What's your dream aquarium product that doesn’t exist?

pedrofisk

On 7/21/2020 at 1:37 PM, MickS77 said:

Mine exists but not for freshwater. Automatic water tester like the Neptune Trident. Automatic daily testing of nitrate, ammonia, nitrite, ph, Gh, kh with text alerts for high readings. 

OM gosh, I would LOVE this! In fact, I've been doing water testing lately and wishing for this very thing. Even went looking to see if someone had one out, but alas.... Why do only saltwater folks get this sort of nifty gadget?

A mini “paint can shaker” style device to shake up the #2 nitrate bottle prior to use. It would just need to vibe and shake with some intensity

i have a 3 year old and a baby on the way... I would appreciate a stand or cabinet that has closable doors to cover and protect the glass. Although it would have to open up somehow so the sides of the aquarium are still visible, I don’t want to be limited to one viewing angle. This could protect it from flying toys or even just dirty kid fingers on my glass. A lock option would be cool to resist the temptation for kiddos to feed without supervision or otherwise put unwanted objects in the aquarium.  I allow My 3 year old to help with feedings and some maintenance but under close supervision only. Fortunately this little sweetheart knows not to mess with it and I’m comfortable but the bun in the oven is currently a wildcard 

Edited by PhillipHols
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PhillipHols said:

A mini “paint can shaker” style device to shake up the #2 nitrate bottle prior to use. It would just need to vibe and shake with some intensity

WWW.HEATHROWSCIENTIFIC.COM

Mini Vortex Mixer The Mini Vortexer by Heathrow Scientific offers immediate vortex shaking for a variety of tube sizes. A simple, touch start operation enables exceptional mixing performance using one hand.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I want something that lets me know when it's time to replenish the roots tabs for the plants I have that need them. I don't want to have to keep track of this. The plants shouldn't have to slowly die, to tell me. 

Edited by Jeff
  • Like 1

So Rachel O'Leary just featured a fish feeder in her "Testing the Intelligence of My Fish" that I didn't even realize was what I have been wanting.  In comparison to the suction type fish feeders, it appears that the frozen food is much more accessible to the fish so you shouldn't end up with as much waste for what they couldn't get access too.  It has a weight in it that makes it fairly easy to feed freeze dried food.  AND THE MOST IMPORTANTTHING, IT HAS A MAN SITTING AT THE TOP FISHING! OMG! TAKE MY MONEY!

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Ben_RF said:

So Rachel O'Leary just featured a fish feeder in her "Testing the Intelligence of My Fish" that I didn't even realize was what I have been wanting.  In comparison to the suction type fish feeders, it appears that the frozen food is much more accessible to the fish so you shouldn't end up with as much waste for what they couldn't get access too.  It has a weight in it that makes it fairly easy to feed freeze dried food.  AND THE MOST IMPORTANTTHING, IT HAS A MAN SITTING AT THE TOP FISHING! OMG! TAKE MY MONEY!

Nice.  It's a shame it's only made for rimless tanks.  That's the only reason I haven't already ordered one, and I'm still trying to figure out how to make it work with my tanks.

On 7/24/2020 at 3:30 PM, Ksant6 said:

Mine is a root tab inserter thingy.  Like giant syringe for root tabs because my tank is deep and my arms cannot reach the substrate without me getting soaked.  After searching feverishly for such a thing I actually saw it on one of Rachel  O'Leary's videos. She said it is not available in the U.S. 

So it exists and i am waiting for Aquarium Co-op  to bring it to us.

At the vet clinic I worked for we had pill popper sticks in 2 sizes for cats and dogs, never thought of this use for them, but they would be perfect for root tabs, thanks for the thought to get me started. I have the same problem with our 60 G tank!

58 minutes ago, JettsPapa said:

Nice.  It's a shame it's only made for rimless tanks.  That's the only reason I haven't already ordered one, and I'm still trying to figure out how to make it work with my tanks.

Hopefully I will be able to modify it or make it work for one of my tanks.  Now I would also totally buy another if we could change it to a little @Cory or @Dean’s Fishroom fishing in our aquarium 🙂 That would be an amazing product.  

