What did you get done today?

Cory

On 7/17/2021 at 5:25 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

I have some of that in Qt right now for my P-Salt tank.  I didn't realize how much süßwassertang would feel like that plastic easter basket grass.  That or, I was sold a bunch of plastic...  Also, it holds together less well than I had imagined.  Weird stuff!

It does have that feel to it, for sure. I tried it a little while back and it is such an easy plant that decided to get more for the 12 gal. tank, which has a very ugly little cave in it that I am trying to hide. I would remove the cave, but the Amanos and Corys love the thing. 😞

In terms of holding well, once it comes into its own it looks like a beautiful kale salad. 🙂

• Like 2

Hers a before and after of my 36 gallon bow front. The after shot looks cloudy because it’s right after it got done with the water change and taking out several well rooted Cripts. It’s cleared up quite a bit now ☺️
Also, many of these plants came from the good people of Aquarium Co-Op! They’re doing so good that this is the second time I’ve had to cut back since I’ve gotten them 💙

8EA3EC02-AD96-4214-ADB2-CA64BA574440.jpeg

2D6DCAEE-B9FB-49E4-A0B4-EDF6301C726E.jpeg

• Like 6

Today was a breakup day. I am parting ways with my duckweed. Because I know it is a persistent green bit, it will follow me for a while, and it will have to confront the reality that I have replaced it with Salvinia articulata. I shall miss you Miss Weed, we did have some fun times together. 😔

• Haha 6
  • Sad 1

I got a Co-Op order this week with plants, food, and a pair of the new feeders. I started reading the instructions, and then programmed the feeding schedule. I mixed up some food, and then loaded it, and slid the door almost closed. I installed it, and then ran a test feeding on my bow.

A988D9D4-8B3B-40DF-9445-7D4877B69789.jpeg.c76bedbfe46fc48d9b23a79098c42a27.jpeg

3A640394-1526-44F9-8B7E-DC902FD839E2.jpeg.de464be4220bd1790f2a792366351016.jpeg

D51C43BE-B55E-476A-8428-4CD60F933A58.jpeg.42436f72ec1bbeebb10f796baf99c18f.jpeg

I was filming it with one hand, and as it rotated, I let out a few choice words as it dumped in a week’s worth of food! I netted out everything I could get to, removed the feeder, and reinstalled my HoB and got it running.

I went back to finish reading the instructions, and realized that there was a smaller sliding door for the actual feeding. Doh!

The tank is cloudy today, but slowly clearing. I still need to test, and maybe take more action. The Betta is fat now, but everyone seems ok.

BEF6223B-9779-4359-9E5F-B0D7BFF63317.jpeg.9a6ecb4df8a6432afa5512d15ac4bc93.jpeg

You can see my mistake right here:

02F8571B-BFF2-44B1-87F6-79A8C6477863.jpeg

I will be testing over an empty bucket before I use it on a tank now!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2

@Streetwise I have a couple similar feeders but used a couple different sizes of pelleted foods in them.  I was feeding Jack Dempsey fry.  I would mix a variety of very small pellets for my small baby mix and as they got bigger did the same with slightly larger sized mix of pellets.

What I’m getting around to saying in my oh, so verbose way, is that I struggled to get the feeders adjusted just right with pelleted food, even when they were all close to the same size.  I honestly don’t know how anybody could get this style feeder adjusted to accurately dispense a small amount of flake foods.  If the flakes were all small and pretty even size, maybe.  If you slide the dispensing door too small, it won’t dispense at all.  If you’re feeding a bigger tank, probably not as difficult to get the right amount.

I’ve seen pics where people adjusted the door nearly closed but still dispensing some, then put tape across part of it so it gives you an opening closer to a square hole instead of a long, narrow rectangle that’s open for a fair amount of time while the feeder is rotating.  This is probably your only chance of getting just a small amount of flakes.  You will also need to not have any oversize flakes or they will cause jams/clogs.

I would also run it *several* times while holding it over a bowl, paper towel, or piece of parchment paper and see how much it dispenses while you’re doing your adjusting.

