What did you get done today?

Cory

On 4/21/2022 at 7:30 PM, Juancho said:

Here’s the red tails. There’s three but one grew super fast, so he’s in the 125 with a bunch of others and he’s calmed down a bit. 

Very cool! Mine is "fully grown" and I could only imagine how fun it would be to have multiple. The white tips remind me of the big open ocean white tips that seemingly have a very similar personality.

Corys are always fun for me. I always enjoy their variety and how they seem unique from other fish. Thanks for sharing!

20220402_094551.JPG.c9f486658f5547cdaa1c7f2d19b4a080.JPG

On 4/21/2022 at 7:50 PM, Baphijmm said:

A nice name... except I'm fairly certain that's a female. So, Queen Kong? (Or perhaps Lizzy, if you want to take a Rampage-style slant to it.)

Very very very likely. I just imagined the amano looking down at all the other shrimp and making gigantic walking sounds when she moved around and all over the tank. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 4/21/2022 at 10:57 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Very cool! Mine is "fully grown" and I could only imagine how fun it would be to have multiple. The white tips remind me of the big open ocean white tips that seemingly have a very similar personality.

Corys are always fun for me. I always enjoy their variety and how they seem unique from other fish. Thanks for sharing!

20220402_094551.JPG.c9f486658f5547cdaa1c7f2d19b4a080.JPG

Very very very likely. I just imagined the amano looking down at all the other shrimp and making gigantic walking sounds when she moved around and all over the tank. 😂

Wow man he looks awesome. Great pic to. Yeah, you know I have had these for about 3 month and absolutely love them. Always moving. 
no problem man. Thanks for taking interest. It awesome to talk to others about the hobby exactly why I got in board. 
lol that big ole girl. Shes been with me for a very long time. First shirmps I ever owned. There were six shes the last of the amano but as you can see living large lol. 

• Like 1

Did a water change in the Discus tank aka the chicken coop. I had a forty breeder that had nothing in it for awhile just water and algae. But today I added some housing and caves for plecos. Wiped down the glass and bought a new heater. Now I have some browns BN I gonna pair. Can’t wait to see what happens. I also dumped the super reds in the grow out. And cleaned the albino BN tank out. Man what a day. And to top off the day bought a new canister filter for the 125.  It was a great day 

I found a tentative location for my patio pond planter and filled it with water. I've got some pots picked for planting and now I just need to propagate some plants! (And figure out an air hookup.) I'm going to keep an eye on direct sun and water temperature over the weekend, may need to move it for a bit more shade.

Just spent an hour relaxing and observing my tanks. Caught my angelfish eating a pretty big snail. The two snails were in the process of making more snails when the angel suddenly came and slurped one right out of its shell. Not very angelic... but I'm glad my long time suspicion of the angel being the snail population control is now confirmed. People with snail issues, here is the solution :)

angel_01.jpg.ceb8b173c5c15446cf2c2db3c99d5a28.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 4

On 4/22/2022 at 10:05 PM, Fonske said:

Just spent an hour relaxing and observing my tanks.

I'm about to go do this with mine.

Your coloration on the angel is pretty amazing. Very nice faint blue on the fins and captured extremely well with the photo. Nice work.  Would be a pretty epic Jimmy edit if I ever saw one.

I assembled the tank stand today. Set it in the temporary location.  Family came home from the stressful day and the response I get is "hm, is that gonna be in the way?"  A bit later we talk more about the location for the "family tank" and then the question becomes "well is it gonna smell?" 

So I guess I need to learn to add electrical to other spots in the house or move it somewhere else. 🙁

I went to check on the fish before bed. They were sleeping, colors were a bit feint as a result.  The fish saw me walk in and sort of shuttered, so I'll end up sitting in front of the tank with the blue light on just making sure everyone is doing alright.

See ya'll on the next one 🙂

• Like 3

On 4/23/2022 at 3:34 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Your coloration on the angel is pretty amazing. Very nice faint blue on the fins and captured extremely well with the photo.

Thank you. It's amazing how he (or she) can change colors in seconds...the black stripes sometimes disappear entirely, turning him into an almost pure silver fish. The pretty blue doesn't change though and only gets more intense with age, as a baby he had nothing of it at all. 

On 4/23/2022 at 3:34 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I assembled the tank stand today. Set it in the temporary location.  Family came home from the stressful day and the response I get is "hm, is that gonna be in the way?"  A bit later we talk more about the location for the "family tank" and then the question becomes "well is it gonna smell?" 

