Do you strain your baby brine shrimp?

Goosedub

• 2 months later...

really depends on what you are feeding and the size of the tank. if small fry in a confined tank, definitely strain and rinse. I used the dump in everything method in the past, everything is fine until suddenly fry are gasping and dying. so for these confined areas with small fry, I take precautions and strain and into a container of fresh water for feeding. In larger tanks to juveniles and even young adults, the salt water and waste from the hatching water wont hurt them. but again, depends on the size of the tank and the amount of water changes you do.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I drain through a sieve, and rinse them out of the sieve into a container with tank water using a bulb eye dropper. Less salt water in the puffer fry tanks but also probably not necessary. I also have the idea in my head that that the first drain of BBS probably also gets a good portion of ammonia out of the hatch. 

Edited by mountaintoppufferkeeper
  • Like 1

I do both. On the 55 gallon, I don’t strain. On my grow out, nano tank - I strain. I’m still trying to dial in how many eggs to hatch at a time - so I put some dechlorinated water + salt + left over strained brine shrimp back in the hatchery last night. I haven’t checked it yet this morning - but in theory, I’ll be able to strain out just slightly larger brine shrimp today.  

• Like 1

About once per month, I hatch a maximum of 1/2 a scoop of the Aquarium Co-op brine shrimp. When draining from the Ziss hatchery, I strain through a fry net, with everything else ending up in a large bowl. Once the fry net is about half full, I remove the net from the stream & let whatever's left go into the bowl too (excluding the cysts).

The half full fry net is emptied into a 55 gallon planted aquarium that contains neocaridinia shrimp, nerite snails, pygmy corydoras, celestial pearl danios, emerald dwarf rasboras & chili rasboras.
The bowl of water & "everything but the cysts" is dumped into a 135 gallon planted aquarium that contains assassin snails, cardinal tetras, Congo tetras, sterbai corydoras, kubotai loaches, ancistrus & our old striped Raphael catfish pair. It usually gets a 25% water change the next day (weekly schedule because the ancistrus & catfish can be messy), so I figure the extra minerals will give the plants a little boost over the CO2 & fertilizer they already get.

Edited by Tazalanche
typo

I’ve drained and rinsed mine always, but I have never done it differently, so I can’t say the benefits and drawbacks of the different methods.  I watched a video recently from Tom at TM_Aquatics talk about his method of shining his light in the middle of the bottle rather than the bottom.  His reasoning is separate the hatched shrimp from the unmatched eggs.  If you drain from the bottom (which is what I’ve always done) you get both hatched shrimp and unmatched eggs at the bottom, but if you cut the air and shine your little in the middle of the bottle, you’ll only suck out the shrimp once everything is settled. He does this because he has had issues feeding baby plecos the baby’s brine shrimp, but they have problems digesting and passing the unmatched brine shrimp eggs.

Kind of an interesting take and thought process , but it makes sense in my head.  I might need to experiment more with this in the future.