What did you get done today?

Cory

On 7/28/2022 at 5:04 PM, mouseturd13 said:

I noticed a new member in my tank yesterday! Not sure how this nerite snail hatched. I have hard water so maybe there is just enough salt! But I am glad he’s here! 

44295DA3-3C5F-4BAE-B22D-AF2F0DF7AE16.jpeg

281B48AF-6152-4E4D-8035-25D1478FB94E.jpeg

I am reporting back and I think you are correct. I haven’t see the little guy again until today and tried to get a better photo. For sure doesn’t look like a nerite. 

6AC547AB-AF8E-466D-BB67-36CBBB782F0C.jpeg

Today I spent watching my fishes. I have the aquariums next to my desk so all i have to do is turn my head and it has the double bonus of avoiding work. One should always avoid work because well work is work and the fishes are a lot more fun. I'm pretty sure i have two many fishes in my aquarium but when they get spooked i can't find any of them. This is what i currently have in the aquarium:

1 adult male angelfish

4 young angle fish (nearly quarter size)

7 festum - around 2-3 inches

3 large clown loaches (4-5 inches)

7 small clown loaches (one likely to not make it - this is a problem with aquahuna; the ones from another source was fantastic)

3 small yoyo loaches

3 large yoyo loaches (4-6 inches)

6 L204 (2 or 3 males rest females)

1 female lemon bn

1 female krib - not sure what to do about her - she's a fiesty thing but the clown loaches and pleco just wag their tails in her face.

9 zebra loaches

16 serpa tetra (not full grown - these guys are fiesty but only with themselves)

15ish cherry barb (impossible to find them)

1 cardinal tetra - poor fellow all alone but i would have to add super giant ones to avoid them being eaten - when i move i'll snag him and put him with the other 9 i have in another aquarium.

some mystery snails (but these are sort of food for well....)

Well it is getting close to feeding time and they are giving me the dirty eye but i shall resit their sad puppy faces until the appointed hour.

-

Anyway what do you think a bit over populated ?

Edited by anewbie

.....What a day.

I finally was able to get to the pet shop and get some real sand to replace the BDBS I had added days ago to the tank.  I want to demonstrate why I am changing it out, but I also wanted to just clarify that I am seeing issues with this sand.  My poor Panda Corydoras....  I feel so bad for all of the fish.

Before:
20220811_150651.JPG.3943f574f32040ec01eed8648d14718c.JPG

I found this dude stuck in the tank.  No thanks.  I don't need this and the puppy hair in the tank! (This is me.... expressing how frustrating it is I can't get a normal lid!!!)  I feel like I need to cover this tank in an awning or something, so ridiculous. 
image.png.e8431d96d62a2d4603f2e1de3ad75cf4.png

Alright, so I removed the hardscape, some equipment, filters, etc. and then I proceeded to remove the fish.  Yesterday I saw micro-scratches all over their bellies and then I saw this guy today who was completely missing all of his barbels.

image.png.8b21514aa30bbdb7ffe8025a0ce85cb7.png

I knew it was a very good thing to be removing this from the tank and I was just simply dreading the entire process.  I tried to siphon it out, that didn't work because of the different weights of all the materials.  The fine metal flake (similar to silt in particle size) was very easy to remove and I have a video of this. 

My issues with BDBS:
1. You have no idea what is in it, it's also a recylced and inconsistent mix of "stuff"
2.  It has very heavy and very light items, so it doesn't compact very well
3.  It has so much crazy stuff and you have to do so much just to be able to use it, let alone get it clean
4.  You should run a magnet through it
5.  It's very sharp. Imaging slowly moving your hand through a pile of staples, that's what my arms felt like after removing it from the tank.  I feel SO BAD for any fish on this substrate.

