What did you get done today?

Cory

I successfully decluttered my email, did 3 water changes and trimmed/fixed plants in 4 of my 13 tanks (including the turtle pond).

I also added plants to the 5 gallon scuds/snails/planaria tank.

Pictures haven't happened yet, will probably be adding them to the Architects' Journal. May come back after dinner and start a new Journal just for the spouse's tank, as the spouse has started writing short stories for the fish, lol

• Like 3

Stopped in at work on my day off yesterday to check on my rasboras, who were looking good and hungry. Fed them a few dustings of flakes which they voraciously attacked. Waiting to hear back from the LFS whether to expect the rest of the school on Tuesday, or if they'll take longer to come in.

5e624597-4da7-47b1-820d-f08b87dc51eb.gif.85b069ce35a50e875993f68ee21253e9.gif

Edited by drewzero1
visual aid!
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

Had to move several more male guppies out of my 'main' tank due to aggressive harrassment of male mollies.  Very disappointing as I really enjoy the beauty of the guppy boys in there, the tank that we see at mealtime and throughout the evening. The tank has lost a lot of its color with these removals; I hope the green neons I ordered will jazz it back up and the mollies can live in peace.

Also, I remember that when my blue moscows were young they were non-stop fighting but now are peaceful, so I think in the future I may try to let some of the thug guppies back into the kitchen tank once they are middle-aged to see if they have calmed down.

Today I had a discussion with my friend who owns the house I live in to find out if he is okay with me potentially having a second (small) tank set up as a quarantine tank.  I didn't want to just assume he'd be okay with it.  Turns out he's fine with it in concept 😁, but changed the conversation to whether or not I should be spending any money on this stuff at all. 😟  He considers having a fish tank a luxury.  So what do you think -  Do you think of having an aquarium as an extravagant spend/luxury good? 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2022 at 11:03 PM, Zaffis said:

Today I had a discussion with my friend who owns the house I live in to find out if he is okay with me potentially having a second (small) tank set up as a quarantine tank.  I didn't want to just assume he'd be okay with it.  Turns out he's fine with it in concept 😁, but changed the conversation to whether or not I should be spending any money on this stuff at all. 😟  He considers having a fish tank a luxury.  So what do you think -  Do you think of having an aquarium as an extravagant spend/luxury good? 

fish tanks are a luxury, but you can justify a 5 or 10gal tank as needed for a qt tank as you already have fish. bonus, a 10gal tank is pretty cheap.

On 4/17/2022 at 11:10 PM, lefty o said:

fish tanks are a luxury, but you can justify a 5 or 10gal tank as needed for a qt tank as you already have fish. bonus, a 10gal tank is pretty cheap.

Well, at the moment I don't have any fish.  The potential for a QT would be for incoming fish/plants that I would get.  So I think he is looking at the fact that I haven't had fish for a few years as a chance to get out. (maybe)

Do you think of having an aquarium as an extravagant spend/luxury good? 

In my home, we often refer to them as a psych med. (With full respect to the actual healthcare field.) The thinking is that if the fish give me a benefit comparable to a med's benefits, then the cost is as justified as the cost of actual meds.

If a person can be okay without a thing, it's a luxury. That's probably the case with most fishkeepers. 

Edited by CalmedByFish
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Fish are absolutely a luxury, but that doesn't mean they aren't worthwhile. It also really depends on your financial situation. You must be able to use a critical eye and really look at if you can afford to keep fish. The costs can add up quickly. Maybe it is a tradeoff for you, where you keep fish, but don't spend extra money in other areas. Maybe you just plain don't have the money for it. That is a decision that you must make for yourself. 

On 4/18/2022 at 12:03 AM, Zaffis said:

Trade off for me. I’m not a go out to eat or out have fun person my home is my enjoyment so this is my entertainment budget. If I was in financial hardship they would be taken down until I was in a better place. If I was saving to buy a home I would keep it small. It can be done on a tight budget. As far as a qt this is still my method as I do find running a qt always is a PITA  especially with emergency meds if required killing the cycle anyway. It’s easier for me to house a few extra small sponges in my main tanks. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

@GuppysnailThat's potentially what I was going to do.  I was either going to get a cheap 10g aquarium or a 10g-equivalent storage tote.  I was concerned about the potential for heat issues with a plastic tote if I set up a heater or light on it, otherwise it was my go to because it could be put away when not being used.  

