Jump to content

What's your dream aquarium product that doesn’t exist?


Recommended Posts

For fun, because I am genuinely curious and maybe to inspire @Cory, what's your dream aquarium product that doesn’t exist?

One that just occurred to me is a quick test strip for Ammonia.

The one thing I do worry most about is an Ammonia spike due to an irregularity (dead fish etc) that I might not notice right away. My issue is my aquariums have to be negligent resistant because I have three young kids and pre-virus traveled for work a lot. So regular water changes can be spotty. I've tried those in tank circle ones but they always expire before doing anything (which is good I guess) and I am never going back to test tube drop testing. I burnt out on that years ago.

Let's hear about your non-existent dream product!

 

(desktop aquarium added for post thumbnail)

 

2020-05-01 16.34.59.jpg

Edited by pedrofisk
photo added for post thumbnail!
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wish there was an underwater remote controlled submarine 4k camera that would swim in my aquarium and stream the results back to my phone. I could watch fish breed and check on fry from anywhere. An

Mine exists but not for freshwater. Automatic water tester like the Neptune Trident. Automatic daily testing of nitrate, ammonia, nitrite, ph, Gh, kh with text alerts for high readings. 

My dream is anti-reflective glass aquarium. 

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, pedrofisk said:

One that just occurred to me is a quick test strip for Ammonia.

Tetra makes those! I use them all the time! Dip for 10 seconds, read immediately!

https://www.amazon.com/Tetra-EasyStrips-Ammonia-Aquarium-25-Count/dp/B0053PQZ9C

Okay, this is gonna be a GREAT thread. I sense more such "actually that does exist" answers will be coming.

Edited by Bill Smith
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Bill Smith said:

Tetra makes those! I use them all the time! Dip for 10 seconds, read immediately!

https://www.amazon.com/Tetra-EasyStrips-Ammonia-Aquarium-25-Count/dp/B0053PQZ9C

Okay, this is gonna be a GREAT thread. I sense more such "actually that does exist" answers will be coming.

Yes, I use those and they are great but they don't have Ammonia on them. In fact using one on my cherry shrimp aquarium was my inspiration for this thread.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Bill Smith said:

Okay, this is gonna be a GREAT thread. I sense more such "actually that does exist" answers will be coming.

@Bill Smith, if anyone could make my 4k streaming camera submarine, I expected it would be you. Let me know when you are ready, and I will help you test out the prototype.

Edited by Daniel
Making sure Bill Smith knew which Bill I was talking about
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, pedrofisk said:

Yes, I use those and they are great but they don't have Ammonia on them. In fact using one on my cherry shrimp aquarium was my inspiration for this thread.

https://www.petsmart.com/fish/food-and-care/water-quality-testers/tetra-6-n-1-aquarium-water-test-stips-17476.html

They come in a separate bottle on their own strips.

 

I would like a net that is invisible to fish eyes.

Edited by TheDukeAnumber1
  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine exists but not for freshwater. Automatic water tester like the Neptune Trident. Automatic daily testing of nitrate, ammonia, nitrite, ph, Gh, kh with text alerts for high readings. 

  • Like 14
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MickS77 said:

Mine exists but not for freshwater. Automatic water tester like the Neptune Trident. Automatic daily testing of nitrate, ammonia, nitrite, ph, Gh, kh with text alerts for high readings. 

Oooh! I want that too!. Don't think it would make my tanks any better, but oh the possibilities of playing with a new toy like that! We could probably hack it to make it work in freshwater. There is a guy named Harry who shows how to make the Neptune stuff do anything you want it to do. The Neptune stuff is infinitely hackable.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, pedrofisk said:

Yes, I use those and they are great but they don't have Ammonia on them. In fact using one on my cherry shrimp aquarium was my inspiration for this thread.

You are referring to the 6-in-1 strips. Tetra makes them BOTH. Ammonia is not on the 6-in-1 strips because of a chemical incompatibility. The ammonia strips are sold separately. You dip longer, read faster than the 6-in-1 strips.

See for yourself!
https://www.amazon.com/Tetra-EasyStrips-Ammonia-Aquarium-25-Count/dp/B0053PQZ9C

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I dream of a distributed, invisible, water change system. One that I can turn a valve and change the water in a given tank, while I am doing something else.