OK so.... I made a video trying to show the issues.  the final straw for me was when I added the BDBS in the first place, I turned on the water to top off the tank and it was shooting shards of media all over the tank and all over the fish.  I am absolutely certain this caused major issues with Grace the Shark and she's been upset since that happened.  It was like an underwater tornado of shards of metal flying all over and I had the water on as low as possible.

Here is a video of this issue, trying to demonstrate this with my hand and then showing the silt (metal flake) on the top that I can remove with the siphon)

I took the tank out front, hosed the crap off of everything and tried to make sure any film wasn't left in the tank itself.  I cleaned the new sand, took 2.5 buckets of water to completely clean it compared to 30+ minutes cleaning the BDBS and you can see from the above the amount of fines left.  I brought the tank back in, checked the level, and started to reverse the process.  In terms of texture.  This sand just feels like fine gravel. not sharp at all!!!!  I think I will use this gravel for any sand tanks in the future.  It's a bit larger size than the stuff I've had before (moonlight sand size).  I'm impressed.  I highly recommend it.

I added meds, added the hardscape, plants, fish back.  I cleaned the lid.  I dropped the light about 3 times and probably need to just stop using it.  (very old aquasky light)  I will give them a day of rest, then focus on something like repashy that's very soft and easy for them to eat.

Here is the tank after it was all done with the change.

20220811_185521.JPG.dde720969ca06096e5460fdf52b1dc34.JPG

And of course..... Grace the Shark hiding a bit, recovering.
image.png.d027a615f4fed46f7a640189c4cc3017.png

They did good today.  I am glad she didn't jump. I am glad she's ok.  I hand captured her to place her in the tank and she let me, which is very difficult for this species (they LOVE to jump) and so I think, I hope she knows I was trying my best to make it better for her and her panda gang.

In the main tank, I got my order of parts I needed.
-The remaining tools for my aquascaping set (black, fluval) with the S-Shaped scissors, the spring scissors for smaller areas, and then the spatula.
-Installed the new drop checker, slightly better shape to get the right angle when installed and more reliable data
-Installed the new thermometer (trying out the fluval dual temp LCD one)
-Installed the new diffuser (Trying out the seachem beetle one) to see if that gives me any better or worse results than the neo.  The main difference is that it can be installed about an inch lower into the tank.

Finishing up dinner now and checking out the football news.  I'll sit back and watch the fish and just see how behavior is tonight.  They seem to be doing ok so far. They always swim around, but I think they are laying more, which is a good sign!

EDIT: The best way I can describe it.  BDBS feels like I ran my hand through fiberglass or like I have splinters in my finger I just can't remove.  The actual aquarium sand felt like running my hand through cotton balls. That's the extremity of the difference I had.

Day 2:  Now that I can see everything a bit more clearly I do see microcuts on their gills, rapid breathing, redness, belly redness, etc.  I cannot express it enough, please don't put your fish through this if you want black substrate.

I am now treating for bacterial / Fungal and will be feeding very specific foods to try to get these guys to recover.

Edited by nabokovfan87
added updates.

I’ve got BDBS in 8 different tanks and have not had any of the problems you’re describing.  I’m not saying it’s impossible, but it certainly hasn’t been my experience.  My BDBS doesn’t leave my hands feeling roughed up anymore than PFS does and takes only barely longer to rinse.

I’ve had bronze cories breeding in my 100 G nanofish tank for almost a year and a half and the only one with barbel problems had abnormal barbels before she ever went in there (she had one side mostly missing when I got her, appears to have been an injury to that side since it was fully healed by the time I got her).  I also have 7 trilineatus cories along with the 8 bronze cories, 10 Kuhli loaches, and 9 plecos of 3 species.  Nobody has scratches on their undersides or anywhere else.

I think it’s good advice to run a magnet through it, but there’s probably hundreds of thousands of aquarists by now that have used BDBS successfully with no problems related to the sand. I’m sorry you had such a bad experience with it.

