Other Pets

Cory

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry for my rambles again. I have a habit of telling stories or giving long explainations when answering topics, so bear with me. I have kept several pets over the years. I really got into guinea pigs in second grade, so after badgering my parents about them and doing plenty of research on them, I finally got one from PetSmart, naming him Azariah. Unfortunately, Azariah died within a week of purchasing him. Apparently, he had respiratory problems before we got him (sorry I don't have any pictures of Azariah). So we went to PetCo the next day and picked up to small guinea pigs, naming them Daniel and Samuel.

Daniel is the younger one. He is a tricolor abyssinian guinea pig. He loves to eat, his favorite food being carrots. He is also very territorial (despite being smaller) and likes to assert his dominace. He is the more active of the two.

Daniel during floor time (he is in the box now, but they are allowed in and out of the box during playtime the box is just so we can carry them to and from their cage and also as a place to urinate while outside the enclosure):

Daniel.JPG.d44dc258e8796c3766bf15b7b65e932d.JPG

Samuel, or "Shammy," is a tricolor abyssinian silkie mix. He is very laid back, and likes to sleep. His favorite food is lettuce and pea flakes. He is a very picky eater, outright refusing certain vegetables (we will give him baby spring mix from Costco and he will eat every type of green except for the spinach, we he deliberantly takes out of his mix and avoids). He doesn't mind being subordinant, but gets stressed when he is bullied. He also doesn't like change, and gets stressed when something isn't quite right.

829708745_ShammySelfie.jpg.a86cca8f235adfd45eb5dbfaff0222bf.jpg

Shammy taking a selfie.

532952516_Shammy(1).jpg.1b6dbc89f01869ab5faa53347acaa6f3.jpg

Shammy during floor time with a carrot.

IMG_7969.PNG.f48f30a2ff2705076b11a1974d930f13.PNG

Samuel and Daniel playing on the sidewalk.

Daniel passed away suddenly one day while I was coming home from school in 7th grade.

Shammy lived, enduring several sicknesses including a runny nose, sneeze, and lethargy (probably a cold of some sort). Unfortunately, his last case of the sneezes didn't go away. We frantically arranged a vet appointment, (me and my siblings still being in online school, while my mom decided to drive 25 minutes to see the vet). When my mom got to the vet she had her wait in the car due to COVID, while Shammy had to wait in his carrier in the waiting room with all the dogs and cats. This probably made him very stressed, and they finally got to him after around 30 minutes. He was taken home, but continued to stay lethargic and passed away that evening.

RIP Shammy, Daniel, and Azariah, you will be missed. Looking back, I could have given them a much better life by providing a bigger enclosure.

I highly advise new guinea pig owners:

• Get a large cage, the ones for guinea pigs are not big enough. Opt for a rabbit enclosure to build your own (best option, I wish I could've done this, but we were limited on space at the time).
  • Always make sure guinea pigs are kept in groups, as they are social/herd animals. Similar to the situation in the aquarium hobby with Corydoras, they need to be with members of their own kind, even if pet stores don't say they do.
  • Provide toys, beds, hidey huts (this is very important!), and clean bedding to your guinea pig. They are smart creatures and enjoy having a lot of things to do.  They also need hiding spots, as they are a prey animal, and need a place to go when they feel threatened or scared.
  • Provide a wide variety of foods to your guinea pigs, including vegetables, fruits, high quality timothy and alfalfa hay, grass (take them outside to graze), and treats such as pea flakes (feed sparingly!).
  • DO YOUR RESEARCH! As with all pets, do your research before getting one.

Okay, so besides guinea pigs, we have a Maine Coon cat who lives strictly outdoors. His name is David. Here's his story:

So he was a year or two old when we saw him, then a stray, snooping around our area, so we gave him a piece of meat to eat. After this, he started coming back more, and we fed him meat and water. Once he finally let us pet him (took a month or so), we realized that he didn't have any claws. Apparently, his original owners had declawed him, and then left him on the streets to fend for himself (this is very cruel I am glad we took him in). Astonishingly, he is still a superb hunter, able to catch, kill, and eat birds, mice, voles, bunnies, and snakes without any claws. It was probably his first winter outside alone in the cold, so we decided to let him sleep in our garage over the nights. Eventually, he got used to staying in our garage and we let him stay, providing a bed, food, water, and a litter box. He is not allowed inside the house because 1) we had guinea pigs at the time and David likes to kill and eat rodents, and 2) my sisters are allergic to cat hair (I am too sometimes). Now he is still with us, and he and I have grown very close. He is very nice and loves attention.

IMG_4100.PNG.8593c6102941dd1619180a99f59e911d.PNG

I don't have a good picture of David at the moment, but here he is. He looks a lot bigger and fatter in person though.

So there are my other pets besides aquariums. Enjoy!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2021 at 2:08 PM, Trish said:

And now for something different... many years ago.  Sabastian was the best "cat" I've ever had and lived to be 7 yrs old. 

Sabastian.jpeg

1433434717822-10985891_1376499996003000_2449863455198745138_n.jpg

sabastian3 2.jpeg

The exotic animal vet that I used years ago for my snakes was well known across the country for his work with pet skunks. He did a bunch of research and studies on diet in captivity and had quite a few articles published regarding their care. Every time I went in there, someone was there with a skunk it seemed like.

18 minutes ago, Andy's Fish Den said:

The exotic animal vet that I used years ago for my snakes was well known across the country for his work with pet skunks. He did a bunch of research and studies on diet in captivity and had quite a few articles published regarding their care. Every time I went in there, someone was there with a skunk it seemed like.

@Andy's Fish DenDo you have any links on that research I would be very interested.  I would agree, Sebastian would have lived beyond his 7 yrs but for he had cardiac disease from the high fat diet he got.   I did have a vet visit early in his life due to his having some fur loss.  Turned out it was caused by the avocado that I added to his meals as a treat.  It was causing toxicity. Thanks for sharing.

https://www.aspca.org/news/scoop-avocado-and-your-pets

54 minutes ago, Trish said:

@Andy's Fish DenDo you have any links on that research I would be very interested.  I would agree, Sebastian would have lived beyond his 7 yrs but for he had cardiac disease from the high fat diet he got.   I did have a vet visit early in his life due to his having some fur loss.  Turned out it was caused by the avocado that I added to his meals as a treat.  It was causing toxicity. Thanks for sharing.

https://www.aspca.org/news/scoop-avocado-and-your-pets

No I don't have any links. It has been at least 10 years since I kept snakes and visited that vet. I did just check and he still is practicing. His name is Dr. Frank Krupka, practices in Avon Lake, Ohio

9 minutes ago, Andy's Fish Den said:

No I don't have any links. It has been at least 10 years since I kept snakes and visited that vet. I did just check and he still is practicing. His name is Dr. Frank Krupka, practices in Avon Lake, Ohio

On searching there is a very detailed page on veterinary procedures that also led to another link on care and ownership.  Much appreciation @Andy's Fish Den

https://skunkhaven.net/VetCare.htm

Edited by Trish
  • Like 1