a4c7e7fd7d7eb65a588eaaea7d233.jpg20210920_102550.jpg.2a0bb4b9d095ce8964fed5baed452fcd.jpg20210920_102631.jpg.dd5fa3aca709d687bfa1ccb7b7d82c47.jpg

• Like 4

Flushed and cleaned the chiller. It ended up being very easy but time consuming while waiting for the gunk to flush out. There wasn't much, but still enough to cause a raised eyebrow or two. Clean! 🤪 Ended up going the H2O2 route as I did not want to risk any chemical residue staying in there and then making it into the tank.

On 9/20/2021 at 7:23 PM, eatyourpeas said:

Flushed and cleaned the chiller.

See?  Is stuff like that, that makes me concerned about my chiller, which I've not cleaned in 4 years.  Temps are stable, so what could be wrong, right?  😬

Mine is a closed loop, with no waste in there, and I've never even added any new water, so I realize it is different.  But it still makes me worry.  I mean my tankless water heater for the house needs cleaning every so often...  🤔