What did you get done today?

Cory

Today I did usual water change on the 40B; but no picture - however since @Fish Folkand @Beardedbillygoat1975were talking about Festums I thought I would post this picture of my 120 which has angles, festums and other stuff. These festums were wild caught but they are dang tame 'cept if you bring a net anywhere close to the aquarium - then they abandon the angels and take to the hills. You can't really see it in the pictures but some of the marbles angels are pretty decent with sort of a pearl effect in areas:

festy.jpg.edb3d6c0c48c60fc2e2f17437048a851.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 3

On 11/3/2022 at 2:54 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

I have fed it before, but this is the first time in forever where I've been able to feed mysis without issues.  I've always, or almost always, had HoBs on the tank and some frozen foods don't do well with that, especially if they have skimmers and suck all the food in too fast.

So.... I removed the HoB a few days ago, replaced the rear trim with the full length piece and I finally was able to feed some frozen mysis and I'm sitting here watching things as I type. 

I cut my finger pretty deep cooking, slipped on a tomato with a knife I had literally just sharpened and wasn't paying full attention. It is day 2 of healing, but just have been taking things easy and doing everything one handed.

WOAH! Grace the shark just came and took a huge bite! She almost never eats for me. She always grazes.  The cubes floated straight down and didn't really push much into the water. It sunk to the bottom and the pandas are having at it.

The black swordtails are doing just fine getting in there and getting some food too 🙂

Definitely small enough for the fry to eat and it looks like all is happy with tonight's offerings. Grace's big bite meant a little of the food is up and around everywhere, so it's easy for the little ones to get some food.

20221102_235439.JPG

......and now the Corys are laying eggs.

I just love the profile on those cories. So cute!

• Like 1

Oh yea - did the usual water change on my 10 yesterday. Today I gave the kids some bbs - you can see one between mom and the leaf and there are 4 to 6 more on the leaf. She is such a wonderful mom they hate to leave her:

xqq.jpg.ba00c24f0133611901233ef7ce4eba35.jpg

Edited by anewbie
  • Like 3

I was on a live stream and was given some advice for rectifying a few issues with my CO2 system.  Thankfully with streams and fish hobbyists there is almost always someone who can help you out with specific questions even if the content creator is busy!

I was advised to replace my tubing in case there is a leak.  I went ahead and checked my bins, then checked again, and again, and again until I realized after an hour of searching that I had already replaced it and that I don't have anymore to use.  😞

I pulled the boxes for my diffuser in the case I need to replace it with a different shape, cleaned out the algae, and added back in my check valve at the waterline.  The thinking being that whatever is going on and the reason for my CO2 not diffusing efficiently could be water somewhere it shouldn't be.

Got everything back together and we'll see how things go tomorrow.  Using bleach around an aquarium is always pretty intimidating so I ended up smelling some when I was working over the tank and added some prime to the tank just for safety.  I hope there wasn't any issues and will check on things here shortly.

• Like 1

I picked up two more cherry shrimp for my gallon jar bringing the total up to three. The plants I added have been melting back a bit but the snails seem to be enjoying the snack.

I've had a hard time finding examples of jar aquariums with equipment in them, everything seems to be "no filter, no heater!" Well, mine has a sponge filter and a heater, so there!

IMG_20221108_201215.jpg

(I'm only using the jar lid as a coaster for tools/accessories... I don't want the rust getting in the water.)IMG_20221108_201205__01.jpg.23d4ebffadf7d1f7d4e9fa7dd14147b4.jpg

Edited by drewzero1
  • Like 1

Went to the LFS in Barcelona to pick up a 10kg bag of fine grey/black sand by JBL for the second hand 91L cube I got a few weeks back very very cheap. I am shocked what stuff costs these days... 10kg of JBL sand for 27 euro, even more expensive than the tank itself and its .... well... just fine sand really, though it is ready for aquarium use.

Gonna rinse it and put it in tonight, should be looking good. Pics to follow once I have the sand and water in.

• Like 1

Did the usual saturday water change - this is my 29:

29_nov_12_22.jpg.0ad2b6142528a2b7beed70c373667095.jpg

Not really a lot has changed since the last picture but a bit denser and the aponogeton ulvaceus is just about ready to go back into hibernation - i think i mentioned it is my least favorite aponogeton due to frequent desire to nap.

Oh yea i should have mentioned my little onion plant (left infront of sponge filter) has really taken off. The leaves are quite long but very narrow so is a rather quiet plant. 

Edited by anewbie
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

And today... I did the water change on my 40: I went from this:

p1.jpg.7b5f5654845ec07dd9413a5520000df2.jpg

to this:

a3.jpg.7608e3c595664ec491275ac28ea24327.jpg

to this:

a1.jpg.082e2f1a27cc9fd2b608d6b0b607829d.jpg

A couple of notable: On the right that large leaf is not a lily but some massive leaf the red flame swordplant sent up in its imitation of a lily.

