What did you get done today?

Cory

On 12/22/2022 at 2:41 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

pester the new tank inhabitant for no reason

Is the new inhabitant the sword that you’re adding back from QT?

On 12/22/2022 at 5:37 PM, cavdad45 said:

I got my latest shipment from Aquarium Co-op. Plants are in, pleco cave washed and set. Other items put up for next project.

However, I do miss the decals.....Cory, come on, Bro, bring those back. My grandkids enjoyed them as much as I did.

🙂

They are still available, for purchase. He said in one of his videos why they are no longer free. I think the reason was that shipping/packaging costs went up for them and he is trying to offset the expense?

On 12/23/2022 at 8:41 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

They are still available, for purchase. He said in one of his videos why they are no longer free. I think the reason was that shipping/packaging costs went up for them and he is trying to offset the expense?

I know, I just thought they were real cool, and my grandkids (fish keepers in training) loved them

On 12/23/2022 at 8:41 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Yeah. I am glad he is defending himself now. He should be the tank boss but was a very meek fish at first. Considering how he was pestering the females and she ended with the fin rot I was really trying to keep an eye on things.

They've been together for a few days now 🙂

On 12/23/2022 at 11:49 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Very understandable. Same thing happens in engineering, but just less important issues. My mom is a nurse, works in one of the most rewarding and difficult departments, has worked a lot of different ones including ER. Your work doesn't go unnoticed or underappreciated. Hopefully the next day, week, and moments are better.  Keep doing what you do, needless to say the world needs more nurses, medical staff, and vets who just actually care.  It's a very heavy job.... But there is a world of good there too.

I appreciate the kind words.  There are days when it’s really nice to hear it!  Most days and most owners are kind.  It’s just the occasional client that gets frustrating to deal with for a whole slew of different reasons.  You wouldn’t believe some of the stories I could tell.  😂🙄  Tonight was a good shift overall if you ignore the lady that took off her shoe and sniffed inside it deeply during the appointment.  😳🤪

I mostly enjoy my work, we have a great crew, and this has been the easiest clinic to work at as far as general work environment.  I do get frustrated and complain about owner antics sometimes, but overall it has been a very rewarding profession.  My vet nurses work very hard and definitely earn their keep!  Fortunately, with the current employment environment, they are earning more than ever, which is really great for them and well deserved.

On 12/22/2022 at 6:44 PM, rockfisher said:

Some BBA is not a huge deal. 

Yeah, I don’t get too worried about a bit of BBA here and there as long as it’s not taking over.  If it’s taking over, I need to adjust something.  It can be tricky sometimes to figure out what that something is that’s the key to making the BBA go away.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Today I did a fast and easy water change on my 20g tall using this cap on my gravel vac. THANK YOU to whoever posted about it recently and let me know that it existed--I tried to find the OP but couldn't. 

I was able to whisk 7 gallons out of the tank without paying attention and without sucking up a single baby guppy. I've used a stocking over the end of the vac in the past but this works much better as the slots allow mulm and other tiny debris to get sucked up, while keeping guppies and non-baby shrimp safely out of the tube.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1158869121/siphon-tube-screen-for-aquariums?ref=yr_purchases

It wasn't "today", but shortly before Christmas I took possession of new to me tanks of 125, 55, 40, and 29 gallons.  And a 90 to-be-collected still.  Not sure what I will be doing with them yet and considering resealing the 125, but also wondering if that's the right thing to do.  

• Like 2

On 12/27/2022 at 7:16 AM, jwcarlson said:

It wasn't "today", but shortly before Christmas I took possession of new to me tanks of 125, 55, 40, and 29 gallons.  And a 90 to-be-collected still.  Not sure what I will be doing with them yet and considering resealing the 125, but also wondering if that's the right thing to do.  

Sure is a lot of space for guppies.... but i'm sure if you give them enough time they will fill all of them up !

• Haha 1

On 12/27/2022 at 2:28 PM, jwcarlson said:

About two weeks, as I recall.  But it's been a lot of years since I've had guppies! 😄

Guppies are the best ! I like the ones with red tails and green bodies and green tails and red bodies. The yellow ones are not quite as nice but very now and then i get a red one with a yellow streak that looks interesting. They are like a box of chocolate; put about 8 different color morph together wait a year and you never know what new look will spawn.

• Like 1

I did a 50% water change in my 2 gallon jararium (snails & plants only) and am almost finished re-scaping my 1 gallon jararium (also just snails & plants). I am already feeling very happy with the new setup & feeling accomplished to have so much done already today. 

Tiny Mighty Rebuild.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Not just today but over the last few days I purchased from TC plants from a local big box store to use up a gift card I got for the holidays, moved some snails over to the Walstad jar, and did some algae removal from 'Endor'. The pickle jar now has an amazon sword (it looked smaller in the TC package so I don't think it's staying in there long term), there's an Anubias Nana in Endor, and I split up the Lobelia Cardinalis is split between a clump in the Walstad and the rest set up to grow emergent in a little bowl. 

Did the usual water change on my 40B; really should post an updated picture one of these days; it is a mass of plant front to back. Upped the light intensity 20% from 45% to 55% to get a bit more light to the bottom. I'll have to watch it carefully the next few weeks to see what happens with algae and adjust as needed. The bottom plants are suffering due to the massive density of plants. Hum.... 4 more months and then i'll have to tear it down and replant everything.

I learned how to upload a video onto YouTube! It's a WIP, but baby steps to begin. I caught Goldy mountain climbing today and saw his other side. I call it his other side because there is no missing this! He's been hiding a secret and now it's so big I don't think anything can be done to fix this big hole in his shell. 

Goldys Crack.jpg

Edited by JJenna
Added Photo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/5/2023 at 5:47 PM, JJenna said:

I learned how to upload a video onto YouTube! It's a WIP, but baby steps to begin. I caught Goldy mountain climbing today and saw his other side. I call it his other side because there is no missing this! He's been hiding a secret and now it's so big I don't think anything can be done to fix this big hole in his shell. 

Goldys Crack.jpg

Have not tried this but I found these 2 instructional videos.  If anyone wants to weigh in as to whether or not they've tried this and what the results were, please do.  (?)  I'm not saying it's a good idea or not; I'm just sharing what I found and you can decide.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea