On 1/11/2023 at 11:10 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

The Guppybach? It’s on my bucket list! The underwater shots on YouTube look really cool, and it’s surprising how nature can take hold of a place so quickly. For those who’ve never heard of it: it’s a creek located next to a power plant (keeps the water hot enough) filled with guppies, cherry shrimp & Java moss. 😄

A life-size aquarium fit for swimming in? Sign me up! 😍

Also did a double take at the marbles in your tank because I thought they were little beach balls! They look so cool!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I try to do the same journal style as @Guppysnail, (at least an update a day), but I simply have a lack of tanks 😅. Update on the Cory eggs: all went white and fuzzy. Maybe it’s just not meant to be?? To boot, my swordtail female died today…she was pretty heavily pregnant, which is a bit of a pain since I was really looking forward to some fry.🤷‍♂️ C’est la vie! 
On the plus side, today was doggy bath time:

94EF2325-032A-4F3A-A10F-6076612A3263.jpeg

9EDB911E-4F17-474D-8396-5BDC115BB853.jpeg

• Sad 1
  • Love 1

On 1/14/2023 at 6:11 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

I try to do the same journal style as @Guppysnail, (at least an update a day), but I simply have a lack of tanks 😅. Update on the Cory eggs: all went white and fuzzy. Maybe it’s just not meant to be?? To boot, my swordtail female died today…she was pretty heavily pregnant, which is a bit of a pain since I was really looking forward to some fry.🤷‍♂️ C’est la vie! 
On the plus side, today was doggy bath time:

94EF2325-032A-4F3A-A10F-6076612A3263.jpeg

9EDB911E-4F17-474D-8396-5BDC115BB853.jpeg

Ellie ball

65E84C3A-638F-4594-9E94-BD1F3163D3C4.jpeg

• Like 1

Epic skiing day! So much wind, but that makes it all more interesting 😂. The cable car to the top of the “Videmanette” had to stop so many times because of it! Snow was OK, but if you turned the wrong way you got a mouthful of it… 😑. Apart from that Im trying to see if any fellow Nerms are on the pistes: ( @ZenzoA5EA62C6-849F-45BC-ACA9-5DCE65226590.jpeg.b2270ac8c4edcf8c739cfb747b1dfae3.jpeg

76589917-D476-4383-B903-59CD83FF3500.jpeg

3B7E2BC9-2688-4096-9361-F4C0FA5D738C.jpeg

48A8AF0C-C5CB-48E3-9675-B4B26107AE9A.jpeg

F1C54AB7-A665-4A48-8772-99B5C8E3503D.jpeg

D0675B8A-E09C-4B4D-A35C-FCFDC1798845.jpeg

3F9734B8-5F5A-4DBC-8287-A8318EB1BB5D.jpeg

C5A3EDFA-88D1-446E-83B3-64575D277761.jpeg

03B6AB28-DA64-49ED-B649-6390B67A256B.jpeg

• Love 2

Decent development on the swordies (copyright for that term: @TheSwissAquarist!) And here’s an Endler family photo:E20BAD3B-CC03-44F1-B11F-E7E0542E515F.jpeg.51b38537fce419fb54c572435d07eca6.jpeg

Pippa has also learnt that snow sticks to little canine beards 😂:

D8B2E26C-1CE8-4B57-A094-79BC6EECF6DC.jpeg

Also, what do you feed your African Dwarf Frogs @Patrick_G? My mum remarked that they were ‘cute’ in my LFS on Saturday…so I thought I’d try them out if the feeding requirements work. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 1/17/2023 at 8:13 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Also, what do you feed your African Dwarf Frogs @Patrick_G? My mum remarked that they were ‘cute’ in my LFS on Saturday…so I thought I’d try them out if the feeding requirements work. 

We feed frozen blood worms, spirulina frozen brine shrimp, Hikari sinking wafers and the occasional bit of flake food. Some ADF keepers suggest that you not feed blood worms because there is a possibility they’re linked to bloat. They suggest mysis shrimp as an alternative, and we plan on trying that as soon as I can find some locally. 
They like a relatively shallow tank because they periodically need to come up for a breath of air. We currently keep them with just Otocinclus and snails as tank mates, we previously had a Betta with them and have noticed that they are a lot more active since the Betta died. 

On 1/17/2023 at 6:36 PM, Patrick_G said:

We feed frozen blood worms, spirulina frozen brine shrimp, Hikari sinking wafers and the occasional bit of flake food. Some ADF keepers suggest that you not feed blood worms because there is a possibility they’re linked to bloat. They suggest mysis shrimp as an alternative, and we plan on trying that as soon as I can find some locally. 
They like a relatively shallow tank because they periodically need to come up for a breath of air. We currently keep them with just Otocinclus and snails as tank mates, we previously had a Betta with them and have noticed that they are a lot more active since the Betta died. 

Thanks for all the great info! How are the tadpoles doing btw? 

• Like 1

On 1/17/2023 at 9:53 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Thanks for all the great info! How are the tadpoles doing btw? 

Thanks for asking, they’re doing great. About 15 of the first spawn are alive and fully transitioned into frogs. I’ll post a pic in the tadpole journal. 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2023 at 12:48 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Snorkeling must be fun. 😁

yep! Especially if it’s with manatees. Here I am with one just behind me (a calf, aka baby manatee).

