What did you get done today?

Cory

On 10/4/2021 at 2:12 AM, ApiApi said:

Oh absolutely!

That is usually how it goes, is it not?  Most of what I have bred has been deliberate, but pretty much allways in response to me seeing breeding behaviour in their display tanks.

The persephones are some gorgeous-looking fish.  As for the wild vs. tank raised, IMHO, it is all about context, but I am thinking 'What did you get done today?' might not be the best place for that discussion 😅

However, getting it established as a tank bred species in the hobby has to start with wilds at some point, and I think that is especially the case with a lot of the wild-type bettas.  Being as 'new' and obscure as a lot of the species/strains are, I am afraid we might soon run into problems with the genetics should we pick the broodstock from tank raised individuals only.

From your choice in meassurements I am guessing you are from the US?  I am Norwegian myself, so I probably do not know anyone who could get them to you, but I will keep my eyes and ears open in case I come across some online in the US or with world-wide shipping. 

If you were interested in tank raised Apiapis, however, you could try Taylor from Simply Betta on YT.  I cannot guarantee that she is shipping, or is even willing to part with some, but I know she has a group that seems to have been breeding well for her.

Yes, US.  😆 We do tend to be an egocentric bunch.  🙄 I try to remember to include other measurements when I’m aware other countries are involved, but I forget sometimes and sometimes I’m just lazy.  @Keeg drew them to my attention as a species that could be housed and bred in groups and are small enough they would be an option for my 20 gallon long (90 cm, 75 L) once I move my pea puffer shoal to their larger tank (110 L).

If it’s a species I can help by raising and providing to the trade to reduce wild harvesting, I’m all for it.  I’m just a bit concerned about being part of that wild harvesting.  You are probably right about limiting genetics too early in establishing a colony, though.

I’ll probably set up a topic for this once I get closer to being ready for the fish.  Thanks for the tip on the B. api api’s.  I’ll make a note of that.

• Like 1

I found more Corycat fry in my community tank and one is giant like a month old or close to it compared to my 1-2 wk ones. I never knew it was in my tank moved some things around and did water change and boom almost 3/4th in fry. So freaking excited about my corycats breeding. Total surprise. And Im in love 😍

• Like 3

I’ve been catching cory fry (and bristlenoses, snails, and even an adult cory!) in my small, soda bottle fish trap.  I’ve caught seven so far and they’ve gone into a nicely established grow out tank.  It’s the tank Bad Pea Daddy used to be in, right now it’s got a couple fake plants, a bunch of tiny terra cotta pots, and a nice driftwood piece that’s got a couple different epiphytes on it.

I never even thought the bristlenoses and the adult cories would fit into this fish trap.  Just goes to show, when they’re determined, they’ll find a way.

Also shared some plants (mostly floaters but also a few others), a bunch of ramshorn snails, and a few mystery snails with my friend.  He gave me some MTS for my new puffer tank (I’m not adding any to the old tank since puffers will be coming out of there soon), and some hornwort.  I’m hoping locally grown might give me better luck.

I also gave him a couple 10 gallon tanks (one super scratched but holds water, one has nice glass but leaks {please take them out of my house! 😆}) and a 20 gallon tank with a little hazing and light scratches, and he will bring me blackworms in trade for the well used 20 when he orders in bulk again.  I consider it a win!  We spent over 2 hours catching up and talking fish!  A good afternoon!

• Like 4

I set up a 10 gallon tank to throw plant trimmings into - no equipment other than a kit light I ripped out of a hood. I figure I'm probably a month or two out from a couple new tanks, so saving the trimmings might make more sense so I'm not buying more plants down the road.

Definitely gonna have to get some Crypt Pink Flamingo and Florida Sunset, though! I've been eyeing those for a while.

• Like 2

On 10/3/2021 at 5:11 PM, Odd Duck said:

My current wish species is B. persephone but I’m looking for a tank raised breeding group but I’m afraid I may have to go for wild caught to find any at all.  That isn’t really my goal, I want to push wild caught out of the hobby by providing tank bred fish, not encourage more to be pulled from the wild.  

This actually ties in with what I got done today.

