What did you get done today?

Cory

Today I placed my first co-op order.  Picked up a bunch of stuff I'll need on hand when I'm ready to prep for set up of a quarantine tank.  I also saved a bunch of items already for a second order when I am ready ready to put fish in that quarantine tank 😄

After thinking about what plants I might want to start with, I thought about my current landscape and decided to take the time now to rearrange the rocks into a more manageable orientation.  I previously had a couple issues getting the gravel vac between the largest rock and the glass because I got them to close together.  Now everything has clearance around the perimeter for the vacuum.  

Let everything sit for a few hours and then did my daily water parameters test.  Nothing changed from all the movement.

Received the Fritz's Fishless Fuel I ordered to give me something to test whether my beneficial bacteria colony is still there or not.  We'll see tomorrow where that stands and go from there.  If it isn't, then I'll probably just start with planting the tank and use the plants/fertilizers to regrow the beneficial bacteria colony.

• Like 4

Picked up this guy today.  He’s absolutely gorgeous!  And a big boy!  I truly lucked onto him because I was chatting with a local guy that’s gotten out of breeding angels due to his work travel schedule.  He sold him to me for HALF his original asking price because he’s an odd man out from his other angels that he kept.  I’m so thrilled with how he looks and he’ll certainly end up as tank boss because the trio of BSP I got at the fish association auction are half his size, barely reaching adult.  Any other angels I get are going to be younger and much smaller.

He will go in the tank in 4 weeks once he’s done with QT and I’ll hold a week on QT release to add the trio of BSP at the same time so I’ll have even numbers of angels going in at once.  It wouldn’t hurt my feelings if my free agent, third wheel, BSP turns out to be female to go with this big guy.  Otherwise it will be months before any littles I get will grow up enough for pairing.

I boosted the tannins in the tank for him and will have to shift some Buce/Anubias wood pieces to give him a better swim path through the tank since he’s so tall.  All the angels can see each other across an 8” gap between tanks and are very interested in the others.  Since the BSP’s are already pretty settled and used to me, I think it helped him settle a lot faster since he could take some behavioral cues from them.

I have too much tannins in the water and the lights aren’t just right to catch all the blue he has in his fins and body.  He’ll be even more gorgeous once he’s in the main tank!

8BFC239C-3AA1-41C5-B186-C536DAEBC094.jpeg

1A95210C-167B-4921-A511-98B914660974.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Love 6

Did all the big monthly impeller cleanings on the tanks, moved some wood / caves around and "spruced up the tanks" a bit.

Turn on the filter, no power. Hm.....

That's just the most adrenaline filled moment for a lot of hobbyists. Trying to keep things going and you have the one major part you need not to fail, fail. I opened up the pump, reseated the impeller and off it went. *sigh of relief*

• Like 5

Today I confronted the hair algae in my 20g tall window tank. I'm all for a little hair algae, but...it's out of control, especially in between the stems from my lily pads and between the corkscrew val.

I used a bristly brush made for cleaning out straws and twirled it around like spaghetti and pulled out about 1.5 cups all told. 

I removed duckweed from three tanks this weekend with a dog comb, and by "removed" I mean that by late the next day, you could hardly tell I did anything. Happy weekend puttering, anyway!

• Like 2

Not really doing much with the aquarium today but did do a bit of observation. What we see here is a female guppy hanging out with the cory. Now while the picture is just an instance in time she has been spending quite a bit of time down there - at least today. This is of course not normal for a guppy as they like to hang out at the top but perhaps she finds that being part of their group discourages the males from harassing her. I don't know if that is the case so just chalk it up to speculation; of course it could just be safety in numbers. Pity guppies can't talk then we could ask her about her new bbfs.

gg.jpg.54a4e1e2c7b35bb7346c57a9945e3684.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 2

On 4/11/2022 at 10:36 AM, anewbie said:

This is of course not normal for a guppy as they like to hang out at the top but perhaps she finds that being part of their group discourages the males from harassing her.

Is there a lot of males bothering her? Might also be flow or because the bottom of the tank is cooler? Who doesn't want to hang out with Corys all day!

Do you happen to know what CW# those are? Very nice ones.

On 4/11/2022 at 1:41 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Is there a lot of males bothering her? Might also be flow or because the bottom of the tank is cooler? Who doesn't want to hang out with Corys all day!

Do you happen to know what CW# those are? Very nice ones.

They are eques.

• Like 1

I recently took a little break from the hobby.  By break I mean I only kept 6 aquariums instead of 40.  So I’m catching up on CoOp videos.  
Cory, just be yourself.  You do you.  Have fun, learn, educate and enjoy nature.