On the right if you look carefully in the 2nd picture you can see a leaf from the crypt cordata var siamensis

On the third picture if you look carefully near the lily leaf and right of the red sprialis there is a FISH !!!!! Sadly it is nothing more than a young guppy and not one of the gazillion young pleco (most of which are avoiding the predators by sitting behind the sponge filter; which i should have photographed but failed to because well i'm lousy in that fashion.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

@Odd Duck I have set up a scud colony like your copy of @Torrey's  I used duckweed and hornwort for the plants.  The spout keeps clogging and the water does not seem to be moving around well. The bottom of my dispenser is domed, so I have ordered some ceramic rights to see if that helps hold the UGF in place, while allowing water to move.

How often do you have to  break it down and clean it? 

I am practicing with lake scuds before I spend money on clean scuds. 

• Like 1

Feeling pretty proud of myself today, lol. I removed all the duckweed from my 20g tall, using the same method that has been successful so far (three weeks!) in my other tank. At this rate I will be duckweed free (except for the tub pond) in another month 🙂

Also sold enough fish and shrimp to pay for a week of groceries, or 1/10th of my granny cat's vet bill, or a pond heater for my white clouds and goldfish who had their first snowfall this morning....it's nice when the little rascals give back after all of the obsessing we do looking after them.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

On 11/13/2022 at 2:06 PM, KittenFishMom said:

@Odd Duck I have set up a scud colony like your copy of @Torrey's  I used duckweed and hornwort for the plants.  The spout keeps clogging and the water does not seem to be moving around well. The bottom of my dispenser is domed, so I have ordered some ceramic rights to see if that helps hold the UGF in place, while allowing water to move.

How often do you have to  break it down and clean it? 

I am practicing with lake scuds before I spend money on clean scuds. 

I haven’t ever broken mine down to clean them.  The scuds do that pretty well.  Usually by the time they’re, ahem, done with any food added, it’s very fine.  But if your spout is clogging, you may need to.  First, I would probably try moving it to the sink so the spout is over the sink.  Put a net under it to catch scuds or drain it into a small bucket.  Have a small tubing brush handy to push into the spout when you open it and be prepared for a mess.  If it won’t drain, then try pushing the brush in to see if you can unclog it.  Have water ready to replace the volume that drains.  You should have plenty of scuds in the water that drains out.  You can either feed them out, put them back in the jar, or a little of both.

Good luck, and sorry for the mess because I don’t see needing to do something like that going any other way.  😆 😉 

Oh, and I don’t know that I would spend money on scuds if your lake scuds are doing well and acceptable to whomever you’re feeding them.

Replaced the lid on my tank with yet another one (29G) that doesn't fit properly.  At least the glass is thicker and hopefully the thing stays together.  I email Aqueon yet again. We'll see if they listen.

I went to the big box store and tried to find a few things.  YEP, don't have multiple choices and I have 4 local shops with 1 off them that might have what I actually need.

-Plant glue, nope.
-Plant of some kind (specifically a java fern), all of them were either dead, dried out, or rotting, so I got a bolbitus.
-Rocks (they has 4-5 rocks in total, all of them were small and very sharp, not a lot of variety)
-Mopani (two pieces, each of them were $30 and they were literally 8" long and not great for a tank.  You would need 4-5 to make anything worth it).
-Dark water liquid.  Says they have it, can't find it. They have bottles of water though.
-Floating plants. Nope, and they had a ton of rotting moss balls.

On 11/17/2022 at 7:58 AM, Kevin F. said:

I'm going to get alot done today, thanks to the fast shipping and excellent packaging.  I also get to try my hand at Repashy for the first time.

That's AWESOME.  You'll love it. So will the fish 🙂

On 11/16/2022 at 2:19 PM, anewbie said:

Swallowed a mouth full of fish water doing water change. I hate when that happens; at least there were no fishes in it.

Ewwwwww. LOL.  I highly recommend not doing that to start your siphon!  I submerge mine and let gravity do the work. 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2022 at 5:52 AM, anewbie said:

And this morning i took a picture of my little purple aflame. Hard to believe this plant is already THREE years old:

That's fantastic. Nicely done!

Your anubias behind it. Do you have something to clean the black algae on the edges? If not, I'd probably pull 2-3 of those leaves and see if it perks up.

On 12/1/2022 at 3:47 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

That's fantastic. Nicely done!

Your anubias behind it. Do you have something to clean the black algae on the edges? If not, I'd probably pull 2-3 of those leaves and see if it perks up.

It actually rotted in the middle about 8 months ago - i think the rot has stopped as it is still alive - the leaves were a *lot worse* but the panda gara have done a good job cleaning them.