So I guess I need to learn to add electrical to other spots in the house or move it somewhere else. 🙁

Sounds very familiar. Every time it started with "do you really want a fish tank?" and "where are we going to put it?" for me. Yet after a while the blue angel becomes the most precious fish in the house and several tanks are fitted into a small apartment in a way that's ok with everybody. Good luck with the rest of the setup!

• Like 2

Anyway today is saturday and did the usual set of water changes. Today I think I'll give an updated picture of my 5 gallon since i actually did a water change on it (usually i do one every 2 to 4 weeks); and the 120 which really needs some love and care:

Here is the 5; not much - seems like a bit of a yucky picture. One of the 3 pleco can be seen on the right and above it a very hairy snail. The barclay is actually doing pretty well and is center back; there is a small queen silver on the right and it has a new leaf. The little grassy thing spreading everywhere is dwarf sag and I really need to do some weeding cause it just keeps popping up everywhere. There is a nice nurii rosen on the left front (and 2 more behind it along the edge). And you can see some shrimps - sadly the shrimps are just not doing that great - they've gotten large but they aren't spreading and occasionally one seems to vanish forever.

t2.jpg.d38dd00bc6cba02906e265edde14b6a3.jpg

Here is the 120. It will be 3 years old in about 2 weeks; and i don't think it is doing that well. Something just seems off. About the only decent thing here is the ruffle sword has some nice healthy new leaves in the middle; the tiny apongeton crypt is actually growing really well. You can't see it but it is between the ruffle sword and the PSO. When I was poking around back there i saw 3 very healthy leaves (i was sure it wasn't going to make it so that is a big positive). Also I have an unknown sword on the right side behind the gold angels at the very back - i know it grows tall (around 23 inches - since that was the height before i cut it down) and it has a purplish tint but the exact species is unknown - it was sold as a purple aflame which it obviously is not.  Last but least that nifty new sword plant in the front below the gold angels has a cluster of about 6 news leaves since i took a picture of it a few weeks ago - so it is growing quite rapidly (which is odd since it is supposedly an extremely slow growing plant).

t1.jpg.094136b41b36c9b51c88608017bd8b21.jpg

Edited by anewbie
  • Love 1

@nabokovfan87  This week a coworker suspected my aquarium of causing a weird smell in the office. Turns out it was another coworker's dog, chewing on a dried beef pizzle. Fish have been the least stinky pet I've ever had.

@Streetwise  I think so, but my connection's always a bit spotty so it's hard to tell. Thank you!

I was working and playing out in the yard all day and kept an eye on the sunlight level and water temp in the patio pond planter. My kid started playing in the water and almost immediately fell in, so I had my worries confirmed that it could potentially be hazardous. I'm looking into some kind of barrier or cover that might discourage toddlers and other neighborhood wildlife from entering the water.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2022 at 8:40 PM, drewzero1 said:

I found a tentative location for my patio pond planter and filled it with water. I've got some pots picked for planting and now I just need to propagate some plants! (And figure out an air hookup.) I'm going to keep an eye on direct sun and water temperature over the weekend, may need to move it for a bit more shade.

Pics?

• Like 1

On 4/23/2022 at 10:00 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Pics?

IMG_20220423_084428.jpg.6ec142c5fcd9e0806eb924ecfdbc976a.jpg

Not much to see at the moment. I've got an upside-down terracotta pot and a plastic pot for planting (which will hopefully stay put in the middle when it has something in it). Maybe an emergent plant or two for the center pot, something like cattail or arrowleaf. I'll run an airline out from the house to power a sponge filter and provide some surface agitation.

Stocking will be light since it's only 12 gallons; I've got some white cloud minnows that bred in their species tank last summer. I'd also really like to try some variatus platies but it might be a bit on the small side for them.

If I can get the project going I'll start a journal, but for now it's just a pot of water.

• Like 3

On 4/23/2022 at 10:42 PM, drewzero1 said:

IMG_20220423_084428.jpg.6ec142c5fcd9e0806eb924ecfdbc976a.jpg

Not much to see at the moment. I've got an upside-down terracotta pot and a plastic pot for planting (which will hopefully stay put in the middle when it has something in it). Maybe an emergent plant or two for the center pot, something like cattail or arrowleaf. I'll run an airline out from the house to power a sponge filter and provide some surface agitation.

