What do you like to do other than fish

Bean

55 minutes ago, bm3aquatic said:

Martial arts, I use to teach it as well. Photography is a passion of mine especially black and white.

My son is learning martial arts, and he loves it! I had originally signed him up for basketball because of his height, but it turns out he doesn't like being swarmed by other kids. 😅

I ride horses..that is mostly what I do. My husband rodeos and I have dabbled in it but I don’t have a horse to truly compete in any event. I broke and am training a 2 coming 3 year old. I love to rescue and rehabilitate any animal (insects and inverts included, except spiders, I’m phobic!) I enjoy gardening, fish, and everything else. I was recently diagnosed with ADHD so it explains my sudden urge to dive head first into something I’m interested in and after a while move to the next thing, keeping everything I’ve accrued from my previous adventure..😆🤷🏽‍♀️

Edited by Tiffany
  • Like 2

On 12/2/2020 at 9:12 AM, Irene said:

In the past, I used to crochet and knit, play piano, collect stamps, draw, blog, and play video games.

I also collect stamps! (Kind of a dormant hobby for me now as stamps are used less and less often.)

My other big hobby is crochet; I tend to really get into either my aquariums or into crocheting. Last time this year I was all about the hook, but this year I'm back on the aquarium train.

I made this octopus to enter into the county fair; alas, he'll have to wait until next year due to covid. If you have a hobby that can be displayed (jewelry making, fiber arts, etc) definitely consider entering your county fair. It's tons of fun!

image-c4647f79-b3b4-4d90-b69c-7b4bc4adbdc8.jpg

• Like 12

I like to draw. I used to draw all of the time, daily. I rarely can ever draw now,  because it is so straining on my health condition, so it’s for a few hours every few months typically. But, I still tend to enjoy it. I’ve been working on a Lion character a friend of mine has for a long time, as I can only do a little at a time. I also work on service dog patch designs and labels for businesses sometimes. In the past, I used to do some traditional art on occasion. DD5374F9-1621-49B5-9E43-74B707F4E643.jpeg.613c8155eb482565e4718895340afe87.jpeg984237D5-63C9-49B4-B911-94DCDFD2A61B.jpeg.05fb7d84d5d9b55a2c050a34a36e0c18.jpeg

Edited by Sapere_Ceta
  • Like 8

My wife and I ride horses. I have a Pony of the Americas named Winchester, and he keeps me active and out of the house at least half the week.

Since I’m stubborn I even made the saddle I ride in, so leatherworking is sort of a hobby as well. I got sick of dealing with saddlemakers who are terrible business people and just learned to do it myself.

9F72DB5B-7446-4A3B-893D-7EC748423D7E.jpeg

E49A13C7-7C6A-4E09-A6A9-13D0FE1DE613.jpeg

F7D10FA8-E673-4956-8027-B935074CAE55.jpeg

Edited by AdamTill
  • Like 6

Birding! And bird photography. Probably even more a passion right now than being an amateur aquarist. 

I used to compete at a lot of regional chess competitions.

Love playing the beautiful game. ¡¡¡Visca el Barça!!!

Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 12.28.07 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 12.28.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 12.25.04 AM.png

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 8

13 hours ago, Fish Folk said:

Birding! And bird photography. Probably even more a passion right now than being an amateur aquarist.

I've been a hardcore birder for a looooong time. It's definitely an amazing hobby and can become somewhat of an obsession in a fun way!

Love the pics! Based on the birds you've got represented there I'm going to guess you live somewhere east of the Rocky Mountains (unless these represent rarer vagrants in your neck of the woods).

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Fish Folk said:

Yepper! Western Maryland. Hillbilly country. I'm counting at about 188 species this year for our state. 

It's a fun challenge to tally what you can find in a given geographic region in a given year as it pushes you to explore new places to get higher numbers.

I did a local county Big Year once just for fun and it really drove me to try to figure out what specialized habitats existed in little nooks and crannies in my small county in an attempt to find birds that I needed for the list that specialized in those habitats.

A friend and I stumbled upon a Crested Caracara in a corn field during that effort, which was an insane accidental find in the middle of suburban NJ.  My buddy noticed it because he thought it was someone's escaped chicken.

