1930s historically accurate planted aquarium

Daniel

Just now, quirkylemon103 said:

updates?

also is the felix still on?

No Felix 🙂. I moved the blue spotted sunfish and Gambusia affinis out and moved in Gulf Coast Pygmy Sunfish in. The tank has gone pretty green which is perfect for raising baby pygmy sunfish but not so good for be able to see what is going on with the sunfish.

Pygmy sunfish are just the sort a fish that would have been collected and kept if more exotic tropical fish were not available. But after the pygmy sunfish run their course, the next step will be to move in angelfish, zebras and swordtails and see if I can get the aquarium to look like this:

1930s.png.bfd7326829c8202fb6aa22d74f3baf6d.png

I have got all 3 in holding tanks waiting for the Vallisneria to take off a little more. So far the val has been slow to grow. I might put a little dirt underneath the Vallisneria to see what happens.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, quirkylemon103 said:

i wish i could get my tanks to go green 😞

I know! I can't always make it happen on cue. Even though sunlight you don't always get green water, I am pretty sure with this tank it has to be the sunlight.

Every time I check up on this thread that Better Homes and Gardens cover reminds me of the aquarium in the Principals office at my elementary school. No, it wasn't the 1930's and I don't remember why I was there often enough to grow fond of it. I'd have angels but current knowledge is my 40 breeder isn't big enough.

I am currently reading a book on the history of the hobby in America (the first 100 years). It was fascinating to me that they had paludariums in the 1850's and the first plant used was vallisneria. Saltwater tanks were filled with sea water brought back from the ocean. Since there was no access to sea water they would pour the water back and forth daily with the window open for aeration. I am really interested to see what you do. What is old is new again.

PXL_20201224_054005869.jpg

• Like 3

The angelfish that will go in the 1930s aquarium started breeding yesterday so it might be time to move them into the aquarium. The reason I have held off so far is that the pygmy sunfish I have in there now are currently breeding also. I might wait until I can collect some pygmy sunfish fry before switching to angels.

2 minutes ago, Tom__in_Maryland said:

If you have any of the "early" tetra literature scanned please share pm,  I am working with characins. 

Rosario LaCorte (91 years old) started working with characins in the 1930s and recently authored a very good book called 'An Aquarist Journey' that I highly recommend (I am about half way through it now). He was the first to breed many of the characins now in the hobby.

Rosario has had several interviews with @Randy on the most excellent Aquarist Podcast.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Daniel said:

Rosario LaCorte (91 years old) started working with characins in the 1930s and recently authored a very good book called 'An Aquarist Journey'

Got it!

If you have scan of other tetra literature you can share please let me know I would happily give you a school of 100 tetras if you were on the east coast.

Best Regards,

Tom 

It is time to move the angelfish into the aquarium.

So that also makes it a good time to mess with the substrate. I have been very encouraged by the plant growth in the 'Dirt' aquarium in the dirted tank project. And since adding soil is period appropriate that is what I did this morning (not having access to sheep manure).

image.png.92bb826a63241ccafd156013a5441eb0.png

I removed all of the animals, plants, substrate and water and put in 2" of soil from my garden asparagus bed and put the old substrate (sifted gravel from the creek out back) back in over the soil. I am refilling the aquarium now.

image.png.b3c009bbbc75e3c39081beacfe74284e.png

The only plants I have added back so far are the Vallisneria.

image.png.c8ef739e4081287313fa748c40989643.png

The angelfish, which were dime to quarter sized in this September 16, photo, have now started to pair up and are laying eggs.

image.png.afc894252baebc256641816363c3f527.png

I segregated one of these pairs yesterday and as soon as the aquarium fills up, I will add the pair of angel fish.

• Like 5

@quirkylemon103 Merry Christmas!

I would just start from the beginning. It is a good read and it builds as it goes along.

I would love to hear two things.