This morning I collected more algae to feed Watson in the QT. He's more active in the warmer tank.... which means he eats more. Houdini is going to have the 4' completely de-algaed by the end of the month.

Who knew that I would be complaining that I couldn't grow enough algae fast enough?🤷‍♂️

All fish had to make do with flake food today, because I had class tonight. Who knew old dogs could still learn new tricks?

My breakout room tonight included a student from Mexico, a student from Malaysia, and a student from Brazil.

After we finished answering the 3 questions, we talked about the aquarium trade. They watch Cory on YouTube, and wish he could take a team to where they are to help promote ecotourism and environmental stewardship. 

Guess what happens when ARK gets involved with the 'fish tour guides' in various countries?

Locals have more job otions, the government is more willing to invest resources in the area, balancing out the huge wealth discrepancies, health care improves, and the water quality improves.

So my aquarium "touch nature daily" expanded from taking care of fish and snails this morning, answering a few questions in the forum, to a lecture on animal husbandry and water quality of rivers and delta basins and how the fishkeeping industry has the potential to heal our globe... one fishing village at a time. 

• Like 3

I did this morning water change on the 40; and I haven't posted  a picture in  a while - so here are a few of the current state:

y1.jpg.ca06712ced0917a3af0fe3fb65c5c626.jpgy2.jpg.b8d4384fda4ddfa807ee06301ae7a8d4.jpg

The above was after two weeks of heavy pruning of the rotala so some light could reach the bottom. Sadly I notice these pests on the side just as I was starting:

y4.jpg.496c20460189365f1cb5704eeda5d0e2.jpg

They are every where - millions of them I'm sure. And this folks is why you should never ever keep a male bn with a female bn even in a community tank with lots of predators. I'm sure there are some larger ones from a couple of months ago in the back as I've seen a few flashes of yellow here and there but hunting them down - well I will need to find a hunter.... They don't seem much interested in moving to the front where I can actually catch them.... unlike the little ones that hide behind the side pumps.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

On 10/5/2021 at 12:16 PM, Odd Duck said:

What all is involved with the fish tour guides?

Have you watched the videos of Cory and everyone in Peru?

I'll see if I can refind the link to the video of the eco-responsibility  Co-op helped sponsor. 

I don't want to misrepresent the work being done.

On 10/5/2021 at 10:41 PM, Torrey said:

Have you watched the videos of Cory and everyone in Peru?

I'll see if I can refind the link to the video of the eco-responsibility  Co-op helped sponsor. 

I don't want to misrepresent the work being done.

Only small parts of it.  I’ll see if I can find time this weekend.

Everyone seems to be settling into my shrimp/snail tub okay. Did a water change today, and found these guys going out on an epic quest when I got home - giddy up, Turbo!

uk0O8JX.jpg

Does anyone who knows more about shrimp than I do know what this little bit of white coloration is? It seems to come and go on shrimp all the time, especially after a tank move.

jMuDiWL.jpg

I'm still obsessed with these snails. I mean, they're purple. Where else are you going to get that in the freshwater hobby, besides a couple shrimp variations and maybe Purple Harlequin Rasboras (and I'm sure some cichlids and a million other fish I can't think of):

OxitUID.jpg

These tubs are like $7 a piece at Meijer. I'm a big fan - they don't provide great clarity, but are fish-safe and are sturdy enough.

ugOtGex.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/6/2021 at 9:15 AM, Odd Duck said:

Only small parts of it.  I’ll see if I can find time this weekend.

The Peru videos give a glimpse at the benefits of eco-tourism. 

This series shows a more in-depth explanation of why banning wild fish might not yield the results we hope for:

There is also a part 2, that really ties everything together. 

• Like 2

On 10/7/2021 at 1:55 AM, Torrey said:

The Peru videos give a glimpse at the benefits of eco-tourism. 

This series shows a more in-depth explanation of why banning wild fish might not yield the results we hope for:

There is also a part 2, that really ties everything together. 

