What did you get done today?

Cory

This morning I said my goodbyes to Tenzing (formerly known as Goldy). Was sad to see him hanging out of his shell this morning on top of the sponge filter. He was a fearless snail who survived shell repair for several weeks. His hobbies were climbing everything in the tank, hence the rename to Tenzing, the first Sherpa to reach the top of Mount Everest. When he wasn't climbing he enjoyed frolicking with the gals (and probably the males as well, haven't learned how to sex them yet). Here is a recent photo of one of his conquests. On a good note, I also discovered another snail clutch this morning when retrieving Tenzing, perhaps it is one of his progeny. 

Goldy.jpg

• Sad 13

Tank maintenance.

Can we please have a moment of silence for my pond pump, which sucked its last drop today? 😢

F72DA847-BE5F-45E6-B204-C286046B173B.jpeg.ffe42764a888ea8ecfaf83fc16b4811a.jpeg

Also I have a few words to say.

Dirty water, going out. You’ve handled that well, without a doubt.

Clean water, going in, traversing 2 rooms and over the rim.

You fit perfectly with a Python hose so I wouldn’t drop a bucket onto my toes.

For many years, you’ve serviced my tanks, for that I offer my heartfelt thanks.

RIP Eco 185.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

Tank maintenance and first purchase of frozen blood worm and frozen bbs. It’s going to take some technique as none of my Cardinal tetras seemed to know what to do with them, but the Betta were thrilled. Think I’ll save Blood worms for the Sunday “after water change” treat and the bbs for mid week treat. No one can accuse me of not giving my fish variety! I give 1) bug bites flake food, 2) bug bites pellets, 3) Repashy community plus, 4) Repashy Soilent Green, 5) Vibrabites, 6) Xtreme Nano Pellets. 7) Freeze dried Daphnia, 8.) Sera sinking wafers (Corys and Oto’s) and now Frozen Blood Worms and Frozen BBS! 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 1/29/2023 at 11:38 AM, FLFishChik said:

Tank maintenance and first purchase of frozen blood worm and frozen bbs. It’s going to take some technique as none of my Cardinal tetras seemed to know what to do with them, but the Betta were thrilled. Think I’ll save Blood worms for the Sunday “after water change” treat and the bbs for mid week treat. No one can accuse me of not giving my fish variety! I give 1) bug bites flake food, 2) bug bites pellets, 3) Repashy community plus, 4) Repashy Soilent Green, 5) Vibrabites, 6) Xtreme Nano Pellets. 7) Freeze dried Daphnia, 8.) Sera sinking wafers (Corys and Oto’s) and now Frozen Blood Worms and Frozen BBS! 

While bbs is great in general blood worm is not that great for more species - too fatty and can carry disease.

On 1/29/2023 at 12:38 PM, FLFishChik said:

I take a ramekin and put the frozen cube in, then I use the pipette to put tank water over the cube. This thaws it right away. Then I pour a little of the food into the tank, wait for them to eat it, then pour in more. When they lose interest or start spitting it out, I know they are full. I can then use the pipette to put the leftover food/tank water (if any) into the frozen cube tray to refreeze into a new cube.

I give my betta 4 or 5 bloodworms with the aquascaping tongs. Sometimes I drag it through the water and he chases it down. Staves off boredom and gives him intent and purpose.

I also do a good rotation so they get the proper nutrition.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Over the weekend, my three week old planted vase tested 0-0 for ammonia and nitrites, and low in nitrates, which means it's now cycled. Last night I drip acclimated and added a tiny Amano shrimp to the vase and it promptly disappeared. Today I found and took these pictures of the little shrimp, alive and well and cleaning up the place.

1839396636_IMG_5550(1).jpeg.f502ab3f0e75c075c59bd52988107233.jpeg1894743895_IMG_5549(1).jpeg.39e61ebba66109f3863da7d6e2905011.jpeg

• Like 5

On 1/30/2023 at 8:47 PM, Schuyler said:

I went to check on the fish I traded in to the LFS. Turns out a pair of them already sold since Saturday.

This is my first time bringing any in. A bit of a weird feeling like a friend is fish sitting...

I would 100% buy the fish if I was browsing the store and the breeder cared enough to be checking up on them after they dropped them off.  Unless it was like an arowana or something.

Did they still recognize you?

• Like 2

On 1/31/2023 at 11:10 AM, jwcarlson said:

I would 100% buy the fish if I was browsing the store and the breeder cared enough to be checking up on them after they dropped them off.  Unless it was like an arowana or something.

Did they still recognize you?

Maybe he did, he definitely wasn't shy about me standing there

• Like 1

Put these together from trimmings today. The taller vase has several ludwigia repens stems, the little mason jar has a bacopa caroliniana stem. I'd like to see them grow over the tops. 

IMG20230203151642.jpg.324b7f27d4d58b488a1970af1adebb71.jpg

First the flow from my new pump was too strong, then the past couple weeks it has been getting slower, near no flow by the end of a week. I figured out the sponges are getting clogged due to the high flow and I haven't been cleaning them enough! I may need to get some course sponges. 

IMG20230203131920.jpg.accec2cf43a315b7080ccc1f20ac97ef.jpg

• Like 4

I did water changes and my liquid ferts, planted some tops that had been floating for a week, and relocated the dominant male swordtail from my 20g tall to the "time out" tank due to his constant harassment of the other males.

Hoping a week or so without him around will allow the other males to relax and maybe the two of them who aren't growing swords yet will start?

I am new to swordtails and unsure how bullying they are to each other when there are no females in the tank.

On 2/5/2023 at 8:02 AM, PineSong said:

I did water changes and my liquid ferts, planted some tops that had been floating for a week, and relocated the dominant male swordtail from my 20g tall to the "time out" tank due to his constant harassment of the other males.

Hoping a week or so without him around will allow the other males to relax and maybe the two of them who aren't growing swords yet will start?

I am new to swordtails and unsure how bullying they are to each other when there are no females in the tank.

I could only keep 1 male in my 29.

Today, I moved my oldest Betta to hospital tank to treat fin rot. Did a 90% water change in his home tank, rescaped it, moved a few pants in/out, gave him more swim room, checked his cave for any sharp edges I may have missed originally or that may have developed over time. Did 20% water changes on the 29g, 10g and the other 5g. Gave the Sunday “after maintenance” bloodworm treat to all but the sick Betta. Sitting back, sipping my cuppa joe and enjoying mah fishezzzz.

Edited by FLFishChik
  • Like 3

On 2/5/2023 at 9:59 AM, anewbie said:

I could only keep 1 male in my 29.

That's what I am afraid of. The little devil has been out of the 20 for several hours and the whole tank is behaving differently; it's like I destabilized the pecking order not only of the swordtail males but the male platies--the most mature/dominant male platy also started chasing other males around.

I have two male swords that I would like to keep and use as breeders in my pond this summer, so I guess one of them will have to stay in "time out" until it's time for the 110 gallon pond.

On 2/5/2023 at 2:49 PM, PineSong said:

That's what I am afraid of. The little devil has been out of the 20 for several hours and the whole tank is behaving differently; it's like I destabilized the pecking order not only of the swordtail males but the male platies--the most mature/dominant male platy also started chasing other males around.

I have two male swords that I would like to keep and use as breeders in my pond this summer, so I guess one of them will have to stay in "time out" until it's time for the 110 gallon pond.

In all honesty a 20 is pretty small for sword tails much less sword tails + platy. I originally had my swordtails in a 40B but they got moved to a 29 when i moved and left the 40B behind - well not strictly true - i put them in the 120 for a while but then moved them to the 29.... I think when i moved i'll put the 40 I have now in the basement and put the swordtails there with the guppies. All the other aquariums will be going soft so they will just have to make due there 😉

On 2/5/2023 at 3:55 PM, anewbie said:

In all honesty a 20 is pretty small for sword tails much less sword tails + platy. I originally had my swordtails in a 40B but they got moved to a 29 when i moved and left the 40B behind - well not strictly true - i put them in the 120 for a while but then moved them to the 29.... I think when i moved i'll put the 40 I have now in the basement and put the swordtails there with the guppies. All the other aquariums will be going soft so they will just have to make due there 😉

Yes, I originally bought them for the pond and when fall came I sold or rehomed the adults and put the fry in my 29. As fry matured into males, I kept four to see which I might like to keep as breeders, but I put them in the 20g to make sure they weren't breeding yet. None of them are full sized. I do hope to keep two of them even when they are full sized, but if they can't be together even in the 29, one of them will have to go. No room for a larger tank 😞

Should have bought a house with longer walls!

• Like 1

On 2/5/2023 at 5:12 PM, PineSong said:

Yes, I originally bought them for the pond and when fall came I sold or rehomed the adults and put the fry in my 29. As fry matured into males, I kept four to see which I might like to keep as breeders, but I put them in the 20g to make sure they weren't breeding yet. None of them are full sized. I do hope to keep two of them even when they are full sized, but if they can't be together even in the 29, one of them will have to go. No room for a larger tank 😞

Should have bought a house with longer walls!

Yea long walls are great - when i move my long wall will get a 10ft aquarium. Wish it was longer 😉

• Like 2