What did you get done today?

Cory

On 2/19/2023 at 11:31 AM, Tanked said:

In the last 5 hours of my day:

• I smoked a pound of bacon
  • threw away the pot of mushroom soup I was making
  • reset/cancelled the alarm system 6 times🤯
  • explained to my neighbors why there was a fire engine in front of my house.
  • Cussed out the alarm company for sending the fire dept. after I told them there was no fire🤬
  • explained to the police officer that I never called them. and there was no fire
  • almost burnt the back up pizza
  • did a 50% water change on the 29
  • accidently turned a top off on the 65 gal. into a water change when the power cord on the water pump came loose, flooding the dining room while I was checking the pizza.
  • watched a really lousy movie
  • surrendered and went to bed

Best thing about a day like this: It’ll be a great story in about a week or so once the aggravation and frustration is out of your system.  At least you didn’t ruin the back up pizza.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Moved some ludwigia (which always seems to be uprooted and floating) into the betta tank to give the fellow a little more decor.

Gave root tabs to the sword, lily and crypt.

P.S. Came home later and found out the betta had made a bubble nest so I think he’s happy about the ludwigia.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

On 2/21/2023 at 9:04 AM, Theplatymaster said:

today i introduced a pair of platies to my 2gallon tank for some color breeding:

Screenshot_2023-02-21_07-43-29.png.a2481c00c89796645331aa07cce2aed7.png

Best of luck!! Loving my two-week-old platies!!!

On 2/21/2023 at 1:48 AM, Ninjoma said:

I got a few flagfish to help with algae. Then I took this photo of two snails sitting on a leaf:20230220_192220.jpg.d97a8a75ad8decfb9217960df9a7ca5c.jpg

Freeloaders!!! Love the tank!!!

• Thanks 1

On 2/5/2023 at 11:18 PM, Ninjoma said:

I had a bit of a tragic day today. I woke up to most of my shrimp dead in my 10g. My parameters looked normal and there was no copper in the water either, so my best guess is there was something toxic to shrimp on one of the plants or driftwood I added to the tank yesterday. I was able to get a new colony of cherry shrimp at my LFS and the silver lining is I get the chance to do a better job culling this time around.

For good news, I'm really liking how my 29g is looking after I did some trimming today. I recently swapped out the scarlet temple for rotala, and I think it's my new favorite red plant. image.jpeg.2ce2b342318ea3670c65ed512c0d9fdf.jpeg

Sorry to hear that! Thankful you are able to find the bright side of it! Your 29 is looking fantastic!! 

On 2/21/2023 at 7:29 PM, Theplatymaster said:

i can rant about this, but in my opinion platies are the BEST aquarium fish there is.

I can already see what you mean! 

• Thanks 1

On 2/21/2023 at 7:31 PM, Dtolb15 said:

I can already see what you mean! 

okay hear me out

• small
  • peaceful
  • come in most colors
  • easy to breed
  • active
  • personable
  • cheap
  • easy to find
  • eats some hair algae
  • could swim through a nuclear waste pool unscathed
  • insane compatibility

should i continue?

Edited by Theplatymaster
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

On 2/21/2023 at 7:33 PM, Theplatymaster said:

okay hear me out

• small
  • peaceful
  • come in most colors
  • easy to breed
  • active
  • personable
  • cheap
  • easy to find
  • eats some hair algae
  • could swim through a nuclear waste pool unscathed
  • insane compatibility

should i continue?

And pudgy! I love a pudgy fish!

Childhood/Young Adult hobbyist returning to the hobby years later. Set up my first tank in a long time last week and doing my daily maintenance until it cycles. Found out my newly added guppies are surprise, surprise pregnant, so today I will begin setup of my holding tank. 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 2/22/2023 at 3:34 PM, anewbie said:

Please don't take this wrong but sadly you are mistaken.

i am taking it the wrong way, you dont understand what im saying.

I said "in my opinion"

what my opinion is cannot be mistaken, its MY opinion.

But dont take this personally, you are ignoring a vital word, and its bothering me.

if i said "platies are the best fish"

you could disagree

but you really cant disagree with what my opinion is.

(im not trying to sound angry, im just standing my point, based on yours) (please dont flag)

On 2/22/2023 at 2:38 PM, Theplatymaster said:

i am taking it the wrong way, you dont understand what im saying.

I said "in my opinion"

what my opinion is cannot be mistaken, its MY opinion.

But dont take this personally, you are ignoring a vital word, and its bothering me.

if i said "platies are the best fish"

you could disagree

but you really cant disagree with what my opinion is.

(im not trying to sound angry, im just standing my point, based on yours) (please dont flag)

Well lots of people have opinions. Some thing the earth is a square; other think the earth is the center of the Universe; still more think there are fishes on the moon - and all i can do is say all these people are mistaken. However they are all entitled to their opinions.

On 2/22/2023 at 3:53 PM, anewbie said:

Well lots of people have opinions. Some thing the earth is a square; other think the earth is the center of the Universe; still more think there are fishes on the moon - and all i can do is say all these people are mistaken. However they are all entitled to their opinions.

its a matter of wording, as i said.

If i said "the world is flat"

you could say im wrong.

but i said "my opinion is x"

you cant say "you're wrong"

because how can you change my opinion?

On 2/22/2023 at 2:55 PM, Theplatymaster said:

i

because how can you change my opinion?

This is a point i would like to address; it would be a problem if presented sufficient information ones opinion could not be changed; but i suppose there are still those few who insist the earth is flat and if you walk far enough you will fall off and that is just the way it is - you can't hold discussion with certain people who have inflexible view of things. 

On 2/23/2023 at 8:52 AM, anewbie said:

This is a point i would like to address; it would be a problem if presented sufficient information ones opinion could not be changed; but i suppose there are still those few who insist the earth is flat and if you walk far enough you will fall off and that is just the way it is - you can't hold discussion with certain people who have inflexible view of things. 

yes, stiff necked stubborn people are annoying.

I will rephrase my point; "I have not yet seen a better fish then platies (in my opinion) and until i do, they are my favorite fish"

also we really shouldnt spam this thread with such a unneccsary arguement.

• Like 1

Tended to my floaters that look to be almost out of space. Fished out possible duckweed. Found the spangles are out competing the red root floaters for surface area so I rescued as many of the red roots as I could find. Need to come up with a solution for them they’re rough shape now. 8A06C639-0569-4E78-AC4D-EE721AFC9D72.jpeg.2834da1696e52d673031e9f13060b87b.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Not really something I did vs. something I witnessed for the first time.  I lifted the lid on my angel tank to feed and an Amano shrimp was hanging out on top of the red root floaters!  There are plenty of plants and my twisty wood “roots”, ceramic caves, rock crevices, etc, where it could hide.  And it just kind of stood/half laid there, grabbing at the unknown bits like they do.  It’s a well grown shrimp and I don’t think it would need to hide from the angels much.  But on top of the floaters?  Really?  😆 😂 🤣 

8F4A150F-6B09-4BDC-80B7-129CA6BFB30C.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 2/25/2023 at 12:16 PM, Odd Duck said:

Not really something I did vs. something I witnessed for the first time.  I lifted the lid on my angel tank to feed and an Amano shrimp was hanging out on top of the red root floaters!  There are plenty of plants and my twisty wood “roots”, ceramic caves, rock crevices, etc, where it could hide.  And it just kind of stood/half laid there, grabbing at the unknown bits like they do.  It’s a well grown shrimp and I don’t think it would need to hide from the angels much.  But on top of the floaters?  Really?  😆 😂 🤣 

8F4A150F-6B09-4BDC-80B7-129CA6BFB30C.jpeg

My baby pleco(s) do that - probably because there is a little algae up there and the larger fishes can snack on em.... while they are up there.

On 2/25/2023 at 4:22 PM, anewbie said:

My baby pleco(s) do that - probably because there is a little algae up there and the larger fishes can snack on em.... while they are up there.

It startled me a bit initially because it jerked when I opened the lid.  😆 

• Haha 1

I had a great tank weekend this weekend--did the usual water changes and ferts,  and finally planted my latest Co-op plants in my shrimp tank: crypt lucens (new to me) and water sprite (I've tried and failed before, can't admit defeat). 

I drained half the water out of my tub pond outside--I'll be getting it ready in the next few weeks for white clouds to go out in April, guppies in May.

I sat and stared into my 29 for quite some time just enjoying, checking for gonopodiums and overall health and was glad to see that my red shrimp are rebounding now that the angelfish is out. They are giant and super red, so it doesn't seem the weeks of hiding did them any harm. 

Also, some of the juvenile platies in the 29 have developed really awesome coloring and I'm excited that I can continue the blue strain for another generation.

Definitely an "I love this hobby" weekend.

• Like 1
  • Love 2