Thank you for this. I think it is awesome that the collecting they do is not actually depleting the population but allowing fish that would otherwise perish to have a chance at life. That they self regulate rather than greed accumulate warms the heart. I already have part 2 marked to watch 😍

On 10/6/2021 at 6:57 PM, Chris said:

Everyone seems to be settling into my shrimp/snail tub okay. Did a water change today, and found these guys going out on an epic quest when I got home - giddy up, Turbo!

uk0O8JX.jpg

Does anyone who knows more about shrimp than I do know what this little bit of white coloration is? It seems to come and go on shrimp all the time, especially after a tank move.

jMuDiWL.jpg

I'm still obsessed with these snails. I mean, they're purple. Where else are you going to get that in the freshwater hobby, besides a couple shrimp variations and maybe Purple Harlequin Rasboras (and I'm sure some cichlids and a million other fish I can't think of):

OxitUID.jpg

These tubs are like $7 a piece at Meijer. I'm a big fan - they don't provide great clarity, but are fish-safe and are sturdy enough.

ugOtGex.jpg

My neos do this to a lesser degree just prior to molting. If your shrimp are molting shortly after and have no trouble molting there is nothing to worry about. If they are staying like this for extended periods or are having molting issues. Check your water quality and ph. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

On 10/7/2021 at 7:40 AM, Guppysnail said:

My neos do this to a lesser degree just prior to molting. If your shrimp are molting shortly after and have no trouble molting there is nothing to worry about. If they are staying like this for extended periods or are having molting issues. Check your water quality and ph. 

Water tests fine - I assume they're just beginning to molt! I know some inverts stress-molt after moving tanks, so I guess it'd make sense for shrimp to do the same sometimes.

On 10/7/2021 at 12:47 PM, Chris said:

Water tests fine - I assume they're just beginning to molt! I know some inverts stress-molt after moving tanks, so I guess it'd make sense for shrimp to do the same sometimes.

All new shrimp or ones I move from tank to tank even with same parameters molt shortly after a move. 

• Like 2

On 10/7/2021 at 5:58 PM, Flumpweesel said:

Added an air stone, put foam defuser on power filter outlet. Hoping to remove power filter (secondary filter) in favour of airline for flow

Ever since I started watching Co-Op videos (almost 6 years ago now! Sheesh, how time flies!) I started switching out power filters for air stones and HOBs on my freshwater tank. It just makes more sense in every way, for most tanks.

• Thanks 1

It's been an eventful day for my hobby.

I had "the fish itch" today, so I went to a LFS and ended up spending wayyyyy more than I meant to. I got:

• A Seapora 5.5 Gallon Tank
  • An Aquatop MaxFlow MCP-1 Powerhead
  • A Perfecto Glass Lid for the 5.5
  • 3 "assorted Crypts" (I'm thinking maybe Wendtii, Tropica, Spiralis, or Lucens? There's a couple different species)
  • Jungle Val
  • A pair of Golden Wonder Killies for my Brackish Tank
  • 12 Ghost Shrimp (finally!)
  • 2 lbs of live rock (for the 5.5)
  • A mystery 4" pleco. Lady said it came in with a bag of tetras by accident, and that they didn't know what kind it was. I got it for $4.99. It doesn't look like a common, but I'm guessing it's one of the larger species. He went into my flowerhorn tank, unless Nanaue decides to be mean.

I'll be posting all kinds of pics later! Painting the 5.5 and acclimating fish to brackish water, at the moment.

• Like 2

Today I had a total change of plans day.  I mentioned setting up the new ten gallon as a breeding project, and a friend I was talking to said, "You should have told me you were looking for a tank.  I'm trying to find someone to give my 30 gallon and the stand it's on to."  Full stop.  A picture and some measurements later, we were making plans to bring his 30 gallon to my house sometime in the near future, which I will use as my office backdrop and the breeding project. (Still looking at shell dwellers.  Tried to check a few stores for them today, just the big boxes, not planning to find anything.  I got extremely frustrated at the tag "Assorted African Cichlids."  Some of them looked like neolamps, but I couldn't be sure.  Anyway, I digress.

So then I had the new ten gallon to find a use for.  Enter my 6.5 gallon southeast Asia biome, home to my kuhlis and Steve the betta.  They are now enjoying a larger home.  I'll add pics in a while, maybe a day or two, once they get comfortable and come out of their hiding places.

• Like 3
  • Love 4