Other Pets

Cory

8 hours ago, Duane Perry said:

I found this little guy in a tree and bottle fed him. He is allot larger now. We love him but he is biting my little girl and running up behind her and grabbing her lag and biting but not super hard. It's somewhat playful but to aggressive. Any tip on how to stop this type of behavior? 

It looks like you've got the "corrective" suggestion, but you need a balanced approach. If you're not already, you need to make sure you keep your kitten stimulated as well. You should show him the ways you want to play (string toys, tossing little mouse toys). Have multiple daily play sessions. If he isn't getting the playtime he wants, he's going to go out and find it by chasing people around or knocking things off tables, etc. Show him he can bite and claw the toys all he wants. When he bites or claws you (or any human), playtime is over. You get up and walk away. 

Make sure you provide hiding places and things he's allowed to climb and scratch. When he scratches something he shouldn't, pick him up and take him to a scratching post he's allowed to scratch. When my cats were younger I would scratch the posts myself with my nails and put their front paws on the scratching post so they got the idea. They still occasionally scratch things they shouldn't, but a stern "hey" as a reminder and they remember their manners and stop, but they use their designated scratching posts like 90% of the time.

Good luck!

Edited by dublicious
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, dublicious said:

It looks like you've got the "corrective" suggestion, but you need a balanced approach. If you're not already, you need to make sure you keep your kitten stimulated as well. You should show him the ways you want to play (string toys, tossing little mouse toys). Have multiple daily play sessions. If he isn't getting the playtime he wants, he's going to go out and find it by chasing people around or knocking things off tables, etc. Show him he can bite and claw the toys all he wants. When he bites or claws you (or any human), playtime is over. You get up and walk away. 

Make sure you provide hiding places and things he's allowed to climb and scratch. When he scratches something he shouldn't, pick him up and take him to a scratching post he's allowed to scratch. When my cats were younger I would scratch the posts myself with my nails and put their front paws on the scratching post so they got the idea. They still occasionally scratch things they shouldn't, but a stern "hey" as a reminder and they remember their manners and stop, but they use their designated scratching posts like 90% of the time.

Good luck!

Thank you very much for the direction. I grew up with dogs but never cats so I have very little experience. 

• Like 2

On 7/14/2020 at 2:57 PM, Duane Perry said:

I found this little guy in a tree and bottle fed him. He is allot larger now. We love him but he is biting my little girl and running up behind her and grabbing her lag and biting but not super hard. It's somewhat playful but to aggressive. Any tip on how to stop this type of behavior? 

20200517_230820.jpg

If you are around when she starts to run at your daughter or playing too rough use a spray bottle with water in it and give her a spritz or two.  Hopefully, that will give her the message that the behavior is not acceptable.

On 7/14/2020 at 5:01 PM, Steph’s Fish and Plants said:

My roommate is currently raising a black lab for Leader Dogs. It was so much fun. It’s gonna be hard giving her back when she’s not a puppy anymore 

Everyone asks "isn't it hard to give them up?"  Well, yes, yes it is.  Very. Hard. 

You know the deal when you start, and we work very hard to make sure they're ready.  We get sad when they are doing well in their training. "Aww... the end is coming." 

We turn one in, and get a fresh one, and start all over again with cute-little-know-nothing.

That's why I like fish... keep 'em for life, and no house training!

• Like 1

On 7/14/2020 at 7:31 PM, Irene said:

That's so cool! I want to help raise service dogs someday, but gotta wait till my kids are older and I have more free time.

We started when my children were in college and I could work from home.  There are training classes at least once a week and there's a fair amount of travel to get to them.

We said hello to you when we were checking out of the hotel at Aquashella; we had black Labrador retriever.  Enjoyed your talk, and as always, the videos.

• Like 1

20200717_1254.JPG.c392f0c8d693c9faedff2d4d67c600d5.JPG

Wink, so called because as a feral kitten he was chewed on by a coyote and lost an eye. He has always had trouble drinking water because he can't judge where the surface of the water is. Wink's solution is drink out of my angelfish tank. He jumps up on top and slaps at the water with one of his paws. Satisfied that he knows where the water is he finally can take his drink.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Not our pet but we have been caring for a European Starling since the start of this Covid thing.  Knows quite a few words & phrases and also mimics crickets and a cat meow!   I'll try and get some video of his speech this weekend.

Some of what he says.

Come here

Where's the kitty

What are you doing

Bird bird bird bird bird bird

It's especially funny when he starts jumbling them together!

Oh and he also has a couple laughs.

• Like 1

Jojo and Coco -- the puppy is Jojo, just adopted at the end of May. According to the dog DNA test we did, she's part Amstaff, Great Pyrenees, and Boxer. 

We adopted Coco two years ago. She's half Amstaff, with some Australian cattle dog and Rhodesian ridgeback mixed in.

JojoandCoco.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

My other pets include 

Sofie ..white cat. She is my bf, follows me everywhere and has to be involved in everything I do. We watch aquarium co-op videos together on the weekends.

Lilly...grey cat. She is a little more aloof than Sofie. She has catitud..lol

Ammo..chi terrier mix pupper. 

IMG_20191213_081613_816.jpg

20190928_092404.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1