I think the aspect that got under my skin the most about his comments was that I was somehow going to break the bank spending ~$15 on this.  I'm poor, but I'm not that poor.  I know he didn't say these things to be mean, he was trying to be helpful and a good friend, but wow do I still feel bad about myself a day later.

@Zaffis I run heaters and lights on the totes. I get heavy duty ones that are food safe and microwave safe ( it won’t say it because they are larger than microwave but. Look for the Rubbermaid material or the actual Rubbermaid label). Use the suction cups with the heater and an led light. If you commit to having a pet (fish) it is the responsible thing to be sure you can care for them if they need qt. Hope that makes you feel better. Many folks don’t look at pets as essential others have done science studies on the positive health and well-being benefits pets bring to our lives. My hubby thinks fish are a huge waste of money but is happy I have them and supports me because he knows the emotional joy they bring me. 
edit to add I store my fish equipment in them when they are not in use so they are practical as well 😁

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 2

I would consider a fish tank a luxury inasmuch as I would consider any pet a luxury, though fish can be cheaper to keep than many other common pets. (I definitely wouldn't try to keep a cat on the amount I spend on fish.) As with other pets there are potentially life-changing intangible benefits that come with keeping them.

I spent another half hour tonight scooping out duckweed, listening to music, and checking in with my fish. It was a bit tedious but I appreciate the opportunity to wind down after a busy couple of days. Sometimes I find that watching the aquarium inhabitants going about their lives can help me process things I'm thinking about.

• Like 2

On 4/17/2022 at 10:03 PM, Zaffis said:

A lot of people consider a tank as a luxury.

I consider having nature inside as a mental health need for people who are unable to spend /get to nature preserves. I help people build aquariums that meet their budget needs as a type of mental health therapy.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Did the usual water change on the 120,29,29. Couldn't do much with the white 29 since the hongsloi female had eggs; the black didn't need much done. Here are some updated pictures after water change:

For the white since last picture I added a couple of crypts (cryptocoryne affinis red  and cryptocoryne pontederiifolia )- you might spot them if you look carefully and a stone against the driftwood on the left since the l333 kept digging up the tank (he lives in the coconut shell but it seems every 6 or 9 months he goes looking for a new cave and digs everything up; then discover the coconut shell isn't so bad and goes back there). Also it appears that one of the mystery snails managed to get some eggs to hatch and i have a gazillion little mystery snails i need to do something with sooner or later.

2.jpg.4ed167e4ecd4076ab9916bab586ee27e.jpg

Nothing really new with the black aquarium - no new plants or fishes since i added the eques. Only one spot left for a plant but it would have to be something that can handle a lot of shade... I might try one of the smaller swords there but not sure there is enough light for it to sustain itself. I find many sword plants - esp the colourful ones need a fair amount of light. Oh the 2 1/2  year old dwarf lily decided to sprout again - it is next to the sponge filter - for a while it was partially covered which probably kept it from sprouting. Both the black and white tank have been setup for 3 years in june so fairly stable aquariums so far.

1.jpg.eec4b7273bac410c0f8d39b4218229f7.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 3

I scooped out more duckweed from the 40, reworked the light hanger for my desktop tank, and cleaned out a small planter I'm hoping to use for a patio pond this summer. Now I'm researching for a little trip to identify and possibly collect some native plants from a pond that is not connected to my local lake system (or, if that's not an option, finding a local nursery that sells native aquaric/emergent plants).

I haven't wanted to do the work I'm supposed to be doing today, so I guess I've been procrastinating with fish stuff. 😳

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Today did three water changes. One on the discus tank and one and a idk what it would be. I have one huge angle a blue and 6 Bronze or green Cory’s, a few albino Cory’s ,a green phantom and about 10 red eye tetras oh and two red tail sharks.  Lots of plants and wood. It’s a fun one. And my red shoulder Severum tank that has a jag cat and 6 bueno Aries tetras. Few BN. Just me and my 3 yr old. She loves feeding them. Finally convinced mom to get a tank upstairs hehe. 