• Like 2

While the husband was outta town on a camping trip with family, I Spring/Summer cleaned my entire house (started Thursday 6a.m - Midnight, then Friday 6a.m -10p.m.). I cleaned ceiling to floor, under furniture (the dirt under there was unreal) there is not a single spec of dirt in this house! I’m debating if I should let the husband back in though 😂

• Haha 3

On 8/13/2022 at 6:21 AM, Odd Duck said:

I’m not saying it’s impossible, but it certainly hasn’t been my experience.

That's really good to hear, honestly.  I guarantee I had the worst possible batch / mix you could have.  I just don't think it's worth the risk without it being made of a known item.  I feel so bad seeing what the fish are going through.

On 8/13/2022 at 6:21 AM, Odd Duck said:

I’ve had bronze cories breeding in my 100 G nanofish tank for almost a year and a half and the only one with barbel problems had abnormal barbels before she ever went in there (she had one side mostly missing when I got her, appears to have been an injury to that side since it was fully healed by the time I got her).  I also have 7 trilineatus cories along with the 8 bronze cories, 10 Kuhli loaches, and 9 plecos of 3 species.  Nobody has scratches on their undersides or anywhere else.

I have been digging into "why" some lose barbels.  I've even seen reports of it happening with bare bottom tanks, less so compared to "sharp substrate" issues, but that's definitely a possibility. 

It's a difficult one to pin down.  I just hope they recover.  Day 3 of meds.  Photos yesterday trying to check in on them hit me hard, of course.  I am hoping to see redness and stuff start to heal.  They have always eaten normally, which is a good sign.

I’ve just completed a 7 hour move from Bend, OR to Shoreline, WA with 8 twenty-seven gallon tubs of fish, shrimp and plants along with my first load of 6 of my 13 tanks. Tonight everyone got a partial water change as we get used to the soft water on this side of the cascades. I filled 4 of the 6 tanks and got some form of seeded filtration on all 4. I put aragonite sand in 3 of the setups for my livebearers and my Shellies. I was already beat from unpacking and building furniture but this was reinvigorating. 2BB51492-2774-421E-9554-58AF93BC3CF1.jpeg.d8efdf988a748cc920e9d76300e9e943.jpeg28B61C72-5338-42AA-B722-7005B59B5094.jpeg.9aa486c34f609a68826c44c67fcb27e3.jpegB40BDE30-F08F-4237-BC3A-B12BA980E9CB.jpeg.ebb2484b559a92d6144d59daef3d6769.jpegA23FF195-0FB3-49B6-AD13-1A7E78365DE7.jpeg.cc2b2ad80ce03df4ecfb7063a4de88d5.jpegC4D424E6-F80D-4C67-9BD9-0B616E5E5116.jpeg.1f5b9b387d3c5d4d89ab4870d93c3b68.jpeg
Heated garage ready for fishroom 2.0!

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 8/13/2022 at 8:21 AM, Odd Duck said:

I’ve got BDBS in 8 different tanks and have not had any of the problems you’re describing.  I’m not saying it’s impossible, but it certainly hasn’t been my experience.  My BDBS doesn’t leave my hands feeling roughed up anymore than PFS does and takes only barely longer to rinse.

I think it’s good advice to run a magnet through it, but there’s probably hundreds of thousands of aquarists by now that have used BDBS successfully with no problems related to the sand. I’m sorry you had such a bad experience with it.

There are different brands of bdbs as well as different grade (particle size) and some are probably less safe than other; some can also be iron heavy. This is the reason i avoid bdbs.... you just never know what you are getting...

Edited by anewbie
  • Like 2

On 8/14/2022 at 12:38 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

I was already beat from unpacking and building furniture but this was reinvigorating. 

OK, now I know I’m much older than you!  😆  I would still be just beat!  😂 🤣 

On 8/14/2022 at 12:38 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

Heated garage ready for fishroom 2.0!

Got some nice shelves already installed, too.  Those will hold a lot of fish food, bins of nets (how do I end up with so many nets?), extra lights, spare heaters, etc, etc, etc.  😆 The space looks great and already heated, so that’s a major bonus!

