Do you strain your baby brine shrimp?

Goosedub

No straining, salt water and shrimp all go in together. I measured the amount of saltwater once and it was 1/8 teaspoon. I suspect the ocean reef crystals I use to make of the brine shrimp water is good for both the plants and fish in the tank in the long run. But it would take a very long run for the saltwater to amount to anything.

On 8/15/2021 at 6:31 PM, Daniel said:

No straining, salt water and shrimp all go in together. I measured the amount of saltwater once and it was 1/8 teaspoon. I suspect the ocean reef crystals I use to make of the brine shrimp water is good for both the plants and fish in the tank in the long run. But it would take a very long run for the saltwater to amount to anything.

Interesting.....and just how many times have you eaten the shrimp yourself?😆

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I keep going back and forth on it. I don’t feel good putting a bunch of extra salt in my tank, so I usually try to strain/rinse with warmish water to make it easier to squirt in with a pipette. But when I do, it seems like it kills 75% of the hatch, which seems to defeat the purpose. Anybody else have this issue?

I only strain when I'm emptying out the whole hatching container (typically at night). 

In the mornings, I just use a pipette and collect brine (once they have settled to bottom of container) and just squirt that directly into tanks, salt and all.

So in the AM no straining. In the PM straining.

On 1/23/2022 at 6:45 PM, B1gJ4k3 said:

But when I do, it seems like it kills 75% of the hatch, which seems to defeat the purpose.

Weird! I’ve personally never had this happen. How are you straining or rinsing them? I wonder if they’re getting crushed against the seive? When I do strain my bbs (for freezing for instance) I strain the shrimp and then add them to a cup of fresh water.