1930s historically accurate planted aquarium

Daniel

On 8/7/2020 at 5:04 PM, Daniel said:

I am starting to make basic choices on the 1930s Historically Accurate Planted Aquarium.

• Light will mostly come from a window with supplemental light from a 1930s era standing lamp
  • The aquarium will be supported on a board across a 1930s Singer sewing machine wrought iron base

So the placement will look something like this:

20200807_3296.JPG.63a6116aa966577496d1831bf03d5cbc.JPG

It's hard not to love everything about this picture. When I was first reading about your project, I was not envisioning such a big tank. What a great find. Pairing it with the old singer legs is a stroke of perfection. An old basket or a Martha Washington sewing table might be a good place to store supplies. This is a very dangerous thread for me. I love vintage. I"ve only had a tank for a couple of months but one of the first things I started doing was searching for a vintage tank...most have been out of my price range. Seeing all the vintage aquarium things has my mind turning. 

• Like 1

Even by 1936 Innes was suggesting growing plants as one of the 4 conditions of a successful aquarium.

2128003875_Growingplants1.png.fc8b802efb8000bbe3a1d8e4501b51ff.png

I am starting the aquarium a few years before 1936. There is no local tropical fish store yet so I will have to collect my own plants.

Luckily I live in North Carolina and many of the current plants found in our aquariums today occur in the wetter areas of the central and eastern part of my state. So road trip!

20200929_6242.JPG.09425ce3848579329f3f813165be0684.JPG

I found a ditch just on the Kinston NC city limits located both the highway and Duke Power right of way, so I felt free to collect aquatic plants from the ditch.

20200929_6251.JPG.0cbcf1ddd6e60651e0a58f240b46add0.JPG

The ditch was not a pretty sight.

20200929_6249.JPG.c1429f1eca5a8a95249fc2382263cc36.JPG

But it had good stuff. Bacopa, Ludwigia, Parrot feather and more.

20200929_6248.JPG.bbbbe7f1536313a3c709bf72001bd70c.JPG

The parrot feather was especially nice in places

20201005_6674.JPG.05867aee836c9de314b41233aeb24bde.JPG

It looks like I will have some good plants without a visit to a pet store! So far, so good.

• Like 9

On 7/31/2020 at 11:13 AM, Daniel said:

In 1936 the average doctor made $3300 per year, the average lawyer $4200, a farm hand made on average $220 a year and a secretary just over $1000 a year. So that air pump, filter combination that cost just under $70 might have been affordable to the average doctor as it was merely a week's wages. But something tells me that that farmhand could never afford to keep an aquarium. I think the best comparison is a nice decked out 1936 freshwater aquarium is the equivalent to today's high-end reef tank. Most people then kept goldfish in an unheated, un-aerated box of water. And even a schoolteacher ($1200/yr) or a dressmaker ($780/yr) could afford to keep goldfish.

On the other hand, in 1936 you could buy a set of four tires for your automobile for $6.35 🙂

Dang, yeah I told my dad about this bc hes been pretty supportive of my fish hobby and he was like yeah even back when I was your age it was expensive and it made him get pissed of when a fish died or jumped out, he said how the redtail shark he bought was $15 and back then he was making $1.50 an hour and I was just like wow, idk if when I first got into aquariums that I would spend a days wage on just one fish let alone getting like 10 or 15 like he did, like thatd be $50 today and it honestly got me thinking hmmmm maybe I could turn him into a fish nerd lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Another aquarium plant that I collected in that same ditch as the parrot feather and Ludwigia was Utricularia macrorhiza. It is a relative of the aquarium plant Utricularia graminifolia. Both are bladderworts.

Bladderworts are very cool because they are a carnivorous aquatic plants. They have little bladders with trap doors and it is possible for them to ensnare aquatic insects like Daphnia. Some people think this strategy has evolved because the bladderworts live in such low nitrogen environments any additional nitrogen source is extremely valuable to the plant.

918544031_DetailofUtricularia.jpg.69be2430da0defb09c85156341e18998.jpg

They also have lovely flowers.

Bladderwort.PNG.75c2defbcdf70f55c73e495c37a93efd.PNG

• Like 4

I like it very much. Your experience reminds me very much of when I was boy living in farm country (circa 1965), no pet shops, and I won a goldfish at a local fair, but then got the gravel, plants, and live food from local ditches. I found a 2 gallon jar in the cellar, and the whole thing was powered by sunlight. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, RovingGinger said:

Ah, I love the look of the sunlight coming through! The plants and fish look gorgeous. Is the fern-like stuff the parrot feather (long spindly upwards growth with fern-like arms)?

@Jessica. has set a high bar graphically

So I will do my best to follow in her footsteps in labelling the plants

Labelled-Blue-spot-sunfish-females-2.jpg.ba820155d463010c7972a3edb9ec6c98.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Daniel said:

Here is another clip from the 1934 movie "Dragon Murder Case." In this scene mouthbrooding African cichlids are mentioned. The genus is definitely Tilapia, but I cannot quite catch the species. @Wel-Don Tanks are these from Lake Malawi? I was hoping they would be from Victoria 🙂

Thank you for sharing the clip!  This history was fascinating!

7 hours ago, TooManySnakes said:

Just wanted to say thank you for bringing that gorgeous magazine cover to my attention! Thanks to the magic of the internet I was able to order a very nice copy myself and planning on framing it for display.

I had never heard of that artist until I started researching the golden age of fishkeeping. His name was Arthur Bade. His work spanned from fine art to science fiction.

Car_of_the_Future_1950.jpg.e6db0aa446a4506f28fd34b53f6796c6.jpg

• Like 3

Better Homes & Gardens August 1934 cover depicts pearling, uses same types of gravel, livestock, plants, and even snails!   Love It!

Many of you comment on mineral supplements and ferts.   Better Homes & Gardens is based in Des Moines, Iowa.   The greater area is limestone as base rock, resulting in very hard water.   Most of the area has quite a bit of argile clay, which looks similar to SeaChem Flourite and was used for brick and tile production for decades.   The top soil layers vary, depending on neighborhood.   The areas that were forested have nice humousy loose course compost, the areas that were grass have beautiful top soil (same as the dirted-tank soil), and there are many old river and wetlands areas that have a lot of sand mixed in with the soil.

If you wanted to emulate old-school fish keeping, you would use local-sourced products from wherever you live.   No internet back then for shopping, just local or mail-order.   Costs and time would have been considerably lower to find hardscape and plant material from foraging or buying at local nurseries.   My dad uses driftwood, rocks, and plants from the lagoon by his house, and pea gravel from bulk supply at a nursery garden center.

I enjoy this thread, so much knowledge and experience, and yet new and exciting adventures foraging and searching for materials!

Edited by PopsRage
  • Like 1