On 8/13/2022 at 11:52 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

That's really good to hear, honestly.  I guarantee I had the worst possible batch / mix you could have.  I just don't think it's worth the risk without it being made of a known item.  I feel so bad seeing what the fish are going through.

I have been digging into "why" some lose barbels.  I've even seen reports of it happening with bare bottom tanks, less so compared to "sharp substrate" issues, but that's definitely a possibility. 

It's a difficult one to pin down.  I just hope they recover.  Day 3 of meds.  Photos yesterday trying to check in on them hit me hard, of course.  I am hoping to see redness and stuff start to heal.  They have always eaten normally, which is a good sign.

I guess I’ve been very lucky with my supplier, but I’ve just bought from Tractor Supply like most others appear to do.  🤷🏻‍♀️ 

• Like 1

On 8/14/2022 at 2:26 PM, Odd Duck said:

I guess I’ve been very lucky with my supplier, but I’ve just bought from Tractor Supply like most others appear to do.  🤷🏻‍♀️ 

Yeah, that's where I got mine.  Same bag I've seen everyone else use.  Locally where I'm at there's a ton of metal manufacturing, so maybe that is why.  I can't explain it.  The only "black sand" I'll end up trying one of these days if the tahitian black sand if it ever exists again.   Beyond that, I'll be content with white.  I can't use the cichlid mix stuff because of my water. 

All good 🙂

• Like 1

On 8/14/2022 at 5:00 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Yeah, that's where I got mine.  Same bag I've seen everyone else use.  Locally where I'm at there's a ton of metal manufacturing, so maybe that is why.  I can't explain it.  The only "black sand" I'll end up trying one of these days if the tahitian black sand if it ever exists again.   Beyond that, I'll be content with white.  I can't use the cichlid mix stuff because of my water. 

All good 🙂

Estes has a stoney river that substrate that is pretty nice. They have two blacks - one is painted nad sucks but the other one is great - 'cept for hte price.

Edited by anewbie

Cleaned four of my aquariums; moved two of the larger angels from the 29 to the 100 including one gorgeous marble (they are not large - maybe slightly smaller than quarters). This puts 3 platinum 1 black and 3 marble in the 120 and leaves 2 platinum 2 marble and 3 blacks in the 29. One of the blacks is not doing well and i suspect it will be a runt or die but every feeding i make sure to put food near it - it just doens't want to eat much. What i am going to do when all these fellows get larger i have no clue - obviously i can't keep them all but they are so adorable....

Today I realized I hadn't seen my Amano shrimp in a few days. Looked all over the tank, didn't find it, but that's not too uncommon for me. I searched the floor just in case; mine has never escaped but I've read that they do. I ended up seeing something silvery beneath the table.

Turns out it was one of my Emerald Eye Raspboras that had probably jumped out earlier today while I cleaned debris off my powerhead (the body wasn't too dried out and I know I had counted them all just yesterday...). It's the first Raspbora that I've lost.

HOPEFULLY I find my Amano lol.

• Sad 1

On 8/17/2022 at 6:24 PM, Jayci said:

Today I realized I hadn't seen my Amano shrimp in a few days. Looked all over the tank, didn't find it, but that's not too uncommon for me. I searched the floor just in case; mine has never escaped but I've read that they do. I ended up seeing something silvery beneath the table.

That's the worst!!!!  Sneaky little shrimp.  LOL. 

A. Check the highest flow part of the tank, even if it's out of water.
B. Check at night, they tend to be way more active after lights out.  They are still active during the day, but way moreso at night.

Best of luck with the search!

On 8/18/2022 at 6:29 AM, Cawafuoshi said:

Such pleasure if you have nothing but time

Good to see you're keeping spirits high.  I hope everyone around you and you are doing well going through all of that 🙂

• Thanks 1