1930s historically accurate planted aquarium

Daniel

1623367795_30sheaterhole.PNG.7952c7cd1dbf67c7d89d09c8b6d93535.PNG

The answer is that you would make a little dam of putty or clay and then pour in molten metal to make a mushroom like cap that could be used to transfer the heat from the flame of a bunsen burner.

795505770_30sheatertextclairified.png.12b97d6f896cf2906970f25e77625100.png

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 1

I am too lazy to change candles and too risk adverse to run a bunsen burner under my aquarium.

The tank moves between 72°F and 78°F each day which is a very, very good temperature range.

My biggest problem now is what to do with a big hole in the bottom of my fish tank. I think the solution will be a big rubber stopper. I will just put substrate over the top of it so it won't be visible.

1288897604_30sStopper.png.194eea9e01161e1d356b493a1cc6e71e.png

• Like 1

The 1930s Historically Accurate Planted Aquarium is finally coming together. I have already decided that it will go near a south facing window, so now the next decision is what kind of substrate. Innes recommends coarse sand, and even mentions builders sand. He doesn't want something that's too fine and could be compacted, but he doesn't want something that's too large where food can hide and become rotten in the fish tank.

I decided to get the sand and grit from the creek in my backyard.

My wife is the best wife ever and she helps me with all my projects.

And this is the final result. It's a little course as I used a number 12 hardware cloth on the bottom of the sifting box.

1585549043_SandWide.jpg.ffe6cadf3512c31505548a20dc2418fe.jpg

468994173_SandClose.jpg.589edf85200892e09cdb804adcb06124.jpg

• Like 7

For lighting the 1930s Historically Accurate Planted Aquarium I chosen to go with a full spectrum solar solution, that is, sunlight.

This definitely has to potential to cause algae and cloudiness problems (although as noted elsewhere on this Forum, algae and cloudiness are possible even without sunlight).

Right now the sun is at a high angle and only hits the aquarium for an hour or two a day. As the seasons progress the sun's path across the sky will drop towards the horizon and give the tank progressively more hours of sunlight each day until the Winter Solstice. 

Sunlight.jpg.f6686fff4577026a5183294878c46784.jpg

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Daniel said:

And another thing about using sunlight are the glorious caustic lines, that is, the shimmer. To achieve this would normally require very expensive Kessil lights. Or it can be free.

I always liked the shimmer effect in a tank, when I kept reef tanks, I was very reluctant to switch my lighting from metal halide because I didn't want to lose the shimmering effect, but I eventually got rid of them because of the cost of operating them and the replacement bulb costs.

I am not quite ready to stock the 1930s Historically Accurate Planted Aquarium with either fish or plants, but this morning in shifting aquariums around I need a place to stash some juvenile angelfish and some Vallisneria and Sagittaria, so in they went into the aquarium.

Angelfish.jpg.df7587d43720f9a9e2f5759df55641ed.jpg

Cricket has always been a big fan of angelfish, see earlier angelfish tank here

402075625_CricketwithAngelfish.jpg.f6adf9e5fcef24c2abecc5aee11bbe63.jpg

So Cricket too went into the aquarium!

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 3
  • Haha 11

Looking Great! I am loving it! I do enjoy the rippling...My son's tank gets that some days.  

We have a sibling pair of rescue cats, Linus and Lucy.  My husband calls Linus Fail Cat..... He has fallen in a tank more then once and the evidence is always needing clean up....floating plants and/or water everywhere.  This creature was not supposed to be a cat. ><

This is absolutely my favorite thread. Hopefully a nice wall of plants in the back will help soak up that sun and leave your inhabitants in beautiful view out front.  Cheers sir!

I do have one thought.  Modern windows now block out a large portion of UVB and sun rays. Are you concerned at all about any parts of the spectrum missing?  I know that UVB is shown to be very beneficial to plants in photosynthesis and also in the production of certain molecules.  Just thoughts...or maybe the windows are from the 1930s.....

My son't school was built in 1930 and has a greenhouse...I'll sneak a picture if you like from when I went in....with tons of permission.  >< I was helping set up the main building.  It even has a mushroom cellar! Very cool place which since it has the 3rd oldest electric fridge made me think of electricity and the tank. Oh and I know the bottom is slate....stones retain heat so would the addition of the substrate change your temps by much?  So many question.....so little time.

below is the greenhouse...before the adolescent kids and grounds crew started cleaning it up better.  Yes an ramp was installed so that the entire school would be ADA approved  

There is an English garden, wooded area, 2 fountains and a modern swimming pool  

D8FC564E-91E7-401D-839C-FD40A815B7C4.jpeg

23B4201B-B45A-409C-9D23-93D5433506E5.jpeg

3DAC2740-7DBD-4770-BFA9-8BE20AA594A2.jpeg

0BF3B800-9492-4516-808D-128A2A736974.jpeg

E59CF04B-4CBB-42DF-BA94-6F41D991F7A9.jpeg

94508ECA-7CCB-4D4E-BCCE-20D9B13A1C69.jpeg

Edited by Tre
Added photos....I miss schools. ; ;
  • Like 2

On 7/27/2020 at 11:51 AM, Daniel said:

We are about to find out, I think I once heard @Cory say he thought people fed their fish table scraps back in the 1930s. I’ve got a lot of research to do.

might be historically correct but is it politically correct. will peta come banging on my door if i gave my Oscars rinsed off chicken liver chicken gizzards i know if made a stat in fb group saying just that there would be 500ppl that know better than the next all saying I'm crazy gonna kill fish etc. however i ask for advice on ich and get 20 likes and two comments. i too am curious what research you come up with on this if you would look up Oscars food im guessing back then a lot of tanked fish would still be wild or not created yet

• Like 1

In getting ready to formally install the 1930s Historically Accurate Planted Aquarium I am re-reading Innes' 'The Complete Aquarium Book' from the beginning. The first chapter is in on aquarium management and sounds a lot like what we do on this forum.

We help people but try to do so tactfully.

Aquarium-Management.jpg.7dacbca7e3e2b93e956889b3e19f3dc2.jpg

In July a few days after this Forum got off the ground one first posters with a 'stable tank'  with 'normal water parameters' but dying fish mentioned:

22920658_91degress.PNG.c22b0f5a2c34c211a095903f3c2e8415.PNG

That's 91°F!

Hopefully I was tactful when I suggested that the original poster might want to check their heater.

There was never any update so we don't know what happened.

Over the next few days I will review Innes' recommendations for aquarium dimensions and water changes and such and then I will get started with adding plants and fish.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2020 at 6:12 AM, Joseph Ferdenzi said:

Great thread you started, Daniel. If you listen to Aquarist Podcast 15, you will hear that I consider the 1930s to be a Golden Era of the aquarium hobby and why. Your project is very doable and you will have healthy fish and plants. I’ll follow with interest.  Joe Ferdenzi 

Hey, Joe!  Glad to see you made it to the forum and this post.

@Daniel you really are making me want to find and get a metaframe tank up and running.

As a shameless plug, here is the episode of the podcast that Joe is referring to.

• Like 4