I’ve seen feeders that have individual compartments on a horizontal rotating dial, that you fill with whatever food and the feeder drops the whole compartment into the tank.  This would not be able to feed as many meals before needing a refill, but might be safer on a small tank, when small quantities are needed, or when mixed foods are being fed.

@Odd Duck, the last photo shows the loading sliding door open, but the actual small feeding door closed. I should have completely closed the large door, and then tuned the small one. I think I can dial it in for the needs of this tank. I just hope everyone laughs at me, without repeating my error!

On 7/23/2021 at 3:55 PM, Streetwise said:

@Odd Duck, the last photo shows the loading sliding door open, but the actual small feeding door closed. I should have completely closed the large door, and then tuned the small one. I think I can dial it in for the needs of this tank. I just hope everyone laughs at me, without repeating my error!

I found it harder to dial in the feeding amount I wanted with the small sliding door than I expected it to be.  The door has to be open more than you might think to dispense anything at all and then it dispenses too much at once.  Do some trials *not* over your tank until you get it dialed.  Just sayin’.  😉 

• Thanks 1

Learning the timing for cleaning the SW V-Sump. The good news is it took a whole 10 minutes to extract, clean, and replace all layers. All parameters are still great! The not so good news is I don't think I have BB yet. I know, it's only been a month, but I am impatient... I did lower the tank temperature to 56F to keep the critters happy.

I found this jewel at City Hall while I was at the farmers market, and it made me happy!

PXL_20210724_163212219.jpg.db0cb13512ae3fc982066505f1168ba5.jpg

• Like 4

Found out that there are Phosphates in my tap water. So, today I picked up some Phosguard to put in my filter, and some Amano Shrimp to get rid of my hair algae problem. 

Hopefully this is the solution. 

Edited by Jeff
  • Like 1

On 6/9/2021 at 11:50 AM, Maggie said:

Today I brought 8 young firecracker guppies to the LFS - donation only! Kevin said they were gorgeous! But it's all good, sorta, because I've decided now is the time to put my house on the market and rehome my fish and tanks.  I already have a LFC member taking everything - fish, shrimp, plants, tanks, equipment, decor - except for Cosmo and his tank. My neighbor put his house on the market just a few days ago, and it is already pending sale well above asking price. I was going to wait until next spring but have decided to see if i can sell mine now. I have very mixed feelings about this whole thing. Devastation of having to get rid of these tanks I've put so much time and money(!!!) into, but relief that the fish I have fallen in love with will have a home, and I am free to move on a moment's notice when the house sells. I might be able to start over again in my new home if there's room, but will at least have my precious Cosmo. 💔💔

Yikes!  That is a hard one!😢 

This week:  Ended the 6 month experiment using lava rock directly from a garden path. I replaced the lava rock with sand. The results are inconclusive.  I should have removed the DIY Matten filter first.  OMG so much sediment in the water.

Two days ago:  The sediment had finally settled enough to see the outline of the plants.  so I vacuumed the gravel and the plants.  I realized that the lights and the water pump for the Matten filter were on the same switch. The pump no longer has any moving parts.

Today:   Did the second and hopefully last water change and gravel vac to remove silt from the new sand substrate.

Did the usual wednesday water changes on my white 29, black 29 and 120. Here is the 29 white. I had purchased 10 cardinals from wetspot last week for the 120 but they were angelfish snack size so i put them in the 29 for now... The hongsloi was not super pleased but he is mostly tolerant. That tank is a bit crowded now as it has approx 31 fishes. How many can you find ?

29w_jul_28_2021.jpg.d479ba1ebf4ecbf2069c31a131a4c5d6.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/28/2021 at 11:39 AM, anewbie said:

Did the usual wednesday water changes on my white 29, black 29 and 120. Here is the 29 white. I had purchased 10 cardinals from wetspot last week for the 120 but they were angelfish snack size so i put them in the 29 for now... The hongsloi was not super pleased but he is mostly tolerant. That tank is a bit crowded now as it has approx 31 fishes. How many can you find ?

29w_jul_28_2021.jpg.d479ba1ebf4ecbf2069c31a131a4c5d6.jpg

The Cardinals look great against the greenery. What do you have in the right corner? Is it a matten type filter?