What's your dream aquarium product that doesn’t exist?

pedrofisk

6 minutes ago, Bill Smith said:

You'll probably want to check out the Leviton app as well before making a purchase; not all of them support the "Timer" feature.

I'd definitely double-check that network. While 5GHz networks do indeed run faster speeds, there is a serious range compromise, hence the dual-band preference for most.

Sounds like good advice.  Research then purchase.  Lots of technicalities with these products today.  Technology is supposed to make it easier ?  🤔. 😊@Pat.Shaw

Edited by DaveSamsell
Update
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I thought of something, a cylindrical brine shrimp hatchery with an automatic sweeper on top. It would sweep the walls of the chamber at the water line preventing the eggs from floating and sticking to the walls. The technology exists for cleaning the necks of saltwater protein skimmers, just needs adapted 🤔

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MickS77 said:

if you want to just buy something you could use peristaltic dosing pump.

I might use a dosing pump but I also want it to be a good container for growing the green water and if I use Chlorella it will need to be circulated. I am actually thinking of using a brine shrimp setup, maybe even the traditional soda bottle base from SF Bay since I already have a couple of old ones. Then I can either using a dosing pump (I also have an old non-smart one) which is probably the best option now that you mention it. Or I might Mcgyver parts from an IV system for a slow continuous drip. Then I will put a micro bulkhead in the Daphnia container, either from an RO system or Jemcho, for an overflow of sorts. The Daphnia will be in a cheap plastic container.

I've hasd pretty good luck growing green water with a few grass cuttings and adding Easy Green. The trick is not using up too much of it at once or it takes too long to grow back. Another reason I am thinking about Chlorella. That and just to be a mad scientist. I'm working on the laugh.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2020 at 2:30 PM, Ksant6 said:

Mine is a root tab inserter thingy.  Like giant syringe for root tabs because my tank is deep and my arms cannot reach the substrate without me getting soaked.  After searching feverishly for such a thing I actually saw it on one of Rachel  O'Leary's videos. She said it is not available in the U.S. 

So it exists and i am waiting for Aquarium Co-op  to bring it to us.

Good Idea. 

I use my planting tweezers for root tabs but I still end up getting my arm in the tank. Some time's my larger Dojo Loaches will follow the tablet and tear it to shreds digging for it. Crazy fish. 

On 7/24/2020 at 2:30 PM, Ksant6 said:

Mine is a root tab inserter thingy.  Like giant syringe for root tabs because my tank is deep and my arms cannot reach the substrate without me getting soaked.  After searching feverishly for such a thing I actually saw it on one of Rachel  O'Leary's videos. She said it is not available in the U.S. 

So it exists and i am waiting for Aquarium Co-op  to bring it to us.

Good Idea. 

I use my planting tweezers for root tabs but I still end up getting my arm in the tank. Some time's my larger Dojo Loaches will follow the tablet and tear it to shreds digging for it. Crazy fish. 

14 minutes ago, Solidus1833 said:

For @Ksant6 and @Solidus1833:

Not to toot my own horn, but I managed to put together a fairly functional DIY version last weekend. Hope you like!

Edited by Bill Smith
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/21/2020 at 3:33 PM, Bill Smith said:

You mean like this? 😉

spacer.png

Not single plug-in, but effective!

That's a good idea for an Aquaclear, those little heater are pretty good, I've got 3 of them going now, but. . . just the other day one of them zzzzzzzzapppped me 😵

Still a good idea, I like getting the heater out of the tank.

7 hours ago, Dean’s Fishroom said:

That's a good idea for an Aquaclear, those little heater are pretty good, I've got 3 of them going now, but. . . just the other day one of them zzzzzzzzapppped me 😵

Still a good idea, I like getting the heater out of the tank.

Two downsides:

1. To fit it in an AquaClear 50, I had to dremel off some excess plastic.

2. I have to unplug the heater BEFORE I unplug the filter, or the level drops below the heater and it starts to sizzle.

But for me, the upsides of moving the heater out of the tank, adjusting it more easily, and dropping warmed water right into circulation outweigh it. I would totally do it again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've seen a few craft beer towns do a passport kind of thing where you can get a booklet and get it stamped at each of the different breweries. 

Filling the passport would get you a cheap T-shirt or Beer glass.

Something similar, where cheap stickers for filling the book are included when buying from different Hobbyists and Fishtubers, would be cool.

• Like 1

My dream product is a water testing kit that doesnt make me try to distinguish between color shades... i have come to the realization that im awful at distinguishing shades of a color so i more or less watch my fish like hawks to see if they are acting normal ,or i ask my wife to read it for me.

• Like 4

On 8/18/2020 at 3:01 PM, Marnol D said:

My dream product is a water testing kit that doesnt make me try to distinguish between color shades... i have come to the realization that im awful at distinguishing shades of a color so i more or less watch my fish like hawks to see if they are acting normal ,or i ask my wife to read it for me.

I am a professional designer so have trained myself to distinguish even the slightest variation in shade/color but what it has really taught me is everyone truly sees color differently. I can even tell the difference between how my two eyes see color. So it is not surprising some people have difficulty with these chemistry charts. Asking for a second opinion is a smart move.

I have found the line between green and blue is especially open to interpretation. I once had a blue-green truck and more than once I actually found people standing in front of it in a parking lot arguing if it was blue or green.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

mine already kind if exists but i want a more affordable apex system for freshwater but with ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, gh, and kh testing built in. i just want to have quick access to all my parameters all in one app with no more test tubes. you can monitor all of the levels in the tank quickly and you get alerts when ammonia goes up or if nitrates go above a certain preset level. you can plug an autodoser in to dose ferts that intelligently monitors the macro and micro levels that you can adjust manually to dose how much you want. maybe in 10 years haha. or check japan, i feel like they may have something being built. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

My dad had the best idea I have ever heard of!

Its a Motorized algae scraper. 
think of a Mag-Float algae scraper but the piece that’s goes on the inside of the tank (the scraper part) is a round very thin algae scraper pad with a some strong magnets. The piece on the outside would have a motor and some more strong magnets. You would turn it on and the magnets would rotate causing the inside scraper pad to spin, and clean all the algae on the glass.

The thin and round scraper pad would cause minimal water disturbance, and since it’s motorized it could scrub off even really hard green spot algae!

i feel this would be a awesome and a very easy way to clean your glass.

• Like 1