Of course, could be done in a rack system, but not throughout my apartment...I have considered options but all of them involve snaking plumbing through walls, and somehow housing an aged water tank, in a closet? 

Ah, the pitfalls of renting.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I want a heater / HOB filter combo. It makes sense to me. Both are items you size to the tank volume, so why not combine them? It'd be sweet to come up with an aftermarket impeller / heater insert that would work in an Aquaclear so you only have one plug to plug in. 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Dream aquarium product: a little container you program to catch certain fish (like, platties, guppies, etc), and then you just set it in your tank and AMAZINGLY all the fish of that type just go swim inside, making removal fast and easy. But until that's invented I guess I'll have to begrudgingly tear my aquariums apart and chase fish with a net in each hand. X3 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Pete said:

I want a heater / HOB filter combo. It makes sense to me. Both are items you size to the tank volume, so why not combine them? It'd be sweet to come up with an aftermarket impeller / heater insert that would work in an Aquaclear so you only have one plug to plug in. 

You mean like this? 😉

spacer.png

Not single plug-in, but effective!

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, H.K.Luterman said:

Dream aquarium product: a little container you program to catch certain fish (like, platties, guppies, etc), and then you just set it in your tank and AMAZINGLY all the fish of that type just go swim inside, making removal fast and easy. But until that's invented I guess I'll have to begrudgingly tear my aquariums apart and chase fish with a net in each hand. X3 

I once put Endler's in my big tank and they bred like guppies! I regretted it but there was no way to get them out again short of draining all 500 gallons. I got one of these minnow traps

MinnowTrap.PNG.18897732759c59070cc51ebdfe87c444.PNG

and within a few days I had captured the last female, which put an end to the endless Endler's population explosion.

Edited by Daniel
grammar
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think flake food (maybe). They were pretty curious and tended to wander in. My memory was they would be in the trap in the mornings. I wish I had those Endlers back now. Sometimes when something is working well you don't appreciate what you've got. The other way to catch the Endler females was to net them at night when they were sleeping, but that wasn't effective enough to eradicate them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Daniel said:

I once put Endler's in my big tank and they bred like guppies! I regretted it but there was no way to get them out again short of draining all 500 gallons. I got one of these minnow traps

MinnowTrap.PNG.18897732759c59070cc51ebdfe87c444.PNG

and within a few days I had captured the last female, which put an end to the endless Endler's population explosion.

I thought about getting something like that! I tried making a little home made trap out of a plastic water bottle, but I kept catching my betta over and over and not the fish I wanted. X3 NEXT TIME I guess I'll set up the quarantine tank and let my betta chill in there while I try to catch out fish!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, pedrofisk said:

For fun, because I am genuinely curious and maybe to inspire @Cory, what's your dream aquarium product that doesn’t exist?

 

 

One that just occurred to me is a quick test strip for Ammonia.

The one thing I do worry most about is an Ammonia spike due to an irregularity (dead fish etc) that I might not notice right away. My issue is my aquariums have to be negligent resistant because I have three young kids and pre-virus traveled for work a lot. So regular water changes can be spotty. I've tried those in tank circle ones but they always expire before doing anything (which is good I guess) and I am never going back to test tube drop testing. I burnt out on that years ago.

Let's hear about your non-existent dream product!

 

 

 

How about an automatic, ultrasonic biofilm/algae scraper.  With fully adjustable parameters not to damage silicone seals, remove programmed levels of layers of build-up & an alert when completed.  Well, at least I can dream..  🤔😏

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, pedrofisk said:

For fun, because I am genuinely curious and maybe to inspire @Cory, what's your dream aquarium product that doesn’t exist?

 

 

One that just occurred to me is a quick test strip for Ammonia.

The one thing I do worry most about is an Ammonia spike due to an irregularity (dead fish etc) that I might not notice right away. My issue is my aquariums have to be negligent resistant because I have three young kids and pre-virus traveled for work a lot. So regular water changes can be spotty. I've tried those in tank circle ones but they always expire before doing anything (which is good I guess) and I am never going back to test tube drop testing. I burnt out on that years ago.

Let's hear about your non-existent dream product!

