1930s historically accurate planted aquarium

Daniel

any updates?

also can we get a FTS (full tank shot)

I read most of the complete aquarium 

some stuff i thought was cool

the different ways they circulated and heated

how they built some of there tanks it was really late when i was reading but they occasionally said concrete bottoms right?

again i was reading at really late time 10pm-1am ish so idk if I actually read that lol

Edited by quirkylemon103

@quirkylemon103 Here is your full tank shot, although you will notice the tank itself is not full. I have been stealing green water from the tank to feed some new Daphnia that I recently wild collected.

image.png.f53ef7d55654978a4cd0c1ab3970f7df.png

Right now the tank has just a mated pair of angelfish, some Vallisneria and a big glorp of floating plants that I haven't sorted out yet. I will probably fill it to near the top again later today. Unfortunately it has been cloudy here for a week so the tank is beginning to clear on me, which of course is not what I wanted. Murphy's law says an aquarium won't produce green water when you want to. But that same aquarium will be opaque green when you don't want it to, right @Colu?

The wild collected new strain of Daphnia came from a nearby vernal pool, as I have been pressed for some green water to feed this new very reddish Daphnia species.

image.png.a293aa0aaf7911f6edc2cd130e6f9e38.png

This video is of the new Daphnia feeding off the green water from the 1930s aquarium.

The vernal pool water also has glass worms, blood worms, isopods, Grammarus type amphipods, and Ambystoma salamander larva in it. I try very hard to make sure all the Ambystoma stays in the vernal pool.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I have to admit that I thought a "green water tank" was a joke when I first heard about it. So cool to see experienced aquarists using it to nourish the lifecycle. And this has been such a cool journey in general. It's been great to learn about the history of the hobby, the knowledge vs the mechanical capability. It makes me wonder what fishkeeping will be like in another 100 years.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Kirsten said:

I have to admit that I thought a "green water tank" was a joke when I first heard about it. So cool to see experienced aquarists using it to nourish the lifecycle. And this has been such a cool journey in general. It's been great to learn about the history of the hobby, the knowledge vs the mechanical capability. It makes me wonder what fishkeeping will be like in another 100 years.

I am the same way. I have been in the hobby for over 30 years, and so much has changed in that time. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I stumbled across this thread last night and was so fascinated by it I read through all 9 pages of posts.  I am simply amazed by the ingenuity of our ancestors, the curiosity of modern-day peers, and the combined knowledge base of this community and others like it to support such an endeavor.  I'm 42, but my wife says I am an old soul who should have been born 20-30 years earlier.  I have practically NO knowledge of being an aquarist, but I love things of antiquity and the stories they tell.  Thank you @Daniel, and all of you for what is destined to be an awesome journey! 

Edited by Martin
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/27/2020 at 4:03 PM, Daniel said:

Late this afternoon I delivered the tank to the Imagination Station Science Center in Wilson NC. They have a restoration person on staff that specialized in restoring old windows and glass.

20200727_2698.JPG.90f2a8c904d2c0e91fe3625e7a51722e.JPG

I like this shape. Tall and long, with a short front-to-back distance. How many gallons of water does it hold?

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/4/2021 at 1:52 PM, Daniel said:

@quirkylemon103 Here is your full tank shot, although you will notice the tank itself is not full. I have been stealing green water from the tank to feed some new Daphnia

The wild collected new strain of Daphnia came from a nearby vernal pool, as I have been pressed for some green water to feed this new very reddish Daphnia species.

image.png.a293aa0aaf7911f6edc2cd130e6f9e38.png

I was watching a journey to the micro cosmos video the other day and they were saying how daphnia have the ability to create hemoglobin, which is the same thing that gives our blood its red color. So it's very possible that they just have an increased production of hemoglobin. I cant remember what exactly causes them to make hemoglobin but I'll find the video and link it here.

If you go to 5:20 it starts talking about hemoglobin in daphnia. To paraphrase tho essentially when time gets rough and the daphnia are living in waters low in oxygen, they start producing hemoglobin to be able to uptake more oxygen, and the hemoglobin gives them this oranges reddish hue. They only do this when needed tho bc it makes them more visible to predators.

Edited by Spewing_nonsense_
Adding link
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Spewing_nonsense_ said:

I was watching a journey to the micro cosmos video the other day and they were saying how daphnia have the ability to create hemoglobin, which is the same thing that gives our blood its red color. So it's very possible that they just have an increased production of hemoglobin. I cant remember what exactly causes them to make hemoglobin but I'll find the video and link it here.

Even the nodules on the pea roots in my garden are pink on the inside. It is because the nitrogen fixing bacteria that make the nodules make hemoglobin (which make blood red and nodules pink) to absorb all the oxygen in the nodule so that the bacteria will have the oxygen free environment the bacteria need to go ahead and break down the triple bonded nitrogen molecules.

How cool is that!

7 minutes ago, quirkylemon103 said:

oh I didn't know that . I have a bee question. if someone is allergic to wasp stings is it likely they are allergic to bee stings?

@quirkylemon103 Bee and wasp venoms are different as bees and wasps are only distantly related. Both bee and wasp venom contain distinct major allergens. Phospholipase A2 and mellitin occur only in bee venom, and antigen 5 only in wasp venom, but both venoms contain hyaluronidases. People that are allergic to wasp venom are rarely allergic to bee venom.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Daniel said:

@quirkylemon103 Bee and wasp venoms are different as bees and wasps are only distantly related. Both bee and wasp venom contain distinct major allergens. Phospholipase A2 and mellitin occur only in bee venom, and antigen 5 only in wasp venom, but both venoms contain hyaluronidases. People that are allergic to wasp venom are rarely allergic to bee venom.

Now I know how I sound when I talk about fish to a non-nerm. So many words I never heard before, lol.

• Haha 4