What's your dream aquarium product that doesn’t exist?

pedrofisk

12 hours ago, Nutnwrench said:

I have never understood this theory just based on the food. Look at how the red krill flake or hikari vibra bites makes every fish go nuts. I feel that's been a misconception if the all those foods come in red then you would think they would be a much slower response time. 

That's an interesting thought. Maybe its the type of red? Or maybe its a bunch of malarkey.

• Haha 1

The theory is that fish that live and feed near the surface have cones in their eyes that can and do detect red, but fish that live several meters or more below the surface where red light is attenuated or non-existent cannot perceive red light.

If this is true some fish could see red-light and other could not, but it has not been thoroughly tested.

Or maybe its a bunch of malarkey. 🙂

On 10/2/2020 at 2:40 PM, Ben_RF said:

I have spent a week trying to find a pre-made basket/tray/container that I would be able to hook over the side of one of my aquariums grow plants in the water. I am sure it exist, I just have not had luck finding it.  I am starting to think at this point, I may need to DIY it.  

this should help

On 9/21/2020 at 6:14 AM, Fonske said:

Maybe something like this? Powered gravel vac with integrated mini-filter. 

420331197_gravelvacwithfilterspec.png.819ff559afd6c539b4a0fdbb82abbc72.png344550298_gravelvacwithfilter.png.ba3b979d1aa01f210252e92ab45c20eb.png

I tested one that is already produced by a prominent mfg and the outcome is not great nor is the user experience to get there.

On 11/2/2020 at 3:41 PM, Nutnwrench said:

Some kind of tiered tray system or bins for plants so I can run a bare bottom tank but still have plants. 

Salt water coral guys use that lighting plastic egg crate you see in florescent fixtures to do something similar.

On 7/21/2020 at 4:54 PM, Pete said:

I want a heater / HOB filter combo. It makes sense to me. Both are items you size to the tank volume, so why not combine them? It'd be sweet to come up with an aftermarket impeller / heater insert that would work in an Aquaclear so you only have one plug to plug in. 

I believe marineland or fluval(tidal?) make one that has a space for a heater in it, though not as an all in one. 

On 11/2/2020 at 6:54 PM, Larrimore said:

Man, never thought of that.  That must be a pain.

They have an app for that, think it just came out this year. It's supposed to analyze the colors of your tubes for you and give you a number read out.

I had actually planned to check it out, myself, next week, during water checks. Thanks for reminding me. 

Check your app store for Tetra My Aquarium Ap

• Thanks 1

On 10/11/2020 at 2:26 AM, braids said:

I saw someone using a suction cup shower basket - intended for holding soap and what have you in a shower - to quiet the flow of a HOB filter. But I was thinking you could find one with the proper holes or add holes to it for  holding stem plants, cuttings or even pothos roots. Next times I go to Menards I'm going to see that section in a whole new light! lol! Just have to watch for metal.

I use the generic net and frame breeder boxes to grow plants in my Oscar tank, so they won't be eaten, but still help control nitrates. 🙂

My dream aquarium product is a heater or heater controller where I can simulate day and night. Just like lights that can create a sun rise and sun set why not have a heater or heater controller that will do that? So that mid day the tank will be at it's warmest and at night it's at it's coldest but still stays within a preset range. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MeggersNCat said:

My dream aquarium product is a heater or heater controller where I can simulate day and night. Just like lights that can create a sun rise and sun set why not have a heater or heater controller that will do that? So that mid day the tank will be at it's warmest and at night it's at it's coldest but still stays within a preset range. 

That exists. I am doing this with a combination of an 'undersized' 50 watt heater in a 40 gallon breeder and the house temperature set to 69 °F. The result follow nature almost precisely. I believe this can be replicated in a tank of any size. I could also create this curve almost exactly with my Apex controller, but that would be cheating. 🙂

Here is a graph of 3 different aquariums over the last few days, all simulating day/night temperatures and staying within a desired range:

image.png.1c3f5a842f00d19892d1cb3152eb927d.png

• Like 1

On 9/21/2020 at 9:14 AM, Fonske said:

Maybe something like this? Powered gravel vac with integrated mini-filter. 

420331197_gravelvacwithfilterspec.png.819ff559afd6c539b4a0fdbb82abbc72.png344550298_gravelvacwithfilter.png.ba3b979d1aa01f210252e92ab45c20eb.png

I’ve tried one of these! My water parameters are nice and stable, but I like to get food and poop out to keep my tank looking super good. It’s ~okay~. The biggest problem I have with it is that when siphoning I have to keep the product submerged between a minimum and maximum level or else it doesn’t work. I only have a few centimeters to do my work. It’s more annoying than I thought it would be to try to keep it exactly evenly submerged. 

On 7/25/2020 at 9:44 PM, BQuick said:

I want a roomba type glass cleaning robot.  Something small that romes the glass with an algea scraper.  

I can't give you a robot, but I have a single hillstream loach in my 20g and he is a MACHINE! 

• Like 1

On 10/2/2020 at 3:40 PM, Ben_RF said:

I have spent a week trying to find a pre-made basket/tray/container that I would be able to hook over the side of one of my aquariums grow plants in the water. I am sure it exist, I just have not had luck finding it.  I am starting to think at this point, I may need to DIY it.  

I use breeder boxes and leave a gap in the lid. 

949FDBBB-112F-4E98-8A69-AF89170D7B6F.jpeg

• Like 2