What salt do you use to hatch Brine Shrimp?

Levi_Aquatics

I've used kosher salt in the past, but ended up picking up a pound of sea salt from the bulk section of a local market. They had it for under a dollar a pound. I didn't notice any marked difference in my hatches between the two.

The biggest difference has been swapping to coop brine shrimp. The eggs seem smaller/finer, almost powder-like, and I definitely end up with more casings floating at the top after 24 hours.

• Like 1

Just now, Schwack said:

I've used kosher salt in the past, but ended up picking up a pound of sea salt from the bulk section of a local market. They had it for under a dollar a pound. I didn't notice any marked difference in my hatches between the two.

The biggest difference has been swapping to coop brine shrimp. The eggs seem smaller/finer, almost powder-like, and I definitely end up with more casings floating at the top after 24 hours.

I just switched to the Co-op's brine shrimp eggs to! I Also noticed a much greater hatch rate.

I have used pickling salt, API, and Fritz. Can't say there was a large difference, but I want to say the Fritz edged out as the winner. However, I already had the pickling salt leftover from my canning hobby (mostly just a phase,) so I try to stick with that since there are only small differences.

• Like 1

Glad to see this thread, I've been using old aquarium salt someone gave me and baking soda, would rather have all in one with a finer crystal when I go to replace.

My only failures seem to be when I overheat the water to get the salt to dissolve and then pitch the eggs too soon--because I am too impatient! I always worry I will cook them by accident.

• Like 3

I use the same salt @Streetwise uses. I don't think salt matters much for hatch rate (but I couldn't prove it). The reason I use I Instant Ocean Reef Crystals is because the hatching water goes into my aquariums along the baby brine shrimp, so I wanted a salt that contained more than just NaCl.

• Like 2

I use solar naturals rock salt,  tried with Fritz but didn't notice an improvement so I went back to the rock salt.

Though to note, my tap water is at 450ish TDS and around 7.5 ph, so it might just be I didn't need the extra minerals from the fritz salt.

Edited by MattyIce
  • Like 1

I use Sea salt from the grocery store. 

@Brandy as a fellow science nerm I regret to inform you that the solubility of NaCl hardly increases with temperature. 😉 Heat might help the other minerals but it won’t help the salt dissolve.

https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/content/dam/sigma-aldrich/docs/Sigma-Aldrich/Product_Information_Sheet/s7653pis.pdf

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Hobbit said:

I use Sea salt from the grocery store. 

@Brandy as a fellow science nerm I regret to inform you that the solubility of NaCl hardly increases with temperature. 😉 Heat might help the other minerals but it won’t help the salt dissolve.

https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/content/dam/sigma-aldrich/docs/Sigma-Aldrich/Product_Information_Sheet/s7653pis.pdf

Haha, counting down with the microwave totally speeds it up too, doncha know?! Have I mentioned that I'm a touch impatient?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I use the instant ocean reef crystals, because I have it around for my saltwater tank. Although, I had got in on a group buy a couple years ago and bought a few buckets, but now that I only have one 20 gallon saltwater tank, I don't need as much, so when I'm through with the last bucket I'll probably switch to using the solar crystals water softener salt. and just buy a smaller package of reef crystals to mix saltwater with. 

• Like 2