What did you get done today?

Cory

I realized that Dad Fish *did* still have something in his mouth after all. This time I was able to net him quickly. I held him just under the water in the net and used some tweezers to pull a thin piece of hair algae out of his mouth. I feel so proud that I was able to help a fish! They’re not easy to help.

I also wrestled with the power head in my 55 gallon to adjust the flow, and I cobbled together a new filter filler out of some coarse sponge and pieces of the old filler. Then I felt very sad about throwing away the rest of the old filler with all that beneficial bacteria.

Yesterday, I had a huge list of chores I needed to get done. I didn't do any of them. I was too busy watching these adorable goobers explore their new home! I literally spent hours trying to get all 3 in frame, and watching them figure out the tank. 

PXL_20201123_011811113.jpg.ec7cdf38398ea4c6c4813ac995398ef7.jpg

PXL_20201123_010226649.jpg.7bcd2c4e6755023a88e026a9f5f4ea08.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

So we all know plecos like zucchini and cucumbers and green beans, did you know they liked daikon radish too?

20201123_123852.jpg.2ae575b14760d2322ec4a420ffa52e9f.jpg

She's not sharing. She already kicked the corydoras off the slice and is using even bit of fin she has to try and cover the piece and claim it as hers.

She'll get full eventually and then let the other fish have their turn. The slice is big enough she can't  eat it all. I hope. I figured I'd just try it because I had some extra daikon leftover from my own cooking. Didn't  think she'd like it more than the cucumber.

• Like 3

Went to Pet Supplies Plus to look around and continue thinking what I would want to put in the office tank.  Found a sign for 50% off this week on fish, and saw a crowntail betta male who caught my eye.  He will be my $3 centerpiece, and after a while my plan will be to get him some rummynose type friends.

• Like 3

Finally broke out the easy planters from my last order and put one right in the middle of my mutt Guppy/mixed Platy tank. I plan to add one of these with every order until I have at least 1 in every tank. I absolutely love them 😍20201123_113807.jpg.23f80c6a2e7b4dbf079b40ea55ddb6c5.jpg

Also brought out my Aquarium Co-OP BBS eggs over the weekend, and these guys approve. 

20201123-222017.jpg.b9b8c8a36685bd2e1f9479b179fb08b2.jpg20201123_213137.jpg.9f97299d8b0f5ebda05d4afc337b5e51.jpg

• Like 2

I cleaned the glass on the experimental plant safe zone in my Tinfoil Barb Tank.  The Hornwort in the picture was decimated by a peroxide treatment, but well on its way to recovery.   A two  hours later the largest of the barbs was acting like a a fish on a hook.  Some how he had managed to navigate the one inch of clearance between the water surface and the top of the cylinder, and eat most of the plants.  Now the 6" fish was trapped in a 6" cylinder.  So I guess I also provided a salad bar and rescued a fish.

GREEN.jpg

• Haha 1

I got word the wood base for my 20L has shipped and I should be able to pick it up tomorrow! Got all my water changes done and another batch of baby brine shrimp started. I have a wish list on Coop and need to place that order today (except for the plants). I also decided I need more gravel for the 20L and am going to order that. Still looking for a glass top. Its also time to straighten my supplies again! And more house organizing to make room for gallons of water. 

Well I did not do this today, but I did do this the other day. I purchased a RO kit, nothing fancy or expensive. I then put it inside a cooler I had laying around. It super handy because it has wheels, making semi-portable to I put it back in the garage when I am done. I still refining the setup, but as of now I am getting decent RO water. IMG_5362.jpg.433b9d67936a247c0c9a414fe75ff624.jpg

• Like 3