What did you get done today?

Cory

Had to do some moving around today. 

I woke up and checked on my newly added rummy nose tetra. I only counted 6 tetras (I bought 10). At first i thought there are probably some hiding, after all i did just add them the evening before. But then around noon I fed the tank. Figured the other 4 would come out and eat. Nope. still just 6 rummynose. At this moment I started looking for them. But still no luck. So I started thinking perhaps either the upside down catfish or the angelfish decided to snack on them last night. After all there not fully grown. So to take percautions I moved all the rummy nose tetra to hugos tank. I figured hugo wouldn't mind some company. He used to have other neon tetra freinds, so I figured he would enjoy the rummynose. Turns out he didn't. He started chasing them all around. So I caught hugo and put him in the new shrimp bowl (doesnt have any shrimp yet, soon though).

So to sum it all up:

Rummynose in Hugos Tank

Hugo in the shrimp  bowl

20210902_175606.jpg.ee499876aee5933b08298d735d355e9e.jpg

I think hugo is enjoying his little vacation!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Finally planted plants and added rocks a second piece of driftwood and a black background to the new 125 after the move to the new house. Everybody seems happier with the security of rocks and plants on the substrate.

The baby hillstream loaches were trying out the frozen bloodworms.

CE784D36-E394-4991-BD14-C35BA09BABFA.jpeg

F5A71D2E-1004-4A4C-A9E8-547C2C2034B5.jpeg

• Like 10

This weekend's acquisitions:

10 cherry shrimp

1 purple betta (I think his name will be Eggo)

1 onion nerite snail

1 bamboo shrimp- been wanting one for awhile.  I am so enjoying watching this little prehistoric looking creature pray to the food gods with his "gimme, gimme" hands out.

On the "to be continued" list":  pea puffer and red teacup platies (no one has either right now!)

Tomorrow - supplies and new plants arrive from Aquarium Coop, can't wait! 

20210906_182818.jpg

20210906_183101.jpg

20210906_183950.jpg

Edited by mommygourami
Typo
  • Like 3

On 9/6/2021 at 9:42 PM, mommygourami said:

This weekend's acquisitions:

10 cherry shrimp

1 purple betta (I think his name will be Eggo)

1 onion nerite snail

1 bamboo shrimp- been wanting one for awhile.  I am so enjoying watching this little prehistoric looking creature pray to the food gods with his "gimme, gimme" hands out.

On the "to be continued" list":  pea puffer and red teacup platies (no one has either right now!)

Tomorrow - supplies and new plants arrive from Aquarium Coop, can't wait! 

20210906_182818.jpg

20210906_183101.jpg

20210906_183950.jpg

I have been wanting to have some bamboo shrimp too.  Do you know if they get along with Amano shrimp and whether or not you need to target feed them?  My tank has a fair bit of current and I feed mostly frozen brine shrimp, blood worms some flake food and sinking pellets.  From what you have learned, would I need to change how I feed?

On 9/7/2021 at 6:25 AM, Lifeisgood said:

I have been wanting to have some bamboo shrimp too.  Do you know if they get along with Amano shrimp and whether or not you need to target feed them?  My tank has a fair bit of current and I feed mostly frozen brine shrimp, blood worms some flake food and sinking pellets.  From what you have learned, would I need to change how I feed?

From the research I have done, they are "filter feeders" so they eat food that is in the water column.  There needs to be some fllow in the tank so they can grab it with their little paws.  Mine in the picture is standing beneath the output of my hang on back filter, catching food as it gets pushed out by the water flow.  

I presume when we feed our fish, lots of debris already gets into the water column, so I doubt you will have to feed differently.  I have lots of leftover fry food though, so I will probably be squirting that in the tank from time to time for him since it is a really fine powder that will definitely get into the water column.  

I have a couple amano shrimp as well and no problems so far.  These bamboo shrimp are super docile and leave everything alone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Did the usual tuesday hacking on the 40B. Most of it is under control but the green fuzzy stuff is starting to take over the tank. Guess i'll have to take an axe to it next water change. Also adjusted the wb of the light using @Mmiller2001 setting so pictures are a little nicer but still lots of glare; but adjusted angel to reduce glare:

2.jpg.842cbf7fea2be2d26d9a5f68f299c9ad.jpg

and from the top:

3.jpg.18b00608bb5706357d7003a6636308ec.jpg

and of course not pictured is a bag of cut plants thrown away....

• Like 5
  • Love 3

White balance?

On the what did I get done, got the trim glued on the plant table I've been working on. Now just need to finish sand and  seal it. I think I may be able to sneak in a nano tank on the end of it 🙂

Edited by Griznatch
add more
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/7/2021 at 9:47 AM, anewbie said:

Did the usual tuesday hacking on the 40B. Most of it is under control but the green fuzzy stuff is starting to take over the tank. Guess i'll have to take an axe to it next water change. Also adjusted the wb of the light using @Mmiller2001 setting so pictures are a little nicer but still lots of glare; but adjusted angel to reduce glare:

2.jpg.842cbf7fea2be2d26d9a5f68f299c9ad.jpg

and from the top:

3.jpg.18b00608bb5706357d7003a6636308ec.jpg

and of course not pictured is a bag of cut plants thrown away....

Looks great. Love how vivid it looks.

Added 6 cardinal tetra to my 34g today bringing me closer to being fully stocked.

Currently in the tank there is

9 black phantom tetra

3 red phantom tetra 

6 Otocinclus 

4 panda corydora

Just want to add another 6 red phantoms and 6 more cardinals and then a pair of apistogramma (tank is way over filtered for size). Have also managed to find the balance I want with the algae to get the more natural look I want. 

IMG_20210907_174352.jpg

• Like 5

• Administrators
On 9/8/2021 at 9:04 AM, eatyourpeas said:

Did a visual inspection under the house (😳) to see if I can get away with the new load for the river tank... Not looking great so far, so scouting for a new location and balancing cost of structural reinforcement or electrical work to enable new location. Sigh! 🙄

You must really want the new river tank to go through structural reinforcement to add it! Good luck...hope you find a good spot!

On 9/8/2021 at 10:04 AM, Zenzo said:

You must really want the new river tank to go through structural reinforcement to add it! Good luck...hope you find a good spot!

Ahhh, but you see, it is the challenge that attracts me to these sorts of projects. Whether it materializes or not, the learning process is what I love the most!😀

• Like 4

• Administrators
On 9/8/2021 at 10:43 AM, eatyourpeas said:

Ahhh, but you see, it is the challenge that attracts me to these sorts of projects. Whether it materializes or not, the learning process is what I love the most!😀

Yep, I am totally with you there. Sometimes the fun is the journey itself!

Committed 3 of 9 to the heap.  The last of my original Tinfoil Barbs, and the last of the named fish. This normally doesn't bother me, but after 10 years, you can get attached to a fish  I usually make a mental note of size and weight, but his tankmates had already begun working on him so there was no point

3of9.jpg

• Sad 3