What salt do you use to hatch Brine Shrimp?

Levi_Aquatics

• 6 months later...
On 2/3/2021 at 8:56 PM, Schwack said:

I've used kosher salt in the past, but ended up picking up a pound of sea salt from the bulk section of a local market. They had it for under a dollar a pound. I didn't notice any marked difference in my hatches between the two.

The biggest difference has been swapping to coop brine shrimp. The eggs seem smaller/finer, almost powder-like, and I definitely end up with more casings floating at the top after 24 hours.

I been useing coop brine eggs for about 3 months now and the hatch ratio been lousy, very low, to what I put in

On 8/12/2021 at 5:15 PM, Colu said:

I use aquarium salt

I’m using API aquarium salt. I’m not sure how to judge my hatch ratio, but after 24hrs there’s still a layer of black eggs floating on top. Do you, or anyone, have tips on increasing hatch ratio? 

@Brandysince this thread has been resurrected, I have to take the opportunity to correct myself. Heating the water may indeed make the salt dissolve faster. It just won’t cause more total salt to dissolve. (This realization has been bothering me for months!)

Though in this case I don’t think it matters… I throw my brine shrimp eggs in the hatchery long before all the salt dissolves. 😅

• Haha 1

I haven't hatched Brine shrimp since 1987 so I had to consult a book I've had since 1984 titled "Exotic Tropical Fishes," by Herbert Axelrod and others. The formula I used then is the same I'd use today if I were still breeding and raising Betta's, Gourami's, and Paradise fish.

FOR HATCHING: You can buy large empty pickle jars at Wally World that are perfect for this purpose and these jars are what the tropical fish farms in Florida use. 

Measure out 6 heaped tablespoons of API Aquarium salt into the jar an add to it a gallon of tap water, stir to dissolve, sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of Brine shrimp eggs on top, keep away from strong light. If you can get 2 gallons of water into one of these jars, double the ingredients. The eggs will hatch in about 24 hours at 70 degrees or more.

San Francisco eggs can be hatched with or without aeration, but Utah eggs will give you a higher yield with aeration, I don't remember where the Brine shrimp eggs I used came from, but I always used aeration and I got a good yield.

TO HARVEST: I would remove the aeration, place a flashlight on books so that it shone high up in the water column, use a medicine dropper to siphon up some of the babies, remove the flashlight, returned the aeration, place a Brine shrimp net over the jar, squirt the babies into the Brine shrimp net so the water goes back into the jar, rinse the babies off under running water, and feed them to my fish.

If you're trying to breed and raise Betta's, Gourami's, or Paradise fish, keep a good magnifying glass nearby when you feed them. The babies of these fish are so small that you'll need the magnifying glass to see what they're eating. If their bellies are white, they're eating the infusoria you've been feeding them, and if their bellies are pink, they're eating the Brine shrimp. It's best to feed them both foods for about a week after they hatch before going over to baby Brine shrimp only.

FOR GROWING TO ADULTHOOD: Measure out 10 to 12 ounces of API Aquarium salt, 2 heaped tablespoons of Epsom salts, 1 tablespoon of Baking soda, and add a gallon of tap water, stir to dissolve, this is twice the strength of sea water and much more alkaline. Add to this two packets of Bakers yeast and stir to dissolve.    

Use your medicine dropper to siphon up a couple of hundred of the baby Brine shrimp to add to this, aeration is not necessary, cover the jar to cut down on evaporation, when the water clears, add two more packets of Baker's yeast. The shrimp reach maturity in about 6 weeks, sooner if kept really warm, and they will feed on yeast their whole lives, but they eat algae in the wild.

If you're trying to breed and raise Betta's, pick up a couple of cases of one pint Mason jars, you'll need them to separate the male.

Good luck.

Sincerely 

Gator

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 2/4/2021 at 9:17 PM, Hobbit said:

I use Sea salt from the grocery store. 

@Brandy as a fellow science nerm I regret to inform you that the solubility of NaCl hardly increases with temperature. 😉 Heat might help the other minerals but it won’t help the salt dissolve.

https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/content/dam/sigma-aldrich/docs/Sigma-Aldrich/Product_Information_Sheet/s7653pis.pdf

https://www.sciencefocus.com/science/why-is-hot-water-a-better-solvent-than-cold-water/