What's your dream aquarium product that doesn’t exist?

pedrofisk

On 10/2/2020 at 2:40 PM, Ben_RF said:

I have spent a week trying to find a pre-made basket/tray/container that I would be able to hook over the side of one of my aquariums grow plants in the water. I am sure it exist, I just have not had luck finding it.  I am starting to think at this point, I may need to DIY it.  

I saw someone using a suction cup shower basket - intended for holding soap and what have you in a shower - to quiet the flow of a HOB filter. But I was thinking you could find one with the proper holes or add holes to it for  holding stem plants, cuttings or even pothos roots. Next times I go to Menards I'm going to see that section in a whole new light! lol! Just have to watch for metal.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 2:47 PM, Streetwise said:

I am assuming that the VorTech is an induction motor, creating a rotating magnetic field that would normally drive the propeller on the other side of the glass. My expensive and impractical idea would be to put a magnetic scraper on the inside of the tank to be spun by that rotational magnetic field. I have no idea if it would have enough torque, but if I already had one, I would try it just for fun. Maybe an engineer can comment more.

Again, this was just a brainstorm idea I had and it would be a ridiculous way to use a $300-400 powerhead.

Priscilla MK actually tried this with a big algae scraper and it didn’t work. Maybe it would work with a nano unit. I’m just happy that I wasn’t the only one to have this crazy idea!

On 7/21/2020 at 4:37 PM, MickS77 said:

Mine exists but not for freshwater. Automatic water tester like the Neptune Trident. Automatic daily testing of nitrate, ammonia, nitrite, ph, Gh, kh with text alerts for high readings. 

This is a great idea. Why don't you think they've made one for freshwater? 

On 7/21/2020 at 10:28 PM, pedrofisk said:

For fun, because I am genuinely curious and maybe to inspire @Cory, what's your dream aquarium product that doesn’t exist?

One that just occurred to me is a quick test strip for Ammonia.

There actually exists a tester for ammonia that works fast.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000255R5G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On 7/21/2020 at 10:28 PM, pedrofisk said:

For fun, because I am genuinely curious and maybe to inspire @Cory, what's your dream aquarium product that doesn’t exist?

It would be great if someone could invent a digital sensor that monitors water parameters. Sort of like how a digital thermometer constantly monitors your water temperature. Honestly, I think it can be done.

It would be nice to be able to walk up to your tank and see all parameters like the monitors in a hospital constantly shows your vitals.  

• Like 1

Really cheap, mega strong aquarium stands or racks with adjustable shelving. They would be perfectly level every time and can take any combination of tanks. They would fold flat for shipping and pop up when you press a button. They would also look good. Made of some futuristic metal or some other substance that hasn't been invented yet maybe... 😃

• Like 1

On 9/21/2020 at 1:00 AM, Seized said:

Sponge filter with a media tray or a cheap gravel vac with a canister filter to pump the clean water back into the tank after you gravel vac

See this is what I was going to say but i knew it had to be posted prior. I did try to make one it work but not as powerful as id like it to be but I'm working on it. I got the idea from Cory from MAB, he set the bar on the project I'm just trying to raise it a bit he has it in a two part DIY which really made me dive into the hobby deeper i love doing DIY projects and trying to figure out ways to do things

part 1- 

part 2-

On 8/1/2020 at 5:20 PM, Pat.Shaw said:

I have thought of that. Don't think it would work for me. I don't think I could get it down to the minute every time. 😞

What about a smart plug, if you feed at the same time you could program it to turn off/on   Or a motion sensor plug? I know they make lightbulb plugs that have a plug in the side that are motion activated but motion wouldn’t work because you’re walking up to your tank often... smart plug

I would like a device that scanned every day for fish disease in the water and the fish and if they detected one it emailed you and cured it if I couldn't it told you the cure and the price at various stores near you

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Caidenh24 said:

I wish I could have a device that every week it is like a underwater roomba and it siphons the rocks and cleans my tank and you can connect the tube to the bucket so when it is time to clean the tank it goes right into the bucket.

That would be effective and look cool. I bet that if you have a big enough tank and have large fish like oscars or something you could modify a real roomba to be waterproof and use that

• Like 1

On 7/25/2020 at 7:44 PM, BQuick said:

I want a roomba type glass cleaning robot.  Something small that romes the glass with an algea scraper.  

Just get a snail because it does not add to your electricity bill and it looks cool or you could get a dwarf or full size pleco

• Like 1

On 10/1/2020 at 2:54 PM, braids said:

Red nets are supposed to be less visible.

I have a woven net made from natural materials that I'm going to try.  See if that's less threatening some how.  Being relaxed at the moment seems to matter most when I'm catching fish.

I have never understood this theory just based on the food. Look at how the red krill flake or hikari vibra bites makes every fish go nuts. I feel that's been a misconception if the all those foods come in red then you would think they would be a much slower response time.