What did you get done today?

Cory

On 8/18/2022 at 7:51 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Good to see you're keeping spirits high.  I hope everyone around you and you are doing well going through all of that 🙂

Thanks, yes, we were able to shield the significant other from it while I and the kid are isolating.

• Like 1

I had been hoping to keep my patio pond going another month or two, but we're doing some work on the patio so the pond needed to move. I figured that would be easier without all the fish and moved them to their winter home indoors with my standard white clouds.

IMG_20220818_173412.jpg.fd8f369685be4bedeb5a75c3dde00e73.jpg

Started with 6 golden white clouds, ended with 5. No fry spotted, but also no mosquito larvae, so I'll call it a qualified success. I'm very pleased with their reddish gold color, compared to how pale they were at the store. (Pictures taken while I was giving the last one time to find the net.)

Part of the patio plans include a bigger pond with more plants for cover, so I'm really looking forward to trying this again next year!

1d2cda51-7ae7-4cbb-9c2d-eb56ee3e94ee.gif.08a652ec6e42bc9c6d7c9b2679e64340.gif

• Like 3
  • Love 2

CE0CBBDC-E1A0-4988-9225-69EF0FA664AC.jpeg.1a0c310add1dd840ec5d9f79cd4fdf52.jpegAA120F3D-9BB0-412A-868E-6B88AB5B24FD.jpeg.8f5ccfc1eecf68b327d1215ba43828e7.jpeg6164F225-8EB0-470E-B291-9292082BDCB1.jpeg.db48a6574587365f9ff171021fc100df.jpeg973ABA30-6706-4FEB-BF41-63BFC7FBC72D.jpeg.cdfb53282c8f76c4a098df705a9295d6.jpeg

Super low motivation / low energy day so I just fed everyone, and sat very still next to the Ancistrus Rio Paraguay & Ancistrus Wabenmuster tanks waiting for them to venture out to eat. They’re all jumpy and hide at the slightest movement outside the tank so it was nice to sit calmly, wait, and watch them slowly come out to enjoy lunch 

Also pulled a test stem of Rotala Ramosior Florida from an established tank and added it to a new plants-only setup the other day, and it’s standing up & pearling today so it caused a release of happy chemicals in the brainbeans 🙂

9ECD2C5A-B43F-4200-8E85-CAF80D21E655.jpeg.2c8585ea97e9113582888577afb78521.jpegFC739EC0-4E9C-4814-B0DD-434589B9DC54.jpeg.ee129c27c3113a8426ab3c371ec18ba4.jpegEE266C9E-B60E-40D6-ADB4-0CB91E9A50F4.jpeg.3f1b10b1a0dd515c1219430b2cbb936f.jpegD647F8B7-FE08-4F6A-A6ED-66C6EA0A0DE6.jpeg.65a288788907b0587e84002bb7c7c9db.jpeg

B798ABB3-49B1-457D-B1E8-85244CBC5460.jpeg

• Love 8

On 8/11/2022 at 9:06 PM, anewbie said:

she's a fiesty thing

Keep an eye on the krib I have had to isolate one that ruled my tank like a tyrant. I didn't see much I think she got nasty after lights out. But slowly all my fish had become really reclusive. Hopefully yours will live up to the peaceful nature I keep reading that that they have.

Oh and a tank is only overcrowd if you spend more time changing water than watching your fish.  Basically if you can manage the parameters (with wibble room for emergencies)and the fish have room to swim your ok.

On 8/20/2022 at 2:26 PM, Dark River Aquatics said:

CE0CBBDC-E1A0-4988-9225-69EF0FA664AC.jpeg.1a0c310add1dd840ec5d9f79cd4fdf52.jpeg

What species is the apisto and is it by itself ?

On 8/20/2022 at 4:53 PM, Flumpweesel said:

Keep an eye on the krib I have had to isolate one that ruled my tank like a tyrant. I didn't see much I think she got nasty after lights out. But slowly all my fish had become really reclusive. Hopefully yours will live up to the peaceful nature I keep reading that that they have.

Oh and a tank is only overcrowd if you spend more time changing water than watching your fish.  Basically if you can manage the parameters (with wibble room for emergencies)and the fish have room to swim your ok.

She's 4 years old - she was left over fry that i failed to catch when i was removing them. She gets really mad when the clown loaches or pleco 'borrow' her cave but they just ignore her when she tries to remove them after all they are substantially larger. I worry that one of these days the clown loach will have enough and fill her full of holes.