13 minutes ago, KlaasjeD said:

At the vet clinic I worked for we had pill popper sticks in 2 sizes for cats and dogs, never thought of this use for them, but they would be perfect for root tabs, thanks for the thought to get me started. I have the same problem with our 60 G tank!

It exists here on the forum. Here was a great post by @Bill Smith on how to make one:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Please invent the robot that carries 5 Gallon buckets of water up and down flights of stairs.... My son is 9 so..... a couple more years...

Please invent a laminated easy to read one or 2 sheet: 

plant chart that specifies the preferred temp, ph, and nutrients by plant type 
plant chart specifies what deficiencies look like 

algae chart that specifies what causes each one and how to battle it

Fish chart showing diseases and possible medications 

Fish chart showing regions and water types 

Combine all of these laminated pages in a plastic binder that I can put in my fishroom for reference. With the disclaimer that these suggestions 'are designed to fix most problems, most of the time, for most people and that certain water conditions create unpredictable variables when solving these problems'. 
Make available for purchase at Aquarium coop. It basically would be a Giant FAQ index. 
Maybe this group could help create it. 

• Like 4

I was just posting on another thread and remembered an old filter that I liked made by Wardley called the Sandman. It was a fluidized bed sand filter as a hang on back. It had some design issues but it got me thinking about maybe someone making a hang on back filter that used K1 or a similar type of media. We've all seen the soda bottles inside a tank with K1 media bouncing around. I've seen sumps using K1 media (both above and below tank sumps.) Why not a HOB filter that uses K1 media? You'd need a prefilter chamber to remove suspended solids then a sealed chamber with the right flow for the K1, then an outlet. Maybe sneak in a compartment for carbon or other materials also. It should be doable. As far as I can tell no one's done it though. You can buy reactor chambers to use as a K1 filter but they're mostly for the marine hobby and for use in sumps. That could be a pretty neat HOB option for aquarists. K1 media is widely used by koi keepers also. I've still got that old Sandman filter someplace. Maybe I'll pick up some K1 media and see what I can do with it in the Sandman. 

2 hours ago, gardenman said:

I was just posting on another thread and remembered an old filter that I liked made by Wardley called the Sandman. It was a fluidized bed sand filter as a hang on back. It had some design issues but it got me thinking about maybe someone making a hang on back filter that used K1 or a similar type of media. We've all seen the soda bottles inside a tank with K1 media bouncing around. I've seen sumps using K1 media (both above and below tank sumps.) Why not a HOB filter that uses K1 media? You'd need a prefilter chamber to remove suspended solids then a sealed chamber with the right flow for the K1, then an outlet. Maybe sneak in a compartment for carbon or other materials also. It should be doable. As far as I can tell no one's done it though. You can buy reactor chambers to use as a K1 filter but they're mostly for the marine hobby and for use in sumps. That could be a pretty neat HOB option for aquarists. K1 media is widely used by koi keepers also. I've still got that old Sandman filter someplace. Maybe I'll pick up some K1 media and see what I can do with it in the Sandman. 

Well the Coop carries an internal K1 filter.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/filtration/products/ziss-bubble-bio-moving-bed-filter

15 hours ago, gardenman said:

Why not a HOB filter that uses K1 media? You'd need a prefilter chamber to remove suspended solids then a sealed chamber with the right flow for the K1, then an outlet.

I am curious, would this kind of HOB be suitable, at least potentially? This is a modular system and all the chambers are sealed. (not my photos)

1218077226_modularclosedHOB_02.jpg.df527bdb361888cf3cc1fb5fc30dcb9e.jpg

Edited by Fonske

7 hours ago, Fonske said:

I am curious, would this kind of HOB be suitable, at least potentially? This is a modular system and all the chambers are sealed. (not my photos)

1218077226_modularclosedHOB_02.jpg.df527bdb361888cf3cc1fb5fc30dcb9e.jpg

It would depend on the internal design of those units. I'd have to see inside one of those modular units to see if it was usable.