What did you get done today?

Cory

On 1/5/2023 at 4:47 PM, JJenna said:

I learned how to upload a video onto YouTube! It's a WIP, but baby steps to begin. I caught Goldy mountain climbing today and saw his other side. I call it his other side because there is no missing this! He's been hiding a secret and now it's so big I don't think anything can be done to fix this big hole in his shell. 

Goldys Crack.jpg

I’ve also seen different methods of snail shell repair reported to be successful so I think it’s worth trying. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 1/7/2023 at 9:46 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

@Guppysnail has a nerite that was bit? The bite occurred before she got him. He was tossed into her bag when she bought other snails. His shell was cracked just about in half. She kept clean good quality water for him. That’s all she did, and he’s doing well.

Ziggy. 6 months and going strong. Has a girlfriend who enjoys bedazzling him when they all wear off. 

B3FA6545-ABE7-4BE3-BFEF-A317C5DE188D.jpeg

8809130D-3771-4E8C-8E07-4E0B2202010E.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

@Chick-In-Of-TheSeaand everyone else...I did shell repair surgery on Goldy and he came through with flying colors. He's back in the tank and cruising around all in under 15 min. Hope he takes a break from the girls tonight.

I was really worried that I was going to glue him inside his shell. The chip extended to the edge of his shell. Luckily, there was enough shell at the bottom of the whorl to attach the eggshell. 

Thanks to everyone for the help. 

Sir Edmund Hillary.jpg

Armour glued 2.jpg

SAH in tank.jpg

SAH emerging.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 3

On 1/7/2023 at 4:00 PM, JJenna said:

@Chick-In-Of-TheSeaand everyone else...I did shell repair surgery on Goldy and he came through with flying colors. He's back in the tank and cruising around all in under 15 min. Hope he takes a break from the girls tonight.

I was really worried that I was going to glue him inside his shell. The chip extended to the edge of his shell. Luckily, there was enough shell at the bottom of the whorl to attach the eggshell. 

Thanks to everyone for the help. 

Sir Edmund Hillary.jpg

Armour glued 2.jpg

SAH in tank.jpg

SAH emerging.jpg

That is wonderful @JJenna. Thank you for sharing your results. That snail injury was very bad. I’m sure you have extended his life by helping him like this.

• Like 1

Did the usual water change on the 40B; this time i took a few pictures. The tank has some issue with tall plants in front and too many smaller plants being starved for light. I thought about doing a massive adjustment but decided to wait till i move in the spring since the tank has to be torn down then.  There was someone in the forum thta suggested you should always stir up your substrate a bit but i just don't see how i can do that in this aquarium. I mean there isn't much open substrate.... Maybe if i use a tooth pick?

First picture front before water change:

43.jpg.0341cc0d886eaa530549d8d0975c0a8c.jpg

Top before water change:

42.jpg.63b6191492df28033f602c5571a2c570.jpg

Water drained from tank and after I did my usual pruning - it can show you just how dense the plants are:

41.jpg.0a29ed1b001eef2b4980be406e3c9d53.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 5

On 1/7/2023 at 3:28 PM, Guppysnail said:

Ziggy. 6 months and going strong. Has a girlfriend who enjoys bedazzling him when they all wear off. 

8809130D-3771-4E8C-8E07-4E0B2202010E.jpeg

Wow, those photos are hard to look at without feeling fear on his behalf. I am so glad to know he is trucking along--this will be reassuring if I ever see a snail with shell damage. So scary and I can't imagine what he went through!

• Like 2

On 1/8/2023 at 6:56 PM, JJenna said:

This is really interesting. Did you glue the roots to the quartz? 

Yes! I usually try and use pebbles but I'm out of ones I know are tank safe so I improvised lol. Besides almost glueing one of the plants to my hand it worked great! 

• Haha 3

On 1/10/2023 at 2:09 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

I recognize the stand. Looks awesome!  I am sure I've seen it before and you have a tank underneath this one!

What species are in this tank for livestock? 

(Just a note, all that anubias looks insanely awesome and is doing well)

Yep. This is the shrimp tank. Guaranteed they are all up in that water sprite. That’s their favorite hangout. Some snails are in the tank too. 

The betta tank is under this one.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

Today I learned that a plant I thought was sagittaria is actually thin valisneria! 

I did one water change, put ferts in 4 tanks, and cleaned up the plants in my kitchen tank, i.e. removed half the frogbit, the out-of-bounds valisneria, trimmed one of my stem plants, and cut old/spotted leaves off my java ferns. 

Really enjoyed watching my tanks; I'm learning to love the less-populated look, but see one suspiciously square-looking blue platy that suggests a repopulation may happen without my permission.

• Like 2

On 1/14/2023 at 12:09 PM, PineSong said:

Today I learned that a plant I thought was sagittaria is actually thin valisneria! 

I did one water change, put ferts in 4 tanks, and cleaned up the plants in my kitchen tank, i.e. removed half the frogbit, the out-of-bounds valisneria, trimmed one of my stem plants, and cut old/spotted leaves off my java ferns. 

Really enjoyed watching my tanks; I'm learning to love the less-populated look, but see one suspiciously square-looking blue platy that suggests a repopulation may happen without my permission.

Picture? I actually have some 'dwarf sag' that has grown nearly 14 inches high; but it doesn't look much like italia val (which is one of the common narrow leaf vals).

On 1/13/2023 at 7:27 PM, mountaintoppufferkeeper said:

The magazine frame arrived up here.... So I framed the amazonas article. Final placement to be determined.

20230113_180830.thumb.jpg.21962af13575ba0f59593709a42da53c.jpg

How is it I’m so crazy proud of a guy I’ve never even met?  😆 It’s like I feel like we all added a tiny bit to your success even though all the hard work was completely you!  It’s an honor even to have watched your journey from afar!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@Odd Duck thank you kindly 😁.Had I not been here on the forum  I wouldnt have even realized I might have a worthy contribution to the magazine. Id say we all can claim a portion of this one.

The advice here and tips and tricks we all share make raising fish possible. Thats why the first people I showed that to are you and the rest of the forum fishfam.  

• Love 2