• Like 1

I've been nuking a tank I kept a sick betta in with a bleach solution. I'm on my 5th rinse of it along with all of the equipment that I've used for my aquariums that came in contact with his tank. Received my python and new equipment for the tank so that I can set it up as a green fire tetra tank!

• Like 2

On 4/19/2022 at 10:16 AM, Juancho said:

3FB6D5C2-0831-40C5-99EB-CFB12D0B220D.jpeg

This amano is officially named king kong now.

On 4/20/2022 at 10:36 PM, Juancho said:

I have one huge angle a blue and 6 Bronze or green Cory’s, a few albino Cory’s ,a green phantom and about 10 red eye tetras oh and two red tail sharks.

Pictures of the green corys and the sharks!?!?!?!?  How do you feel about your RT-Sharks?  Mine is in the journal, but she's been having some "fun" behaviors the last 2 nights since I rescaped the tank.

On 4/19/2022 at 10:53 PM, Torrey said:

A lot of people consider a tank as a luxury.

I consider having nature inside as a mental health need for people who are unable to spend /get to nature preserves. I help people build aquariums that meet their budget needs as a type of mental health therapy.

Agreed.  I like to design things and for me it's a very creative outlet. Especially being able to just get in and mess wish scapes all the time or placement of things. It's a very aesthetic thing for me and something that keeps me busy on something positive instead of negative.  I also, since being back in the hobby, really appreciate the aural aspect of the aquarium and having the flowing water around me. 

For my chores today:

I got the new tank stand in, will likely assemble it around midnight or so with the pups.

I had to clean the front yard again a bit so I can use the newly cleaned area for my water changes.  I fed the fish, turned off the flow to the pumps and got distracted again.... Hate that.  Why can't HoBs just have a feed button..... so. early WC but that's perfectly fine.

The tidal's tell me I need to clean them every 5 seconds because of the constant bypass anyways.

Edited by nabokovfan87

On 4/21/2022 at 6:01 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Pictures of the green corys and the sharks!?!?!?!?  How do you feel about your RT-Sharks?  Mine is in the journal, but she's been having some "fun" behaviors the last 2 nights since I rescaped the tank.

Agreed.  I like to design things and for me it's a very creative outlet. Especially being able to just get in and mess wish scapes all the time or placement of things. It's a very aesthetic thing for me and something that keeps me busy on something positive instead of negative.  I also, since being back in the hobby, really appreciate the aural aspect of the aquarium and having the flowing water around me. 

For my chores today:

I got the new tank stand in, will likely assemble it around midnight or so with the pups.

I had to clean the front yard again a bit so I can use the newly cleaned area for my water changes.  I fed the fist, turn off the flow to the pumps and got distracted again.... Hate that.  Why can't HoBs just have a feed button..... so. early WC but that's perfectly fine.

The tidal's tell me I need to clean them every 5 seconds because of the constant bypass anyways.

Haha. I like that King Kong. I noticed that the other day when he came to the front usually he’s sets in back. I dropped a piece of beef heart and they loved it. 

Here’s the red tails. There’s three but one grew super fast, so he’s in the 125 with a bunch of others and he’s calmed down a bit. 

F06236FB-8A1F-4675-AAEC-CD82FDB55D87.jpeg

E8F8B32D-BEE6-43D9-A026-ED85631B9FEC.jpeg

303B186D-CC10-4575-BDBC-B30BE751ECA4.jpeg

29FFF712-A1CA-49E1-B1A6-0752E33953B8.jpeg

512B9C77-E6CF-4956-A60C-77EE5EA856FA.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 4/21/2022 at 6:01 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

For my chores today:

I had to clean the front yard again a bit so I can use the newly cleaned area for my water changes.  I fed the fist, turn off the flow to the pumps and got distracted again.... Hate that.  Why can't HoBs just have a feed button..... so. early WC but that's perfectly fine.

Haha. I like that King Kong. I noticed that the other day when he came to the front usually he’s sets in back. I dropped a piece of beef heart and they loved it. 

Here’s the red tails. There’s three but one grew super fast, so he’s in the 125 with a bunch of others and he’s calmed down a bit. 

DA3E4B5B-102A-45DC-85DD-36E755F0C579.jpeg

B4F51A39-B370-4AA7-B008-853405D7DA00.jpeg

E559AB75-1B0D-4199-9FEC-8CD3F6AF2A13.jpeg