I can’t wait for the heaters and lights 

Edited by Brian
?
  • Like 2

On 4/11/2022 at 10:36 AM, anewbie said:

Not really doing much with the aquarium today but did do a bit of observation. What we see here is a female guppy hanging out with the cory. Now while the picture is just an instance in time she has been spending quite a bit of time down there - at least today. This is of course not normal for a guppy as they like to hang out at the top but perhaps she finds that being part of their group discourages the males from harassing her. I don't know if that is the case so just chalk it up to speculation; of course it could just be safety in numbers. Pity guppies can't talk then we could ask her about her new bbfs.

gg.jpg.54a4e1e2c7b35bb7346c57a9945e3684.jpg

The female guppy must be mad with the males 😡. And happy with the corys  😊

• Haha 2

Picked up a new rack! I have a 29 and a 20L in storage + relocated my invert tank onto it. I'm not sure how I want to go about this whole setup thing but I'm really leaning toward making it into a breeding rack with planted tanks on top, breeding setups on the bottom, and growouts in the middle. I lost my female angel recently so this unfortunately won't be used for her, but I may look into finally raising sparkling gourami fry or breeding my GBRs.

• Like 2

Made a make shift fry box. Taking some notes from Dean the man and others. I didn’t want to see my new super reds get lost in the gravel so I mad a make shift fry box at lunch today. Seems to work well. I’ll let ya all know. The fry in the breeder box Pic are about a month and a half old.  I love this hobby. 

22CB6D2F-7C30-4F47-915A-9C933DC3AD81.jpeg

88F7EEC9-C26A-4AD9-B5A6-ADC13DF63790.jpeg

22443DC2-F54C-4690-AEA5-8A496C4FF547.jpeg

• Like 3

I did water testing, topped off tanks, installed a couple of new filters (including my newly arrived Co-Op sponge filter) and measured for a UGF to lift eggs into a breeder box/net/or homemade breeder box (still examining what I need to do, to make breeding the longfin zebra danio easier).

On 4/9/2022 at 3:56 PM, anewbie said:

Angels are angels when they are young; pity they grow up and become devils. Kind of like people i guess.

I have a two year old who would beg to differ! 😈

My office tank completed the (re)cycle after the tank size and filter upgrade, so I bought the three lamb chop rasboras the LFS had, and ordered three more. I added them at the end of the day before going home so I've been nervous all night! Next time I'll try to add fish when I can keep an eye on them.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2022 at 11:12 PM, Heath_ said:

I propagated some pothos to add to my 130 litre (35 gallon) guppy and bristlenose breeding tank. I need to add more to control my ammonia!

image.jpg

How long after propagating do you start seeing roots? I did some a few weeks ago and I think I must have messed it up, because I'm not seeing any growth. 

On 4/14/2022 at 6:57 AM, drewzero1 said:

I have a two year old who would beg to differ! 😈

Yea well; I don't feel like arguing with a two year old; i mean i don't know about you but i've never won an argument with a two year old.

• Haha 3

On 4/14/2022 at 8:34 AM, anewbie said:

Yea well; I don't feel like arguing with a two year old; i mean i don't know about you but i've never won an argument with a two year old.

I have, almost daily, but it's usually not pretty!

Got into work and was greeted by three rasboras, all seem very alive, happy, and hungry! They've already colored up a lot since yesterday.

Went to the Coop yesterday and had a great time! Mr. Peas and I made a whole outing out of it, and he finally met Murphy who was too self-absorbed and cute, then I was left by myself for quite a while. Did a lot of damage, of course.

The best part is I got a girl for Ojitos, my sparkling gourami, and named her Puella. They have been swimming together and his colors are amazing. If Mr. Peas gets near the tank and Puella is nearby, Ojitos immediately gets in front and challenges him. Quite funny, and sweet. A knight in shining armor!

Got a new tank because the little nano that lives in the shrimp room has been on my list of favorite tanks. She did an amazing job with the plants! Then got some wood, because, well, because. I am going to gift this tank to my son as a housewarming present.

Played with the pea puffers, the Schoutedeni puffer, admired very beautiful plecos, and all the fish in the store. Everyone was incredibly helpful and quite cheerful. I wanted most of the fish in there! 😍

Thank you, Coop!

• Like 4
  • Love 4

On 4/14/2022 at 10:21 PM, ndfi78 said:

How long after propagating do you start seeing roots? I did some a few weeks ago and I think I must have messed it up, because I'm not seeing any growth. 

It took a couple of weeks for me, maybe make sure your pothos is not rotted. I also propagated it in a drink bottle to ensure my fish would not eat the growing roots before they get established.

• Like 1

Removed the fry from the cave today. Their doing well. Here’s a pic there’s only a few on the almond leaf I bought from the co-op. But there’s about 20-25 under the leaf. I’ll start to drop crushed spirulina and krill tomorrow see what happens. I have 5 females and one male super reds. I need to buy another male or two.  Time for bed. Water change day tomorrow. 

8CF30FC5-D85E-4870-90BE-65B6B2B1B135.jpeg

• Like 3

I did another water test for my sister's aquarium today! Currently helping her cycle her African dwarf frog tank. Parameters were looking good 💙 Here's a picture of one of her little cuties. I really enjoy getting to help my sister into the aquarium hobby and share this passion of mine with her.

IMG_0291.png.6616cdc9dfc644a0bfd967ed0b20a752.png

• Like 4