What did you get done today?

Cory

Did usual tuesday water change on the 40. This is the current state - not real happy with it - was getting a bit of algae so upped the fertilizer (i had reduced it as nitrate were running 40; now they are running 5). Also the pso ( stellatus octopus) which is really pq (quadrifolius) broke the surface a couple of months ago and is now blooming. Last but least i'm getting a lot of bba in the bottom right corner so i added a pump after i took the picture to see if current will reduce it (I forget if current helps or hurt bba but maybe @Seattle_Aquarist knows.

(For those who care the plant aquarium-cop sell as stellatus octopus is mislabeled and is really quadrifolius)

One positive is my s. repens has started growing like crazy and is spreading into my crypts on the right.

33.jpg.4c7a43433102e9e35f6e8ecc14919ba7.jpg31.jpg.2116dc898cc289ad5c6a405d3b4c9633.jpg32.jpg.4854964c0851dc783eb6ce6255e8a655.jpg

I sold the last 63 angels from my upstairs tank (I kept 8). That makes 414 angels I sold from 2 spawns in my short career as a breeder of angelfish. The 8 fish I kept (5 platinums and 3 golds), plus 5 orange/black angels I bought are now alone in the upstairs tank.

Downstairs I sold 7 of the adult angels, keeping 6. 

When I get discus for the upstairs tank (that will be a while), I will move some of the angels in that tank downstairs. 

• Like 3
  • Love 4

On 5/3/2022 at 10:25 AM, anewbie said:

Did usual tuesday water change on the 40. This is the current state - not real happy with it - was getting a bit of algae so upped the fertilizer (i had reduced it as nitrate were running 40; now they are running 5). Also the pso ( stellatus octopus) which is really pq (quadrifolius) broke the surface a couple of months ago and is now blooming. Last but least i'm getting a lot of bba in the bottom right corner so i added a pump after i took the picture to see if current will reduce it (I forget if current helps or hurt bba but maybe @Seattle_Aquarist knows.

(For those who care the plant aquarium-cop sell as stellatus octopus is mislabeled and is really quadrifolius)

One positive is my s. repens has started growing like crazy and is spreading into my crypts on the right.

33.jpg.4c7a43433102e9e35f6e8ecc14919ba7.jpg

Hi @anewbie

In answer to your question some say BBA grows in areas where there is minimal water flow but my experience is that it will grow wherever it can - lol! Looking at the picture above I have a couple of questions, what light do you have on that 40 gallon and how long a photoperiod.....it seems awful bright.  Looking at one of the leaves of the Madagascar Lace Plant (Aponogeton madagascariensis) it looks like there is BGA (cyanobacteria) growing on it is that correct?  -Roy

On 5/3/2022 at 1:25 PM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Hi @anewbie

In answer to your question some say BBA grows in areas where there is minimal water flow but my experience is that it will grow wherever it can - lol! Looking at the picture above I have a couple of questions, what light do you have on that 40 gallon and how long a photoperiod.....it seems awful bright.  Looking at one of the leaves of the Madagascar Lace Plant (Aponogeton madagascariensis) it looks like there is BGA (cyanobacteria) growing on it is that correct?  -Roy

The light is a wrgb 2 set at approx 51%. There is no cyanobacteria on the madagascariensis; it is plain algae on the leaves that float on the surface. The ones a bit lower are algae free. The light comes on at 7:40 and goes off at 4:40 but has 1.5 hour ramp up time so it doesn't reach full intensity (which is 50%) until 9:10. 

-

There is some algae on the front glass which is the soft type that i scrape once every 2 or 3 weeks so I think it is mostly ok 'cept for the madagascariensis leaves on the surface. the par meter indicates the surface par around 400 (375) and the bottom par is 100 directly under the light; 60 where the repens is and 25 at the back corner by the matten filter (where one of my crypt is doing badly) - the light has poor angle so area not directly under the light has large fall off. I didn't realize it was so low in that back corner - i had a really nice crypt back there that is struggling so i should probably move it or push the light back. The m. leaf that is coated in algae is floating but the other three just below it - seen in the picture has no algae. Biggest problem is bba on the anubia and parv. sword front right corner - and just behind it. Pushing the light back might help both sides of the aquarium.

On 5/3/2022 at 1:03 PM, HH Morant said:

I sold the last 63 angels from my upstairs tank (I kept 8). That makes 414 angels I sold from 2 spawns in my short career as a breeder of angelfish. The 8 fish I kept (5 platinums and 3 golds), plus 5 orange/black angels I bought are now alone in the upstairs tank.