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 12/12/2020 at 12:44 PM, Tiffany said:

I ride horses..that is mostly what I do. My husband rodeos and I have dabbled in it but I don’t have a horse to truly compete in any event. I broke and am training a 2 coming 3 year old. I love to rescue and rehabilitate any animal (insects and inverts included, except spiders, I’m phobic!) I enjoy gardening, fish, and everything else. I was recently diagnosed with ADHD so it explains my sudden urge to dive head first into something I’m interested in and after a while move to the next thing, keeping everything I’ve accrued from my previous adventure..😆🤷🏽‍♀️

Tiffany, I ride horses too! I have owned a few in the past but now I am just leasing.  That is awesome that you are training!

On 12/5/2020 at 11:02 AM, JettsPapa said:
  • I have a few cows, and have had them for decades.  I refer to it as a tax deductible hobby, though they do make me a little money most years.
  • I read a lot.  In fact, my office/fish room has 9' of wall space taken up with bookshelves, with about half hardbacks and the other half paperbacks double-stacked.  Occasionally I think about how many more fish tanks I could have if I moved the books out, but I've enjoyed recreational reading for close to 50 years and fish keeping less than two years, so the books are still there.  I know I could get a Kindle, or something similar, but part of my enjoyment is finding books in stores that I think I'd like but haven't run across before (pre-COVID, of course).
  • I like listening to music, and listen to Pandora all day long while I'm at my desk, with it usually set to Shuffle.  I have a decent range of genres and artists I like, from Bob Wills to Muddy Waters to Stevie Ray Vaughan to Etta James to Ray Wylie Hubbard to Lynyrd Skynyrd to Bonnie Bishop to . . . .

I forgot one (I'm old.  It happens.).

• Last fall, at 59 years old, my doctor put me on medication for high blood pressure and high cholesterol.  I decided I'd like to get off both of them, or at least reduce the dosage, so I started walking in an attempt to get in better shape.  I walk every day, weather permitting.  I started out at 1 mile per day at a leisurely pace, and slowly increased distance and pace until now I'm at 17 minutes per mile, and try to walk far enough each day to keep my daily average at 3 miles, so it's quite often 4 miles or more to make up for days I skip.  I had started being more active outside last spring when I started working from home, so since then I'm down around 25 pounds.  I plan to lose at least that much again next year, which will put me right at 200 pounds.  After that we'll see.
  • Like 3

Becoming a beginner aquarist when I retired in September is the first what I would call hobby I've had in a very, very long time. I used to go boating, water skiing and camping when I was married and kids were little, back in the 80s and 90s. I bought a guitar in early 2019 to learn how to play (had years of piano lessons as a child), but a couple months later broke my left wrist very badly and rehab took almost a year. Now, I have permanent limited range of motion due to pins and a plate, and also a lower back problem, but still practice a little bit. I have a long way to go to fill my aquariums with all the planned occupants, and especially to learn more about this hobby. I've always had dogs and/or cats and they take up a lot of my time. I can't live without at least one furry friend! Having fish, and being retired so I have the time to invest, has overall brought me a whole lot of inner peace and joy that was missing.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2020 at 11:42 PM, AdamTill said:

My wife and I ride horses. I have a Pony of the Americas named Winchester, and he keeps me active and out of the house at least half the week.

Since I’m stubborn I even made the saddle I ride in, so leatherworking is sort of a hobby as well. I got sick of dealing with saddlemakers who are terrible business people and just learned to do it myself.

9F72DB5B-7446-4A3B-893D-7EC748423D7E.jpeg

E49A13C7-7C6A-4E09-A6A9-13D0FE1DE613.jpeg

F7D10FA8-E673-4956-8027-B935074CAE55.jpeg

He is beautiful!! Good looking saddle as well!! I’ve never personally dealt with them but it is a pain to try to find a good all around fitting saddle for a fact!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Prior to getting into fish keeping (which is a relative new hobby for me as of this past September), theatre was my primary hobby. I used to actively participate in it (acting, directing, writing) in high school, but now just consume it through seeing shows and reviewing them for a local theatre website in my area. Covid has, understandably, put a bit of a damper on this hobby, so discovering fish keeping has been really lovely in lieu of that. 

Other than theatre, I enjoy reading (particularly the dystopian genre if I’m being honest) and doing a form of high intensity fitness yoga called DDP Yoga. My two children (3 and 1 month) keep far too busy to have any other hobbies beyond that. 😂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...