• Any thing that surprises you about how much like now aquarium keeping was back in the 1930s
  • Any thing that surprises you about any differences with aquarium keeping back in the 1930s

What wonderful parents you have!

5 hours ago, Daniel said:

@quirkylemon103 Merry Christmas!

I would just start from the beginning. It is a good read and it builds as it goes along.

I would love to hear two things.

• Any thing that surprises you about how much like now aquarium keeping was back in the 1930s
  • Any thing that surprises you about any differences with aquarium keeping back in the 1930s

What wonderful parents you have!

I would love to discuss the difference between back then and now just except it will be a while i read books 2-5 times before I talk about it 

• Like 1

On 12/24/2020 at 8:29 AM, Daniel said:

Rosario LaCorte (91 years old) started working with characins in the 1930s and recently authored a very good book called 'An Aquarist Journey' that I highly recommend (I am about half way through it now). He was the first to breed many of the characins now in the hobby.

Rosario has had several interviews with @Randy on the most excellent Aquarist Podcast.

I just got this book for Christmas today! Already through the first chapter, which is an accomplishment for me, as reading books is not one of my favorite things, I fall to sleep quick just reading.

• Haha 1

On 11/18/2020 at 4:44 PM, Brandy said:

How many gallons is this tank anyway? I was thinking...I remember you did not plan to put in a filter, and I am more and more beginning to believe filtration is largely cosmetic when you cram your tank full of plants like me. I would rather buy more plants and lights.

In saltwater they rely on the beneficial bacteria growing in the live rock in the tank and all the other fancy equipment is water polishing, nitrate/phosphate export, and buffering. I think that given enough time and managed properly, this is the same in freshwater as well. It probably is what ends up happening in tanks filtered with cartridges that are frequently replaced. The plants are the nitrate export, and the beneficial bacteria are all over the glass and decor and gravel.

this has been so much fun catching up on this thread, I always learn so much. I’m constantly telling other people about the cardinal tetras on the Hindenburg now whenever people are getting them at work (I work at my LFS)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Steph’s Fish and Plants said:

In saltwater they rely on the beneficial bacteria growing in the live rock in the tank and all the other fancy equipment is water polishing, nitrate/phosphate export, and buffering. I think that given enough time and managed properly, this is the same in freshwater as well. It probably is what ends up happening in tanks filtered with cartridges that are frequently replaced. The plants are the nitrate export, and the beneficial bacteria are all over the glass and decor and gravel.

this has been so much fun catching up on this thread, I always learn so much. I’m constantly telling other people about the cardinal tetras on the Hindenburg now whenever people are getting them at work (I work at my LFS)

yep that pretty much sums up saltwater filters there are some people who have no filters or have very minimal filters 

someone who has no mechanical is subsea you can search him on reef2reef 

someone who minimal filters is paulB you also find him on reef2reef 

• Like 1

On 12/25/2020 at 10:28 AM, Daniel said:

It is time to move the angelfish into the aquarium.

So that also makes it a good time to mess with the substrate. I have been very encouraged by the plant growth in the 'Dirt' aquarium in the dirted tank project. And since adding soil is period appropriate that is what I did this morning (not having access to sheep manure).

image.png.92bb826a63241ccafd156013a5441eb0.png

I removed all of the animals, plants, substrate and water and put in 2" of soil from my garden asparagus bed and put the old substrate (sifted gravel from the creek out back) back in over the soil. I am refilling the aquarium now.

image.png.b3c009bbbc75e3c39081beacfe74284e.png

The only plants I have added back so far are the Vallisneria.

image.png.c8ef739e4081287313fa748c40989643.png

The angelfish, which were dime to quarter sized in this September 16, photo, have now started to pair up and are laying eggs.

image.png.afc894252baebc256641816363c3f527.png

I segregated one of these pairs yesterday and as soon as the aquarium fills up, I will add the pair of angel fish.

but did you use powdered sheep manure? LOL

• Haha 2