 

 

 

I'd love some sort of substance that acted like activated charcoal, but was able to absorb nitrates, so that you either wouldn't need to do water changes or would have to do them a lot less frequently. I sometimes travel for work, and my roommate feeds the fish, but he can't do water changes, which is sometimes a problem. I do use seachem purigem, but i'm not sure how effective it is at decreasing the need for water changes

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Pete said:

I want a heater / HOB filter combo

Kinda surprised Oase hasn't done this one yet, they've done canisters and internals with them

Maybe they'll get to it

Link to post
Share on other sites

Since my first dream product turned out to already exist (thanks everyone!) here is another:

An auto-dosing pump for planted aquariums that first measures for various fertilizer concentrations in the aquarium and then auto-doses the correct missing ferts. So I would probably just set up with Easy Green and Iron but for someone doing Estimative Index (EI) Fertilization Method it could be more options. Maybe throw in an auto-water change if the concentrations get too high for EI as long as I am fantasizing.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

An AI algorithm monitoring my tank via a video camera, classifing all species (animal and plants) and monitor them in time for changes. The AI will warn me of changes in color, pattern, size, behavior so I can early detect problems. It does not need to be very complicated, similar to what we have today on phones for face unlock combine with Google Lens. This could be an app on your phone but better if in a dedicated device attached to the tank or inside Daniel's submarine (which I like that too!). 

Edited by Diego
  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators

I want IV drip bags filled with live baby brine or green water, daphnia, or rotibers that you hang and control the drips into aquariums to feed over time.

id also love it if there was fairy shrimp eggs have vested in mass so it was freshwater brine shrimp essentially.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cory said:

I want IV drip bags filled with live baby brine or green water, daphnia, or rotibers that you hang and control the drips into aquariums to feed over time.

id also love it if there was fairy shrimp eggs have vested in mass so it was freshwater brine shrimp essentially.

Like this?

IVDrip.png.20ebdeb85e1eaec0d57b08f467909887.png

I catch native fairy shrimp from time to time, but never get more than a few when I have tried to raise them. They are huge and so pretty.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would enjoy having 2 layer sponge filters. Finer sponge on the inside of a coarse sponge.  I've thought about how to make it before but tried a box filter first to clean up my water better than single density sponges could do. I didn't want to add anything to the tank not run by air.  So far the box filter worked well enough with the coop square sponge media, I bought 2 more. But I do wish it was as easy to just drop in the tank and forget as weighted sponges are. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, LC Roszell said:

I would enjoy having 2 layer sponge filters. Finer sponge on the inside of a coarse sponge.  I've thought about how to make it before but tried a box filter first to clean up my water better than single density sponges could do. I didn't want to add anything to the tank not run by air.  So far the box filter worked well enough with the coop square sponge media, I bought 2 more. But I do wish it was as easy to just drop in the tank and forget as weighted sponges are. 

Might be easier just running two separate sponge filters in the aquarium.  One coarse, one fine.  You can always get inventive on your own, with a personalized design too; by fusing various sponge material together onto one sponge filter housing.  Lots of possibilities.  😊

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This one isn't much of a fantasy, because I know they have to exist somewhere for saltwater if not freshwater, but just a relatively cost effective (obviously couldn't be cheap, but hopefully not insane) digital meter for all the stuff we'd normally test and more. What I'd love is just a handful of little meters that I clip to the side of my tank when testing or prop up inside a cup of the tank's water, and after a minute or two, it tells me all my concentrations accurate down to the decimal. I have found that a lot of the liquid test kits can give very different results each time since there's an infinite amount of variables that can be hard to prevent. Specifically the API nitrate test I have found to be inaccurate sometimes. What I would love to get first would be Nitrate, Ammonia, Phosphate, and then probably Oxygen, GH+KH, and CO2 would all be a dream come true!

Edited by TheDojoMojo
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine is a root tab inserter thingy.  Like giant syringe for root tabs because my tank is deep and my arms cannot reach the substrate without me getting soaked.  After searching feverishly for such a thing I actually saw it on one of Rachel  O'Leary's videos. She said it is not available in the U.S. 

 

So it exists and i am waiting for Aquarium Co-op  to bring it to us.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Ksant6 said:

Mine is a root tab inserter thingy.  Like giant syringe for root tabs because my tank is deep and my arms cannot reach the substrate without me getting soaked.  After searching feverishly for such a thing I actually saw it on one of Rachel  O'Leary's videos. She said it is not available in the U.S. 

 

So it exists and i am waiting for Aquarium Co-op  to bring it to us.

What immediately came to my mind was the Ronco Solid Flavor Injector, I bet that would work! 😆

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ksant6 said:

Mine is a root tab inserter thingy.  Like giant syringe for root tabs because my tank is deep and my arms cannot reach the substrate without me getting soaked. 

I have something like that. This was designed to put fertilizer tabs in the substrate. I like the name 'Bottom Release'. ☺️

648210611_BottomRelease.jpg.a9cfcc9ccb71278864e983d170bf0c27.jpg

You push the plunger and it pushed the pellet out the bottom.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I have something like that. This was designed to put fertilizer tabs in the substrate. I like the name 'Bottom Release'. ☺️

648210611_BottomRelease.jpg.a9cfcc9ccb71278864e983d170bf0c27.jpg

You push the plunger and it pushed the pellet out the bottom.

I wish ADA products were more readily available in the US 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2020 at 3:54 PM, Pete said:

I want a heater / HOB filter combo. It makes sense to me. Both are items you size to the tank volume, so why not combine them? It'd be sweet to come up with an aftermarket impeller / heater insert that would work in an Aquaclear so you only have one plug to plug in. 

That’s a great idea 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

An expandable tank! You could start small and just upgrade over time by buying another section of tank, sliding a new section on to one side, remove a divider and viola bigger tank! Also you could divide the sections and create smaller tanks if you liked. 

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Daniel said:

I have something like that. This was designed to put fertilizer tabs in the substrate. I like the name 'Bottom Release'. ☺️

648210611_BottomRelease.jpg.a9cfcc9ccb71278864e983d170bf0c27.jpg

You push the plunger and it pushed the pellet out the bottom.

That is it!!! I need this!  How do I tag Corey ...please bring this to the U.S.!!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I want a cory clone/app thing so when I have dumb question I can ask. Even if it just gives me a good source to go look up and do research. I have a lot of dumb questions, being a very literal person does not help my case. 😂

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I dream of having a big tank that is hooked to an aquaponics system, and runs the sump thru plants AND a fish food culture at the same time. This will not be happening in my current apartment. 🤣

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DaveSamsell said:

I would like to see a test strip to accurately diagnose the top 5, most common, aquarium fish diseases.  

Forget these for fish, I want this for humans! Dave, let's you and I make these, get FDA approval, become Billionaires, buy Fluval and Universal Rocks, and put @Cory in charge of both companies!

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators
On 7/22/2020 at 9:27 AM, Daniel said:

Like this?

IVDrip.png.20ebdeb85e1eaec0d57b08f467909887.png

I catch native fairy shrimp from time to time, but never get more than a few when I have tried to raise them. They are huge and so pretty.

Yes, where can I find that aqua dose thing? @Daniel

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cory said:

Yes, where can I find that aqua dose thing? @Daniel

This is the Kent Marine AquaDose system, not quite what you want, but I am still looking.

AquaDose is a UK company that make heavy duty aquaculture control system like this.

That picture above is from Mike Hellweg's book on culturing live foods. His DIY version to the left of the AquaDose is just an hospital IV bag.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators

Thanks, ordered the reusable IV bag. I had always meant to find one like that, but it never made it to the top of my list. I can't wait to experiment with it. Drip feeding daphnia ponds, drip feeding live baby brine into a tank possibly, can't wait! This will be the most fun I've had with $15 ina long time!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Cory said:

Thanks, ordered the reusable IV bag. I had always meant to find one like that, but it never made it to the top of my list. I can't wait to experiment with it. Drip feeding daphnia ponds, drip feeding live baby brine into a tank possibly, can't wait! This will be the most fun I've had with $15 ina long time!

 

I think the challenge is going to be keeping the IV bag oxygenated but if anyone can figure it out it'll be you @Cory

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2020 at 6:20 PM, Daniel said:

Forget these for fish, I want this for humans! Dave, let's you and I make these, get FDA approval, become Billionaires, buy Fluval and Universal Rocks, and put @Cory

@Cory. @Cory

Edited by DaveSamsell
Internet double posting.
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...