• Like 1

I moved my espei rasboras home from my work tank yesterday. They got scary pale during the move, but this morning they're settling in and back in (orange and) black. I'm a bit nervous putting them in with bigger fish like mollies, pearl danios, and banjo cats, but I think they'll like the heavier planting and lighter foot traffic of my home tank. They'll be replaced on Monday by some new endlers' livebearers I picked up at the local swap last week. (Thanks Keith!) Hopefully those guys will be less scared than the espeis were every time somebody walks past my desk.

• Like 2

On 8/20/2022 at 11:07 PM, anewbie said:

She's 4 years old - she was left over fry that i failed to catch when i was removing them. She gets really mad when the clown loaches or pleco 'borrow' her cave but they just ignore her when she tries to remove them after all they are substantially larger. I worry that one of these days the clown loach will have enough and fill her full of holes.

My tank must just be full of wimps glad it works out for you, mine is just murderous. It is amazing how many more fish I see now she's out of the community tank

On 8/20/2022 at 6:07 PM, anewbie said:

It’s a male Apisto Trifasciata Red Fin, he’s an absolute dink to other fish but the Wabens don’t care so he’s just in there until I can get rid of him - have Trifasciata Red Fin & Rio Guapore in other tanks but this male doesn’t play well with others so he got voted off the island 😂

8B2B7373-E130-49D0-A17C-D90359324B05.jpeg.c63ca2a5c3a999fcf4fb8c1de1f0772c.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Love 2

On 8/20/2022 at 9:14 PM, Dark River Aquatics said:

It’s a male Apisto Trifasciata Red Fin, he’s an absolute dink to other fish but the Wabens don’t care so he’s just in there until I can get rid of him - have Trifasciata Red Fin & Rio Guapore in other tanks but this male doesn’t play well with others so he got voted off the island 😂

8B2B7373-E130-49D0-A17C-D90359324B05.jpeg.c63ca2a5c3a999fcf4fb8c1de1f0772c.jpeg

Yes nice fish but one of the more aggressive species of apistogramma; definitely not friendly to other males in the same aquarium; can also be quite mean to non-ready females but quite nice looking. Do you know if he was wild or tr.

On 8/20/2022 at 5:24 PM, Flumpweesel said:

My tank must just be full of wimps glad it works out for you, mine is just murderous. It is amazing how many more fish I see now she's out of the community tank

Don't mistake me she is aggressive (and was more aggressive when paired with another female); but her tank-mates are mostly larger and more robust....

On 8/21/2022 at 2:18 AM, anewbie said:

Yes nice fish but one of the more aggressive species of apistogramma; definitely not friendly to other males in the same aquarium; can also be quite mean to non-ready females but quite nice looking. Do you know if he was wild or tr.

The male in the tank with the Wabens is tank raised, got him through Red Fish Blue Fish - he was constantly ripping the fins of the female even in a densely planted 40b so I moved him out and will likely order another pair and hope for a more mellow male 🤞🏻

The Trifasc Rio Guapore in the second pic are an F1 male & female raised by me from a wild pair, with two new tank raised females added to the mix. That male is very placid and easy going, he flares a bit to assert himself but otherwise he has a very peaceful disposition 

Currently also have Apistogramma Alto Tapiche, generic triple red Cockatoos, and F1 generation Apistogramma Tefé from a wild pair from the same import as the Rio Guapores - this is the best male Tefé from all of their spawns, pic was taken a week or two ago 😄

F4E69D1F-B646-4BF9-A2CA-55EFC2B55014.jpeg.cc1ab7eb9d638818c7b5d537cd6ba498.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 8/21/2022 at 9:20 AM, Dark River Aquatics said:

The male in the tank with the Wabens is tank raised, got him through Red Fish Blue Fish - he was constantly ripping the fins of the female even in a densely planted 40b so I moved him out and will likely order another pair and hope for a more mellow male 🤞🏻

The Trifasc Rio Guapore in the second pic are an F1 male & female raised by me from a wild pair, with two new tank raised females added to the mix. That male is very placid and easy going, he flares a bit to assert himself but otherwise he has a very peaceful disposition 

Currently also have Apistogramma Alto Tapiche, generic triple red Cockatoos, and F1 generation Apistogramma Tefé from a wild pair from the same import as the Rio Guapores - this is the best male Tefé from all of their spawns, pic was taken a week or two ago 😄

F4E69D1F-B646-4BF9-A2CA-55EFC2B55014.jpeg.cc1ab7eb9d638818c7b5d537cd6ba498.jpeg

That F1 male is gorgeous. I think I'll try to get some and give them a shot.

As for the male nipping the female; that is normal with polygamous species; they will drive away females who are not ready to breed.  I see you have a lot of pink Jacobensii; lovely plant but spreads like a weed; and i presume that is a nurii rosen behind it - but not so sure on that one. Are you injecting co2 ?