Downstairs I sold 7 of the adult angels, keeping 6. 

When I get discus for the upstairs tank (that will be a while), I will move some of the angels in that tank downstairs. 

Good luck - after 2 years my group of 8 in a 120 broke down with regards to aggression among each other (6 were siblings and 2 were the parents - and they did fine the first 16 months (past maturity) but it just didn't last.

On 5/3/2022 at 2:02 PM, Tihshho said:

@anewbie what is growing on your mattenfilter? The texture is interesting. 

Combination of algae/bba - but on the sponge I think it is fine as the fishes like it; it happens on all the ones i have (low-tech and hi-tech). 

• Thanks 1

Set up another mini porch pond. This one is for breeding a trio of dwarf neon rainbows. The cherry barbs in that tank have no issues breeding but the rainbows won't get on board so trying this route. I put in plant trimmings and pond snails from the 40 gallon tub after the picture was taken. Bacopa caroliniana, brazilian pennywort, black magic taro, hornwort, and maybe creeping jenny. Tomorrow I'll deal with planting them in floating pots. Also tomorrow the flag fish I bought at Aquashella come out of quarantine so they will be moving to the 110 gallon tub. Which gives me an empty tank for the baby rainbows. 2 empty tanks if I bring my brother in law a ton of guppies.

20220503_161407.jpg

20220503_161036.jpg

20220425_122416.jpg

• Like 5

Went to my local Petco to grab some tanks on offer for growout and....Holy crap guys look at this betta. Literally never seen one like it. I'm seriously considering an impulse buy.

20220505_160209.jpg

• Like 5

On 5/5/2022 at 4:04 PM, ange said:

Went to my local Petco to grab some tanks on offer for growout and....Holy crap guys look at this betta. Literally never seen one like it. I'm seriously considering an impulse buy.

20220505_160209.jpg

DO IT!!!

Man! What a week. Even though I’m in the fish room every night, I feel like I haven’t accomplished anything in here this whole week. Work was crazy. But I found Time to do water changes move fry over to a grow out and re do kind of one of my tanks. Lots of ideas not enough time. Also added one of two aquarium co-op heaters looks great. Space saver and easy, easy to use I like it all around. good work! Also went down to the LFS and bought more frozen shrimp  and bloodworms. No just enjoying room.  Have a great weekend all 

0B05C924-0B74-48F6-8075-714BA61399AE.jpeg

• Like 3

On 4/25/2022 at 12:59 AM, JaydenDSin said:

20220424_234417.jpg

That hairgrass looks awesome!

On 5/6/2022 at 8:57 PM, Juancho said:

Work was crazy. But I found Time to do water changes move fry over to a grow out and re do kind of one of my tanks. Lots of ideas not enough time.

well now we all just wanna see the fry!

On 5/7/2022 at 2:50 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

That hairgrass looks awesome!

well now we all just wanna see the fry!

Man, I tried to get Good pic but I have rock on the bottom of the grow out and they just disappear. The best I could do. I had a video that you could see all the movements but it wouldn’t load 

98B063FE-882E-4F74-9A34-505BDFCE6415.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 5/8/2022 at 9:45 PM, Juancho said:

Man, I tried to get Good pic but I have rock on the bottom of the grow out and they just disappear. The best I could do. I had a video that you could see all the movements but it wouldn’t load 

I can definitely see the little guy on the right poking his head out. Super awesome!  Thanks 🙂

On 5/8/2022 at 10:50 AM, mouseturd13 said:

77867C0C-1300-4E16-A644-C9BD1BE41A14.jpeg

Very nice use of the ceramic.  I love the look of these compared to the traditional pots.  Awesome for little rams and fish that like a little house.

• Thanks 1

Today I sold some (not enough) thug guppies, moved my swordtails to a larger tank and broke down one QT tank with a promise of never setting it back up because I really only ever want to QT one set of fish at a time. Too nerve-wracking for me.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 5:29 PM, Kara C said:

Set up another mini porch pond. This one is for breeding a trio of dwarf neon rainbows. The cherry barbs in that tank have no issues breeding but the rainbows won't get on board so trying this route. I put in plant trimmings and pond snails from the 40 gallon tub after the picture was taken. Bacopa caroliniana, brazilian pennywort, black magic taro, hornwort, and maybe creeping jenny. Tomorrow I'll deal with planting them in floating pots. Also tomorrow the flag fish I bought at Aquashella come out of quarantine so they will be moving to the 110 gallon tub. Which gives me an empty tank for the baby rainbows. 2 empty tanks if I bring my brother in law a ton of guppies.

I literally would have a dozen of these and they'd all be able to be setup for the entire year.... if it weren't for the constant 80 mph winds we have 4-6 times a week.

I love the setup you have. Nice work.

As for my day/Week.

I got out finally and went and got a new CO2 tank.  I called them up before, asked them if they had any 15lb tanks, they said no.  I left my existing empty at home, went in and asked for a 5 or 10 lb tank and ended up with a "ten" and found out they were talking KG the entire time and not lbs.  That's fun.

The reason I needed the CO2 was because I've been emailing back and forth with CO2 art trying to figure out what exactly is going on with my regulator.  One of the dials was loose, which had me concerned it wasn't operating correctly.  One of the screws on the back of the dial has a screw that is stripped or loosened up over time putting the regulator back into the foam packaging or something.  I needed the tank now to verify if / where the regulator was leaking and we'll see how that goes.

I ordered a lid and a new light for the tank.  I also was able to get a new 29G thanks to the sale starting up.  I have to clean this tank pretty good, but that's just part of the process.  The stand is in place, the lid is about to arrive, the filter is already cycled, and all I need to do is determine substrate and scape.  I have to order / install the shims for the stand because of how.... terrible the floor is.  Eventually I'll get everything setup amidst the construction on the house going on.  The goal being... finally get my QT tank empty, get the pandas 3x the tank space, and get them in from of the family so they can actually be enjoyed a bit better.

SOON!

Lots of progress and that feels good.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1

I had ordered a few critters and late last night I added them. Here are a few pictures:

This lady:

a7.jpg.66da2cef2e3cfa11f914bc75af7d288f.jpg

This gentlemen:

a9.jpg.40646429a24c3f25ac914466de7e5fa9.jpg

(I actually received 2 pairs - this pair is in the 5 (for now) the other in a 29 where the female nijjensi is tormenting them - will probably remove her if she doesn't calm down in a day)

-

These fellows and ladies:

a1.jpg.6188eb86ec566260a07f4658c35bc1aa.jpg

And 5 of these odd creatures:

a6.jpg.dda1a43c52b9ab383fa9806ecb0f3229.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Spent nearly an hour gently cleaning and separating a tissue culture cup of marsilea crenata.

IMG_20220512_200023_kindlephoto-281715592.jpg.dd91d7f778a02bf3a29c3dde5ac1aabb.jpg

There may be tears when I attempt to plant this - and eventually rage if it turns out to hate my water after all this effort.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

This was actually on Monday but I forgot about to post it! 

I went down to the co-op and doubled up on my plants for my 40g. Got lots of Brazilian Pennywort to float on top, some more Vallisneria, and a couple red flame sword. I also snagged an impressive-looking pogo out of one of the tetra tanks 😆.

Everyone really seems to be enjoying all the new plants. My panda garra and bristlenose could be a bit shy sometimes but I see them out and about pretty regularly now! Same with some of my shy panda cories. I frequently see them holding little cory conferences in all the vallisneria ☺️.

One of my honey gourami (and a favorite fish of mine) is having a rough go of it in my hospital tank, so it’s really great to see the community thriving and enjoying themselves. 

78F96DF9-C91F-4DDF-96F4-3B61B4581DB3.jpeg.d837e55cefd5e7b43564ae6654bfa548.jpeg

Edited by SpacedCadette
  • Like 2

On 5/13/2022 at 8:58 PM, SpacedCadette said:

This was actually on Monday but I forgot about to post it! 

I went down to the co-op and doubled up on my plants for my 40g. Got lots of Brazilian Pennywort to float on top, some more Vallisneria, and a couple red flame sword. I also snagged an impressive-looking pogo out of one of the tetra tanks 😆.

Everyone really seems to be enjoying all the new plants. My panda garra and bristlenose could be a bit shy sometimes but I see them out and about pretty regularly now! Same with some of my shy panda cories. I frequently see them holding little cory conferences in all the vallisneria ☺️.

One of my honey gourami (and a favorite fish of mine) is having a rough go of it in my hospital tank, so it’s really great to see the community thriving and enjoying  themselves. 

78F96DF9-C91F-4DDF-96F4-3B61B4581DB3.jpeg.d837e55cefd5e7b43564ae6654bfa548.jpeg

I was actually thinking about ordering the Brazilian pennywort. Nice to see it up in something. 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2022 at 10:52 PM, CornAndCrawlers said:

went to a nearby creek looking for wilds scuds for my darter tank. Found this big guy, too big for the darters to eat but not too big to eat up debris and help clean the tank. image.png.9edc06b482b46ec33c51435d51f24259.png

Awesome!

:goes to research binomial: