What did you get done today?

Cory

I had a bit of a tragic day today. I woke up to most of my shrimp dead in my 10g. My parameters looked normal and there was no copper in the water either, so my best guess is there was something toxic to shrimp on one of the plants or driftwood I added to the tank yesterday. I was able to get a new colony of cherry shrimp at my LFS and the silver lining is I get the chance to do a better job culling this time around.

For good news, I'm really liking how my 29g is looking after I did some trimming today. I recently swapped out the scarlet temple for rotala, and I think it's my new favorite red plant. image.jpeg.2ce2b342318ea3670c65ed512c0d9fdf.jpeg

• Sad 5

On 2/5/2023 at 8:18 PM, Ninjoma said:

had a bit of a tragic day today. I woke up to most of my shrimp dead in my 10g. My parameters looked normal and there was no copper in the water either, so my best guess is there was something toxic to shrimp on one of the plants or driftwood I added to the tank yesterday. I was able to get a new colony of cherry shrimp at my LFS and the silver lining is I get the chance to do a better job culling this time around.

For good news, I'm really liking how my 29g is looking after I did some trimming today. I recently swapped out the scarlet temple for rotala, and I think it's my new favorite red plant. 

very sorry about your loss.  If you want to make a thread in the diseases section maybe we can try to offer some advice about what happened. 

(Would need to know the KH, GH, PH, volume of water change, type of shrimp involved, etc.)

Adding some wood / rocks for the shrimp to graze on might be helpful, but yeah.... very sorry for your losses.  It's never easy.

On 2/5/2023 at 9:47 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

very sorry about your loss.  If you want to make a thread in the diseases section maybe we can try to offer some advice about what happened. 

(Would need to know the KH, GH, PH, volume of water change, type of shrimp involved, etc.)

Adding some wood / rocks for the shrimp to graze on might be helpful, but yeah.... very sorry for your losses.  It's never easy.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did consider making this post, but I'm currently satisfied with my own analysis. I may ask for help, if I continue to have issues. 

• Like 1

It was a..... Difficult day today.

I woke up and I was motivated. I checked on the fry in QT and went ahead and did a water change. I am still trying to pace out and determine water changes for that tank. I try to space things so that I have a schedule, but so that I have a method for the sake of trying to keep up with and be able to record data.

I have one tank on Sunday, one on Wednesday. I have opted to perform water changes one day, dose in things on the next as well.

Anyways, I woke up motivated and I sat and watched the fish. I made coffee, tossed in food wafers and just watched. I saw the clown pleco pop out and get some food and the mass off corydoras go and do their thing. It was good to see them all excited for food. It's a new one, but they responded well to it, finally.

I tried to find a notebook to record some test results. I'm not sure where I put them, but I found something for the time being. Life things happened and I was just unmotivated and frustrated. All that I could think about was that earlier moment in the morning and how thankful that I was to have those few minutes watching the fish and feeling positive and happy. I thought about fishkeeping and how those little breaths away from stress can be useful to get through hard days.

It's hard to explain that feeling when you hear a new hobbyist is dejected. It's difficult to ensure them that eventually they will find balance and will find out how serene maintenance can be.

Test results for the tank were good. Phosphate was back down, PH and everything seemed fine. Everything seems to be doing good in the tanks and I can't ask for more. I'm excited for the next adventure.

• Like 4

I conducted a severe thin of my watersprite in my endler tank. Oh my, there are so many babies of different sizes, Did a deep vacuuming of the gravel and a major water change in the process. Dropped a pair of nickel sized mystery snails to help with glass maintenance,

In my black and white tank, I did a 20% water change

• Like 2

I'm not doing anything useful today - my worthless annoying crypt flowered again. To put scale on those plants - i have a fish that is 1 inch high and 2 1/2 inches long hide 100% under the leaves - little sneaker - never know if she is there waiting to bite me or not.

cf.jpg.8e1672643140cb5e0278e9861e371673.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Love 2

Set up a quarantine tub for a sick female black phantom tetra. She has some weird white growth and black lumps on her side. I treated her with a Maracyn / IchX combo and the white fuzz got better but it's back. She's a bit mutant - a little oddly formed and small but is eating well and seems to be holding her own in the shoal hierarchy. IMG_1224.jpeg.e6c19627e5c152b82807d1e4cb113da6.jpegIMG_1223.jpeg.2beb96345dfb9edabe2d73d7581ef8f7.jpeg

I put Indian almond leaf and a tablespoon of salt for a 10gal tote of water. Moved over the sponge filter in her home tank. Once the water reaches temp I'll move her to it and do another round of Maracyn. I'm going to the LFS tomorrow to pick up some kanaplex for back up.

Yes the hair algae issue is loves my new co-op light!WIP.

• Like 1

I finally started setting up the 14 gallon tank I got for Christmas today. I applied the background, attached the light, added my substrate & laid out my hardscape. I won't go any further until I pick my sponge filter up at my Godson's, he put it in his tank for me so I'd have beneficial bacteria to give me a kick start. I'll add the plants, glue stuff together, etc. at that point & then fill 'er up. I hope to be able to add my first critters by April. We'll see. 

14 gal Hardscape.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 2

2nd generation of fry found this week.  probably 4th or 5th in the past few months.  They spawned yesterday.  They were showing activity prior to me doing anything today (maintenance day) and were chasing the females when the water started being removed from the tank while the filters were being cleaned. 

I'm guessing I have 3 littles ones in there, one is what I would call "big enough" 5-6 weeks old.  The new one looks to be about two weeks old.  They laid eggs crazy yesterday (all hidden) and then went ahead and are going to spawn again tonight.

Feed your corydoras repashy at night.  Enough said.

20230215_202311.jpg.442b4d1ab2581c898f80396ae24cab9b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Scooped frogbit out of a couple of my tanks--so much easier than getting rid of duckweed, I'm glad I made the transition.

Windowshopped online looking at Endlers, knowing full well I have no place to put more Endlers. 

Dosed ferts and overfed to compensate my fish for the stress of having me net out one of their friends: I took my best blue male and best blue female platy out of their respective tanks to honeymoon together for a week or so, then I will put them back in their home tanks and hope to have blue platy fry by April. 

• Like 2

Pandas are still going after it.

Today my day....  I woke up to this moment.  We are up to coffee so far, THANK GOODNESS, and laundry.  I fed the fish repashy.  Froze out the rest of the batch into cubes and will have that to accent the other stuff.

Little Riddick waiting for breakfast.

It still makes me think and wonder if I don't have enough food given so many different growth rates on the fry in the black cory tank.  They are all doing well, some of them have definitely eaten their veggies.

On 2/16/2023 at 6:41 PM, PineSong said:

Windowshopped online looking at Endlers, knowing full well I have no place to put more Endlers.

Pecktec did a tour of Flip aquatics.  They have some special version of endlers... it's about halfway through.  Don't know if they are listed yet.

• Thanks 1

On 2/17/2023 at 7:00 PM, anewbie said:

Testing a new light - first 2 pictures - new light - 3rd plant 3.0:

1.jpg.0145f280bea82b46d67a9d1e0dc7c52f.jpg2.jpg.75fdfb08d995016c23c661b84a3cc4d2.jpg29_nov_12_22.jpg.c4a5b2f6de6b8e60d6ad64927487b7ad.jpg

You can see the difference in tone by looking at the substrate. Btw aquariumcoop stopped selling plant 3.0...

I only see 2 pictures? Tank looks great by the way!

On 2/18/2023 at 7:19 PM, PineSong said:

I only see 2 pictures? Tank looks great by the way!

I put spaces between the pictures to make it obvious; you can compare the edited post to the one you quoted. Basically the first picture is the light; the 2nd/3rd are comparative. If you look at the substrate you can see the difference in tone induced by the light - the new light is fairly neutral and the plant 3.0 wasn't.

• Thanks 1

In the last 5 hours of my day:

• I smoked a pound of bacon
  • threw away the pot of mushroom soup I was making
  • reset/cancelled the alarm system 6 times🤯
  • explained to my neighbors why there was a fire engine in front of my house.
  • Cussed out the alarm company for sending the fire dept. after I told them there was no fire🤬
  • explained to the police officer that I never called them. and there was no fire
  • almost burnt the back up pizza
  • did a 50% water change on the 29
  • accidently turned a top off on the 65 gal. into a water change when the power cord on the water pump came loose, flooding the dining room while I was checking the pizza.
  • watched a really lousy movie
  • surrendered and went to bed
  • Sad 5

This morning my to-do list included:

grocery shopping, meal prep, cooking dinner for visitors, re-installing car seat covers, fish logistics, and day job paperwork.

I had to draw an actual chart of all my tanks to decide who could move where and how I could or could not fit in a breeding trio of a new guppy or Endler strain. 

I only have 5 tanks and a pond, and I needed a chart. Glad I don't run NASA or anything.

On 2/19/2023 at 12:31 PM, Tanked said:

In the last 5 hours of my day:

• I smoked a pound of bacon
  • threw away the pot of mushroom soup I was making
  • reset/cancelled the alarm system 6 times🤯
  • explained to my neighbors why there was a fire engine in front of my house.
  • Cussed out the alarm company for sending the fire dept. after I told them there was no fire🤬
  • explained to the police officer that I never called them. and there was no fire
  • almost burnt the back up pizza
  • did a 50% water change on the 29
  • accidently turned a top off on the 65 gal. into a water change when the power cord on the water pump came loose, flooding the dining room while I was checking the pizza.
  • watched a really lousy movie
  • surrendered and went to bed

That is indeed a surrender-worthy day! I hope you have the Tanked equivalent of graham crackers and milk or whatever you find most soothing!

• Haha 1

On 2/19/2023 at 12:32 PM, PineSong said:

grocery shopping, meal prep, cooking dinner for visitors, re-installing car seat covers, fish logistics, and day job paperwork.

I had to draw an actual chart of all my tanks to decide who could move where and how I could or could not fit in a breeding trio of a new guppy or Endler strain. 

I only have 5 tanks and a pond, and I needed a chart. Glad I don't run NASA or anything.

That is indeed a surrender-worthy day! I hope you have the Tanked equivalent of graham crackers and milk or whatever you find most soothing!

On 2/19/2023 at 12:32 PM, PineSong said:

NASA still uses charts and really big binders.  I had milk, but ran out of Ginger Snaps last week.  Had to switch to mint tea.  The day wasn't quite bad enough to get out the Bourbon!

• Haha 3

On 2/19/2023 at 5:22 PM, Furbs said:

got the black background on the tank. Flipped the fluval aquasky the other way (1/4 the leds only go to purple and ar dim) to see if the pleco starts exploring the other side of the tank or just likes the driftwood side 

iPhone_cec3a_IMG_0536.JPG.193ab03b65fb1434272e6f098c3e8f5b.JPG

Your plants look great 🙂

• Thanks 1