In my 40 i have several long pieces of drift wood that the fishes have dug little holes under so they can swim under them. While you can't see the drift wood due to plant coverage the fishes can use them for escape; also leaf litter helps for the same reason.

Edited by anewbie

On 8/21/2022 at 2:08 PM, anewbie said:

That F1 male is gorgeous. I think I'll try to get some and give them a shot.

As for the male nipping the female; that is normal with polygamous species; they will drive away females who are not ready to breed.  I see you have a lot of pink Jacobensii; lovely plant but spreads like a weed; and i presume that is a nurii rosen behind it - but not so sure on that one. Are you injecting co2 ?

In my 40 i have several long pieces of drift wood that the fishes have dug little holes under so they can swim under them. While you can't see the drift wood due to plant coverage the fishes can use them for escape; also leaf litter helps for the same reason.

Yep! I use co2 in several setups at the moment, have a journal thread going that will probably give a better overview of various tanks than if I started yacking about them all here 😄 Good eye on the plants though, that tank does have Jacobsenii Pink and a few different types of Nurii - Rosen Maiden, Pink Line, Raubensis, Pahang, and Luminous Green. Although I’m not sold on some of the different names, a few of them seem to be pretty much identical now that they’ve been kept in the same tank side by side with the same growing conditions so I don’t trust the trade names on a couple of them 

On 8/21/2022 at 4:53 PM, Dark River Aquatics said:

Yep! I use co2 in several setups at the moment, have a journal thread going that will probably give a better overview of various tanks than if I started yacking about them all here 😄 Good eye on the plants though, that tank does have Jacobsenii Pink and a few different types of Nurii - Rosen Maiden, Pink Line, Raubensis, Pahang, and Luminous Green. Although I’m not sold on some of the different names, a few of them seem to be pretty much identical now that they’ve been kept in the same tank side by side with the same growing conditions so I don’t trust the trade names on a couple of them 

I have nuri rosen, pahang and luminous green - and pink line on order. For the first three I've seen a distinct difference but that difference is greater under certain growing condition - shade has a big impact on the plants look. I hope pink line is distinctly different and will be disappointed if not. For luminious green i've noticed distinct green lines for young plants and shaded plants - under strong light it begins to blend in a bit with nurii rosen though the pattern seems more complex. For pahang i find in the low tech tank it grows taller and has more orangy colour in the middle and more green on the edges where nurii rosen next to it has more pattern to the edge of the leaves. I'm not sure about Raubensis - i have a plant that was called cryptocoryne cordata var. siamensis 'Rosanervig' but i'm not convince what it is  - i had it under strong light but i've read that to get the true pattern it needs to be heavily shaded but still I have my doubt it is a cordata as it looks more like a nurii rosen. So that one is still an open book. While the nurii rosen and luminous green have a few sprouts it is only the pink jacobii that grows like a weed - i must have 50 of them crowded in there and it just keeps sprouting. 

Got my aquariums, and racks together for my office, which will be the winter home for some of what's currently outside in my mini ponds. The empty rack will have the two 20 gal longs that are currently outside in the rain waiting to dry so I can paint them black like the 40s you see. The 10 gallons are for support tanks and cultures.

Officetanks.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Not necessarily just today, but over the last couple of days between meetings. combined and moved my daphnia cultures indoor (the greenwater tank), they'll get split again once the population reaches mass for a 10 gal. Partially filled all the aquariums so the water is a little aged. Will be topping off the rest with water from ponds and didn't want to burn up all the pond water in the moves. Added some junk fry and plants to each aquarium just to keep the biology from going completely dormant. The ponds are starting to get cold now, so I need to be able to move half my of those fish into here. I am attempting to cold culture the fish outside, but I am splitting the cultures in half and bringing them inside in case outside is a total loss.

Unfortunately the only way to breed cold tolerant fish to breed from fish that survive the condition. I'll be placing pond heaters in the ponds to keep them over 45 Deg F this year.

officefish.jpg

Edited by Scot
  • Like 2

Today I sold 15 fish 🙂 

Had morning coffee in front of my tanks ❤️

Easy Greened my tanks and attempted to take a shrimp census in the tank I've been selling out of recently. Results: still a lot of shrimp left. 

Set up a hospital tank for four fish who don't look right. I'm starting to suspect one of my guppy lines has diabetes or something. 90% of them look fine but 10% of them look gaunt and flimsy despite 1) having been born in my tanks to heavily QT'd and med trio + Expel-P'd parents 2) everyone else in the tank being fat as a cow. I'm not breeding them any more because it's always this strain turning puny.

Took gobs of plants out of the pond and put them in 5g buckets to see if they might hatch out some WCMMs.

• Like 3