BD44EBD2-C697-4CEF-ADE2-4BE55C36F771.jpeg.e03c149a52eac197624b8ad2329af9c5.jpeg

We’ve  got to go to the springs when it’s really cold (air temp) because that’s when they come into the springs from the ocean - to get warm. I usually take a fleece lined dive jacket and a thermos of hot chocolate with me. 

Springs are like 70 degrees year round. It’s still cold (as you can tell from my expression perhaps) because the wet suit makes us buoyant and that cold air- brrr!  Trust me, I’m having fun though. LOL

Best to get there just when the sun is coming up too. That means for me, leaving my house at 3 AM. (But worth it.)

We board a pontoon boat and get to see other wildlife, like cormorants and herons, turtles, etc on the way. Much of the little journey they have to cut the engine. Lots of no wake zones and they’ve got to be careful in case manatees want to surface for air.

Fun fact! On the end of the manatees fins are toenails! Rounded ones just like an elephant. And they are made of ivory. Also! They have little nubs inside their mouths for pulling up grass/seaweed. I have been tickled on my cheek by those nubs before when a manatee came up and snorted in my ear! 

My fellow snorkelers and I call manatees “floating baked potatoes”. 

Diving is not a thing with manatees. We are in their natural habitat where they rest, so bubbles are not permitted. It wakes them and can scare them. Snorkeling only. 🙂 Also where they sleep is roped off to snorkelers so that they can surface to get air.

Everyone must also watch a video and I think we sign a waiver too. It’s basically a video that tells you it’s illegal to harass the manatees. Very important to respect them and their habitat. 

Another calf:

6BEBFD28-73AF-4A79-B64A-40750F8C9B8B.jpeg

When they are with the mom they nurse from a milk gland in the armpit.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Love 2

On 1/17/2023 at 10:52 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Fun name! 🤣 I’d call them “pigs in blankets” or a “sea rhino”.

Those facts have also given me some ideas for next time my family does a quiz night. 😂😈

Shhh! Pippa snores! 😲

DA8A1BBD-0F31-49D7-9446-46DE26240CBA.jpeg

• Haha 1

On 1/17/2023 at 9:41 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Just want to say a big thanks to @Irene for doing another interesting ACO blog post. Fun choice, those mouth brooding bettas! 😁

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/easy-20-gallon-fish-breeding-ideas

Do you take suggestions for blog articles? 

Sure! I'm always open for blog ideas. Just tag me so I'll see it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/17/2023 at 4:52 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

yep! Especially if it’s with manatees. Here I am with one just behind me (a calf, aka baby manatee).

BD44EBD2-C697-4CEF-ADE2-4BE55C36F771.jpeg.e03c149a52eac197624b8ad2329af9c5.jpeg

We’ve  got to go to the springs when it’s really cold (air temp) because that’s when they come into the springs from the ocean - to get warm. I usually take a fleece lined dive jacket and a thermos of hot chocolate with me. 

Springs are like 70 degrees year round. It’s still cold (as you can tell from my expression perhaps) because the wet suit makes us buoyant and that cold air- brrr!  Trust me, I’m having fun though. LOL

Best to get there just when the sun is coming up too. That means for me, leaving my house at 3 AM. (But worth it.)

We board a pontoon boat and get to see other wildlife, like cormorants and herons, turtles, etc on the way. Much of the little journey they have to cut the engine. Lots of no wake zones and they’ve got to be careful in case manatees want to surface for air.

Fun fact! On the end of the manatees fins are toenails! Rounded ones just like an elephant. And they are made of ivory. Also! They have little nubs inside their mouths for pulling up grass/seaweed. I have been tickled on my cheek by those nubs before when a manatee came up and snorted in my ear! 

Diving is not a thing with manatees. We are in their natural habitat where they rest, so bubbles are not permitted. It wakes them and can scare them. Snorkeling only. 🙂 Also where they sleep is roped off to snorkelers so that they can surface to get air.

Everyone must also watch a video and I think we sign a waiver too. It’s basically a video that tells you it’s illegal to harass the manatees. Very important to respect them and their habitat. 

Another calf:

6BEBFD28-73AF-4A79-B64A-40750F8C9B8B.jpeg

When they are with the mom they nurse from a milk gland in the armpit.

Fun fact chessie (the best cryptid by leagues) is though to be a manatee with abnormal markings 

On 1/20/2023 at 2:32 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

When I have algae I just look at other stuff and pretend I didn’t see it.

Wise decision.

On 1/20/2023 at 10:06 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

feel you. In the same boat. Just nasty algae issues on my side too. 😞

Is there any aquarist on this forum who doesn’t have them?!?

• Haha 1

On 1/20/2023 at 9:39 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

does that "flower" come directly from the rhizome?

Yep! 

On 1/21/2023 at 3:57 PM, Aiden Carter said:

What’s algae? Never seen it, nope never

Never seen it - never will! 

So today was a very disheartening day at the LFS. I was deemed superfluous 😢. The shop is sometimes empty during my shift, and when all the tank maintenance is done I’m at a loss of what to do. We’re 2 employees working in the fish ‘department’; so……..yeah. 
Anyway, they were very apologetic about it, and even gave me a free Anubias. 
Ah well. There will be other chances, but rejection always stings.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1