What did you get done today?

Cory

On 8/13/2021 at 4:47 PM, ChefConfit said:

My 3 year old has been begging for a Betta since I watched the Betta Breeding presentation. Last night she won one at the fireman's fair! 

Meet Angelino! 

IMG_20210812_213303.jpg.e98ff89904ea0169327b35cf504d04e8.jpg

IMG_20210812_213742.jpg.532bc64c4cbb0385d3c0f2849afa0372.jpg

He's in quarantine now, so I've got to figure out a tank for my daughter's room

I've got to figure out it kind for my daughter's room. 

That betta's lucky day 🙂

• Like 1

@OnlyGenusCaps This is my sacred corner. I get to mix my own inks and egg tempera, as well as watercolors. A little bit of magic happens here and it smells like a church basement, but it is where I am most happy besides being around the tanks.

@Patrick_G I restore antique books. For example, this 1870 leather bound beauty went from this:

PXL_20210518_185117840.jpg.c0c4f10108dff0a7f600f6c35000adf5.jpg

PXL_20210518_185109304.jpg.d05c4aebb2d7190f7ca57e619b298b58.jpg

To this:

PXL_20210605_202517004.jpg.d2922a1b0ab8cb5413dadbd5b66b60f7.jpg

I was just born in the wrong century! 😉

• Like 4
  • Love 3

Well, it was yesterday, but...  I finally got my final drain lines set for my rack of tanks in the basement.  I had a "temporary" system in place, and you know how those things have a tendency to hang around longer than they should.  🙃

261951425_rackdraindone.JPG.1711f965459beffbb8b58b64b6ff0c79.JPG

The nice thing it they are all dry fit into place, so when I move those tanks up to the higher shelf (at some point) it will be easy to dismantle and replace the system.  It all drains into the utility tub (pretty it ain't).  Now I just need to wait for the last part and I can finish the install of the water input lines and the water changes can happen without me! 

• Like 4

On 8/15/2021 at 6:20 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Well, it was yesterday, but...  I finally got my final drain lines set for my rack of tanks in the basement.  I had a "temporary" system in place, and you know how those things have a tendency to hang around longer than they should.  🙃

261951425_rackdraindone.JPG.1711f965459beffbb8b58b64b6ff0c79.JPG

The nice thing it they are all dry fit into place, so when I move those tanks up to the higher shelf (at some point) it will be easy to dismantle and replace the system.  It all drains into the utility tub (pretty it ain't).  Now I just need to wait for the last part and I can finish the install of the water input lines and the water changes can happen without me! 

Looking great! @madmark285would be so proud of you with all those PVC lines! 😀

You water changes are going to be soooo easy! 🤢

On 8/15/2021 at 9:20 AM, eatyourpeas said:

Looking great! @madmark285would be so proud of you with all those PVC lines!

Thanks!

You think so?  That is a compliment of the highest order when it comes to PVC.  I'm not sure this project is even close to worthy.  I'll admit that I thought back to @madmark285's sage PVC advice often while doing the central airline in PVC though.

• Like 1

Took some time the last few days to work on the tank and try and get rid of some BBA. Working towards killing it all but it's never a fast process and slight adjustments until you get it right. Added CO2 Friday as Carbon dozing wasn't helping. Yesterday I pulled all of the easy planters and plants (bare bottom tank) and did a HP dip on them to knock it back while the CO2 hopefully helps as well as cutting down light intensity a bit more. Today though picked up a pair of SAE to hopefully snack on what is left and keep the tank clear. Went ahead and did a big water change on it as well. Will let it all run a week and see how it goes and adjust more if needed. 

Finally got around to gluing some of the Java Fern I've had floating around onto a piece of driftwood I bought a month ago. Adjusted the scape in my tank to make room for said driftwood. Cleaned off the lids, since they accumulate hard water stains and some cyanobacteria after a while. Replaced the battery in the digital thermometer, and may or may not have gouged out a small bit of my finger when doing that. (It's ok, just needed a bandaid!) 

• Like 2

I got jetskiiing done today.

Tomorrow will be a tank day if my muscles aren’t too sore.  Got to ride a variety of other peoples skis today ( and my own, of course), most of them specialty, aftermarket, stand-up skis. I haven’t run buoys in years and my legs, back, and oddly, my left elbow, keep reminding me of that!  Very fast, very fun skis!  But this old lady is TIRED!

Tomorrow I plan to tackle turning the 29 gallon from a messy, plant holding tank into a super heavily planted pea puffer tank. Or at least start the process.  I have a fair amount of cleaning to do, this tank has been rather neglected and is overdue for a deep clean.

I have a whole list of things that need to happen to this tank. I’ll save it for its own topic. 

• Like 2

Today I'm not doing much with my tank but I did spend about 5 minutes swearing at my Laetacara araguaiae; why am I swearing at these lovely fishes. Well actually I was only swearing at one of them. Because it was following my orange laser cory around and eating their eggs as they laid them. Mind you they were very adhesive and he had to take 2 or 3 bites to get it off but eventually.... Oh well. My hongsloi do the same thing with the sterbai eggs. I think when I move and have more space I'll put my sterbai and orange lasers together for a few months in a 20 long and get spotted orange laser or orange sterbai.... or whatever... [yea yea i know they can't cross breed but they can breed to their heart content without and only have to worry about eating their own eggs].

Well, I didn’t get as much done as I had hoped since my sore, jetski muscles are still crying.  But I did get plants bagged and sold to my LFS, and a few fish sold to them yesterday, some plants both days.

I got a total of $49.00 store credit and I’ve already used about $15.00 of it yesterday getting misc. stuff.  I still have more plants than I need and yet I will still likely buy some for the next couple tanks I’ll be converting from plant holding to fish tanks.  How does that keep happening?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Over the weekend I got a burst of organizing energy and got a lazy suzan to put in the fish food/dog medication cupboard so everything is easy to reach and looks tidy.

I trimmed plants and moved some around because I'm a tinkerer.

I moved my 5 white clouds from the QT tank to my community tank and sat watching it for a very long time to see how my betta and the bully guppies would adjust to them. Everyone was happy and minding their own business--apparently white clouds don't trigger the guppies and my betta is too drunk on baby snails to care about fish.

So then I had a few hours of admiring my happy tank and thinking "This really is the best hobby in the world! Look at the plants! Look at the happy fish not being dead or mean to each other!"

Then I saw a crack and leak in one of my QT tanks and water all over the kitchen counter and I noticed that one of my mollies in the other QT tank looked....not the best....And I was back in new fishkeeper Hades where I apparently am living out some rotten karma from my past life.

• Sad 1

On 8/21/2021 at 7:48 PM, silverspec04 said:

Rearranged my son's tank, cleaned it some, water change, and got some plants in order. IMG_20210821_193549.jpg.62a7b7b7a6e4168fbbf5a176c97523e5.jpg

IMG_20210821_193626.jpg

IMG_20210821_193611.jpg

Silverspec, what a great gift you're giving your son by helping him have such a life-filled tank with happy fish and plants!

So the hubs got me motivated to put up the pegboard kit I bought along with organizing some additional accessories.  I still need to get a paper towel holder and a hook for a towel on the fourth door in the 100 gallon stand.  Those are in my cart I just need to add a couple other things and push it through.

This was the project.  The pegboard panels themselves were not quite as big as I wanted, but they’ll work.  The panels are powder coated metal.  I didn’t want to use Masonite pegboard panels because I’m too lazy to paint them and if they get wet when unpainted, they’re ruined.  The magnetic knife bar may get the scissors so I can put more bins on the other door.  I don’t use that cheapo old knife much, it can go somewhere else.  I’ll have to play with the arrangement of everything a bit more.  The kit came with waaaaay more hooks and things than I’ll ever use, but the hubs can use them in the garage.

45F372DE-7745-428C-9A11-96F4AF9E69AD.jpeg

E0F2C023-A209-47A9-8F47-5BD5663AA6E4.jpeg

D3C19262-D566-43D9-9A7A-066696EAE41E.jpeg

• Like 5

Today I’m celebrating 3 months with the new tank (last one was 30 years ago) All algae are gone except the cyanobacteria. Didn’t have much success with Hygrophila polysperma, but the Valisneria (Tiger) is growing like crazy, sending out runners everywhere. All snails are still alive! (no escapes thankfully) 🐌 🎉

Edited by shapeshifter878
  • Like 2

Did the usual tuesday water change and lots of pruning. This is the current look:

vv3.jpg.c70e0ca347a34a674d39cf3490f985a8.jpg

There are three new plants sadly they don't really show up in the tank picture. There is a flamingo crypt on the right side; a giant pinto anubia in the middle and a large anubias frazeri on the left side. You can sort of see the Frazeri if you look carefully by the spray bar.  I think next time i'll take close up of them. They have been in the tank for a bit over two weeks and the flamingo has started two new leaves which is a good sign. One thing I absolutely hate about the light on this tank is the pictures look really bad - partly because it is so bright it produces a lot of flare but the spectrum is off a bit. The AR mini in the middle has taken off and the red stuff at the top is h'ra. It is not quite so pink but I think it is blowing out the red channel in the camera. In the future I think i'll go with onf or fluval as they produce better photos and we all know photos are important. In rl it looks a lot nicer and the anubia pinto really stands out. It is beneath the java fern/crypt in the center rare but it is about 8 inches long. The picture below is the tank from above.  The other thing i don't like about the picture is it doesn't show off the fishes. The borelli male is a spunky little fellow who likes to flash his fins at the Laetacara araguaiae who is at least 6 times larger and 10 times the mass. Spunky little fellow. The female is a bit more shy but now and then she pokes her nose out. Hum. What to do with those mystery snails. I wonder if the clowns are hungry... never every buy mystery snails - worse pest ever.

vv2.jpg.d6d46cfc4ab297e598a0afc9a28d2b85.jpg

• Like 6