Stocking will be light since it's only 12 gallons; I've got some white cloud minnows that bred in their species tank last summer. I'd also really like to try some variatus platies but it might be a bit on the small side for them.

If I can get the project going I'll start a journal, but for now it's just a pot of water.

That’s awesome. There’s a YouTuber in Australia that did  something like your gonna do. It’s a great idea. 

On 4/23/2022 at 8:42 PM, drewzero1 said:

I'll run an airline out from the house to power a sponge filter and provide some surface agitation.

Depending on how tall the pot is, I really like these.  It looks good.  we just had some concrete poured for the backyard to give us something to stare at besides dirt.  I'm always interested to see people's backyard setups.  Especially something that can overwinter, it should be pretty easy to do that here.

https://www.amazon.com/Tetra-Whisper-AP150-Aquarium-Applications/dp/B000V7KM32

On 4/23/2022 at 8:16 PM, Streetwise said:

I did something. Does the forum seem faster?

Things definitely posting faster. I didn’t know if it was my phone or not. It’s a brand “5G” and is slower then my old phone ha. 

Finished setting up my pleco breeding tank. And did some tank maintenance. I been using this specimen container for maintenance on the tanks. Looks like I need a couple more for what there actually made for. 

C67B3673-039D-4FA8-A1B3-09A77294B851.jpeg

C4E12193-DFDE-40C2-9191-56FEDA1CEA4D.jpeg

• Like 3

On 4/23/2022 at 10:48 PM, Juancho said:

That’s awesome. There’s a YouTuber in Australia that did  something like your gonna do. It’s a great idea. 

I'm mostly following info from a great series on YT done by Rachel O'Leary where she sets up a few aboveground ponds on a budget.

On 4/23/2022 at 10:49 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Depending on how tall the pot is, I really like these.  It looks good.  we just had some concrete poured for the backyard to give us something to stare at besides dirt.  I'm always interested to see people's backyard setups.  Especially something that can overwinter, it should be pretty easy to do that here.

https://www.amazon.com/Tetra-Whisper-AP150-Aquarium-Applications/dp/B000V7KM32

It's relatively tall... I'd really rather it was wider. If this experiment goes well I should be able to get something bigger in a year or two. Nothing overwinters here unless it can freeze solid, so it's getting drained in the fall.

I've wanted a fish pond since I was a kid. Now that I've got a house with a yard, some experience keeping aquaria running, and (most importantly) spousal approval, I'm excited to get started!

• Like 2

On 4/23/2022 at 9:11 PM, Baphijmm said:

I mean, cyanobacteria have that really funky smell... but yeah, in general, if the tank stinks, something's wrong. :V

Tank always gives off a smell after feeding for me. Not sure if it's just this brand or it's literally just the smell of the food itself. It doesn't "stink" but I understand the concern 😂.

I totally agree though, the tank should be perfectly fine and never smell bad in any way like that.

So far today, been doing a lot of spring cleaning; going through my piles of supplies, throwing away stuff that's expired, mostly food that either didn't work out or else is no longer applicable. A couple chemicals, that sort of thing. Found three check valves I didn't even know I had! (Which is wonderful for a project I'm planning to take on this week.)

Later today, gonna swap out the filters on the observatory's RO system, see if that doesn't help with my extreme water hardness problem. (And if it does, you know I'm only gonna do gradual, regular water changes to fix it in my tanks. Don't stress out the fish!)

• Like 2

I spent around 8 hours messing with my aquariums today. Did a teeny bit of an aquascape that I know is gonna fall apart in a few weeks and I've accepted it 🤣 I've got red flame sword, baby tears, dwarf hairgrass, cryptocoryn pink flamingo, scarlet temple, a java moss spider I got for half off cause the store didnt have any regular java moss, and aponogeton crispus in this tank. The crypt and scarlet temple are both tissue cultures that I'm trying my hands at. If they die, no skin off my bones. I'll replace the scarlet temple with some pogostemon stellarus octopus I have entirely too much of and I'll fill in the empty space where the crypt is with more baby tears if worse comes to worse. I'm very excited to see this tank clear up and grow out!

I also was taking care of some guppy fry today which took a lot longer than it really needed to, but theyre fine now. In their breeder box tempting their cannible tank mates. I cant wait to see what they start looking like as they grow!

20220424_234417.jpg

20220424_133828.jpg

Edited by JaydenDSin
  • Like 4
  • Love 1