What do you like to do other than fish

Bean

16 hours ago, James Black said:

I play the guitar. Guitar and Aquariums are the two hobbies that I love the most! Both a great way for me to forget about whats happening around the world and just focus on my fish, or the new song I'm writting/ practcing. 

What kind of guitar?  I play mostly my Fender Telecaster nowadays.  Started off about 30 years ago with an old rust bucket acoustic.  It's a nice hobby and I think my fish enjoy the music (maybe, lol).  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DaveSamsell said:

What kind of guitar?  I play mostly my Fender Telecaster nowadays.  Started off about 30 years ago with an old rust bucket acoustic.  It's a nice hobby and I think my fish enjoy the music (maybe, lol).  

I have a fender steel string, its really old (its my Dads guitar that he played when he was growing up. But it still looks brand new). And then a Electric Guitar (squite strat). I play for my fish, they are my audience.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Oh man I love to watch anime haha. I've been trying to merge anime and fish tanks together for some time now 🤣

I also love playing some acoustic guitar, photography, animation, and volley-ball! Pretty random things but... I guess I keep myself quite entertained 🙂

• Like 6

I have soooo many hobbies, a lot of which I can no longer enjoy. My kayak still sits by the water, but she is pretty lonely these days.

I read a lot. I give myself a goal of a hundred books per year, some years I kill it, some years I don't even come close.

I read a lot of comics too, but I don't count those toward my goal.

I an an amateur meteorologist and love setting up and sharing data from my weather station and just learning about our atmosphere. I also collect weather books and other field guide type books.

Love birdwatching.

Geek culture in general is also a hobby. Movies, Tv, video games, etc. My first console was Pong from Sears Roebuck and I've had the latest consoles ever since.

I think that covers the major ones.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rikostan said:

I have soooo many hobbies, a lot of which I can no longer enjoy. My kayak still sits by the water, but she is pretty lonely these days.

I read a lot. I give myself a goal of a hundred books per year, some years I kill it, some years I don't even come close.

I read a lot of comics too, but I don't count those toward my goal.

I an an amateur meteorologist and love setting up and sharing data from my weather station and just learning about our atmosphere. I also collect weather books and other field guide type books.

Love birdwatching.

Geek culture in general is also a hobby. Movies, Tv, video games, etc. My first console was Pong from Sears Roebuck and I've had the latest consoles ever since.

I think that covers the major ones.

We have a lot in common. I usually go through about 100 books a year, although some of those books are repeats. I did a lot of birding before the recent round of fishkeeping. And because of change ups in the fishroom over the last month my weather station (Davis ProVantage 2) is temporarily disconnected. My handle on Weather Underground is KNCPITTS8.

• Like 3

I'm a freelance copyeditor by trade (and no I don't care about anyone's typos unless I'm paid to care). But I spent many years designing, writing, and editing knitting patterns, if you can believe it. Getting back into the industry soon, but will always keep reading people's stuff for money and inserting the odd comma.

I also play cello and I'm practicing mezzo soprano opera roles, still knitting and designing quite a bit, gardening for 6 to 8 months out of the year, and I love long walks in the woods.

Edited by Kirsten
  • Like 10

@Kirsten, I think I am jealous of your freelance career...both the copyediting and the knitting patterns.

I paint, sail, hike/backpack and read. I also have an indoor jungle, and got into fish because I wanted an underwater garden...then I needed some splashes of color and algae control.

• Like 4

I have so many interests that I have self diagnosed as having AAHD.

I find it interesting how many common interests exist here so far.  I don’t have a cello or a guitar, because my harmonica fits inside my backpack. My kayak is my floating camera platform.  I like to tinker and I am a doubting Daniel, so my reading consists mostly of researching the internet.

My primary interests are the ones that provide an artistic outlet and actually allow me to control the time and expense required: Learning, nature, Bonsai, plants in general, and of course the fish.

• Like 2

I'm a freelance artist. I do anything from OC character commissions to monster design to scientific dinosaur reconstructions.

I'm also into table top gaming. Currently doing a Curse of Strahd D&D campaign on roll20 since my group can't meet in RL due to Covid. I enjoy MMOs, and play around in Elder Scrolls Online occasionally. I also play Pokemon Go, and often use it as an excuse to get out and walk. 

I love my dog and like to teach her tricks via clicker training. She knows so many goofy things.

I love nature and animals, and spend a lot of time learning about them.

I'm a huge fan of Halloween and collect jackolanterns and other spooky things. I love monster movies and werewolves. 

I'm fascinated with bones and have a little collection of skulls. 

• Like 4

On 11/24/2020 at 6:57 PM, Chrissy said:

Oh man I love to watch anime haha. I've been trying to merge anime and fish tanks together for some time now 🤣

I also love playing some acoustic guitar, photography, animation, and volley-ball! Pretty random things but... I guess I keep myself quite entertained 🙂

Find someone with a 3D printer! I'm sure you can find models for just about anything out there and then you can paint it and seal it with krylon clear spray paint to make it aquarium safe. Then you CAN have both!

I knit, crochet, play violin and guitar, and dabble in several other instruments. I also play video games (borderlands 3 a lot lately.)

I have a 2.5 year old daughter who makes most hobbies nearly impossible. Luckily with aquariums you can do everything in a few hours then go about the rest of your day. 

• Like 1

On 11/24/2020 at 5:57 PM, Chrissy said:

we all know chris watches anime, lol

• Haha 1

• I have a few cows, and have had them for decades.  I refer to it as a tax deductible hobby, though they do make me a little money most years.
  • I read a lot.  In fact, my office/fish room has 9' of wall space taken up with bookshelves, with about half hardbacks and the other half paperbacks double-stacked.  Occasionally I think about how many more fish tanks I could have if I moved the books out, but I've enjoyed recreational reading for close to 50 years and fish keeping less than two years, so the books are still there.  I know I could get a Kindle, or something similar, but part of my enjoyment is finding books in stores that I think I'd like but haven't run across before (pre-COVID, of course).
  • I like listening to music, and listen to Pandora all day long while I'm at my desk, with it usually set to Shuffle.  I have a decent range of genres and artists I like, from Bob Wills to Muddy Waters to Stevie Ray Vaughan to Etta James to Ray Wylie Hubbard to Lynyrd Skynyrd to Bonnie Bishop to . . . .
  • Like 4

I like to make jewelry from change. I once fell down the rabbit hole of coin rings on YouTube and for some reason I had to make them. It made working in retail a treasure hunt everyday. Some coins dating 1964 and before were made from silver. I don't sell the things I make, I usually give them as gifts. I just enjoy working with my hands and perfecting techniques.

This is my little setup.

20201210_091626-1.jpg.002eaea9104e0eb76da18b59d4137f61.jpg

Here is a ring made from a half dollar silver proof that I wore for 5 years. The detail on the outside wore away, but the date and "Liberty" is still visible on the inside.20201210_091454.jpg.7c4a87ea3fde2a8299fc1f426e287c9f.jpg

Just recently I discovered the trend of making bells from coins. I plan on giving this one away as a 2020 Christmas ornament.20201207_135255-1.jpg.5bf4998cc63babfbe449710c443df180.jpg

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, lefty o said:

^ that bell is neat. you have a real talent/skill.

Thanks. It was my third attempt and I still have some areas to refine. I enjoy the novelty of making something with a literal value of 25 cents or in this case 75 cents look like it should be worth more than that.