1930s historically accurate planted aquarium

Daniel

On 7/27/2020 at 11:18 PM, Daniel said:

I have an idea. If you can do a geographically accurate biotope aquarium, why can't you do a historically accurate aquarium. Sort of a historotope if I'm allowed one neologism here.

At an estate sale a while back, I acquired a 1930s era aquarium with a metal frame and a slate bottom. This is not one of those stainless steel MetaFrame aquariums everyone (including me) had back in the 1960s and the 1970s. It is clearly something much older.

Everything about the aquarium was in good shape when I got it, and it was watertight. Last year when I was using it to grow mosquito larva outside I forgot to bring it in when it got cold. When ice formed in the tank the expanding ice blew out one of the glass sides.

So, what might the rules be for a historotope?

Rules:

1. You are only allowed to use equipment available during your chosen time period.
  2. You are only allowed to keep fishes that were available during your chosen time period.
  3. You must use historically accurate foods.
  4. You must use historically accurate plants.
  5. You must use historically accurate substrate and decorations.
  6. You must use historically accurate maintenance methods.

Since I have the aquarium (once I get it repaired), my chosen time period will be the mid-1930s in the United States. My first step is to get the tank water tight again. I will post more later as this experiment progresses and your thoughts and suggestions come in.

Im actually quite fascinated by your experiment. Can't wait for the updates and pics.

On 9/17/2021 at 10:51 AM, Eyad Jamus said:

Im actually quite fascinated by your experiment. Can't wait for the updates and pics.

I have been totally absorbed in my honey bee business this fall. When things slow down a little, I will update with some pictures.

• Like 5

On 9/17/2021 at 4:37 PM, Streetwise said:

@Daniel, did you have a different career before beekeeping?

I had company that advised Hospitals on new regulations. No where near as satisfying as beekeeping. The old job paid better, but with Beekeeping I cannot wait to get up in the morning and go to work.

• Like 8
  • Love 3

My grandfather did beekeeping until he physically couldn't do it anymore. I can still remember the smells of his workshop. The combination of the pine from making the beehives (and all his other projects), and the smell of the honeycomb was awesome! I still think of that every time I work with pine in my shop.

Oh and looking forward to tank updates! 🙂

Edited by Griznatch
add more
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I love this idea! I live in a 1922 Craftsman bungalow and now I have a fierce need for a historic aquarium to match!

Edited to add:

And my first 5 minutes of research has already turned up mention of Mr. Innes being invited to speak to the Pennsylvania Fish Culturists' Association in 1922!

image.png.1a72549ac91d050d7aae662876b04994.png

Edited by Cisa
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

On 10/27/2021 at 7:11 AM, CalmedByFish said:

@FlumpweeselThat's very interesting. Do you know when the video was taken? It seems very different from the aquariums I've been to.

That vid looks to be late 80's early 90's . I would love to find the original plans for the place because some things would have been as originally installed I'd hope the water.  It was designed to make you feel like you're in cave so they used stone (before the days of fibreglass) to decorate.  

If I can  find some decent resources on the place I will start a new thread.  

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 10/29/2021 at 2:17 AM, Flumpweesel said:

If I can  find some decent resources on the place I will start a new thread.  

Did you ever find more resources?

On 10/2/2021 at 10:09 PM, Cisa said:

I love this idea! I live in a 1922 Craftsman bungalow and now I have a fierce need for a historic aquarium to match!

Edited to add:

And my first 5 minutes of research has already turned up mention of Mr. Innes being invited to speak to the Pennsylvania Fish Culturists' Association in 1922!

image.png.1a72549ac91d050d7aae662876b04994.png

That would be an amazing opportunity to recreate another time period that we have already been duplicating with the pandemic and global leadership choices. I (personally) would find duplicating aquariums more fulfilling, for the same reason @Daniel left hospital work for beekeeping. 

Daniel, how are the fish responding to the temperature fluctuations of winter?

@Torrey very very little online is been quite frustrating.  Planning on seeing what I can find at local museums and bug the records office at some point.  I want to see the plans and how they treated water. I wonder if at first they piped in sea water directly as it is on the sea front although I could imagine that would lead to a lot of issues.

On 12/26/2021 at 12:40 AM, Flumpweesel said:

@Torrey very very little online is been quite frustrating.  Planning on seeing what I can find at local museums and bug the records office at some point.  I want to see the plans and how they treated water. I wonder if at first they piped in sea water directly as it is on the sea front although I could imagine that would lead to a lot of issues.

FWIW, lots of marine hobbyist use sea water from a mile or so offshore in non-polluted areas for their tanks. It's said to be way better than artificial seawater, although I'm firmly landlocked here in KY and will likely never get to test it.

I'm unsure how bad ocean pollution was in the late 1800's and early 1900's, but I think it's possible they could have pumped water straight from shoreline and used that into tanks. Later on, they may have had issues, depending on pollution in that particular area.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/27/2020 at 7:18 AM, Daniel said:

I have an idea. If you can do a geographically accurate biotope aquarium, why can't you do a historically accurate aquarium. Sort of a historotope if I'm allowed one neologism here.

At an estate sale a while back, I acquired a 1930s era aquarium with a metal frame and a slate bottom. This is not one of those stainless steel MetaFrame aquariums everyone (including me) had back in the 1960s and the 1970s. It is clearly something much older.

Everything about the aquarium was in good shape when I got it, and it was watertight. Last year when I was using it to grow mosquito larva outside I forgot to bring it in when it got cold. When ice formed in the tank the expanding ice blew out one of the glass sides.

So, what might the rules be for a historotope?

Rules:

1. You are only allowed to use equipment available during your chosen time period.
  2. You are only allowed to keep fishes that were available during your chosen time period.
  3. You must use historically accurate foods.
  4. You must use historically accurate plants.
  5. You must use historically accurate substrate and decorations.
  6. You must use historically accurate maintenance methods.

Since I have the aquarium (once I get it repaired), my chosen time period will be the mid-1930s in the United States. My first step is to get the tank water tight again. I will post more later as this experiment progresses and your thoughts and suggestions come in.

Wow! I'M impressed with your dedication! It doesn't sound even remotely doable. I look forward to progress reports and photos.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 2/2/2022 at 2:09 PM, Ophitoxaemia said:

I just realized that the beautiful fish tanks I remember my parents had in the 1960's were only 30 years after this historical tank and a more shocking 50+ years ago from now. I believe their 50 gal had a slate bottom. 

The 10g hand me down tanks I had the early 70's were metal frame slate bottom. When I bought my first tanks in the mid 80's they were glass bottom.

• 5 months later...

Those old bowls are beautiful. I watched a video on YouTube about the Museum of pet history. There were some amazing old tanks and bowls, some in brown, blue or green glass. Some were even bioluminescent! 

As a fan of the 50's I am drawn to the chrome of the metaframe,  which i have learned was created by Mattel for kids. The fish that were most popular were livebearers, angelfish, darters, and several marine type fish. 

Because I believe my tank is 15 gallons, what I add is a bit limited. I really wanted a goldfish, but they are too big and prefer not to be a single specimen. I don't want to add a heater, so guppies are out. I am thinking maybe white clouds would be a good addition. I have a couple male endlers livebearers. If I can get my hands on some females, maybe I could use the resulting babies for the tank! I have time to decide as I haven't set it up yet. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...