Stuff you bought and recommend (not fish related)

Cory

On 9/9/2020 at 6:19 PM, Cory said:

Do you find studs on top of this helps?

Some states prohibited the use of studs, so always check what your state allows. I am not a fan of studded tires, because I feel it gives people a false sense of security that they can drive faster in the winter. I just prefer my snow tires, four wheel drive, and two 80lb bags of sand in the truck bed for added weight and in case you get stuck bust out the sand for traction! 

• Like 1

On 9/7/2020 at 1:32 PM, Cory said:

I find that on hobbyist forums, often interests are similar outside of the hobby. This thread is for items you've bought that exceed expectations or fully satisfy what you were looking for. This isn't just tech stuff, could be fast food, gardening equipment, anything really. 

My first would be the google mesh network pods. These were a game changer to me over 2 years ago when I installed them. Even just 1 pod outperformed the $700 router I was using in my studio. Now I have them in my studio, my house, the retail store and my warehouse and only have happy things to say about them. I ordered some of the new pods to test them out but so far only recommend the older generation. 

https://smile.amazon.com/Google-WiFi-system-3-Pack-replacement/dp/B01MAW2294/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=google+pod&qid=1599499889&sr=8-4

61Ij3OgXtvL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I've had my 3 pods for the last 3 years and they work amazing! I love the functionality of the app that goes along with it. I've been considering upgrading to the newest version, because I like how the main pod duals as a google home and has a speaker. 

I really like pens, the best one I have found so far is the uni-ball 207 Impact 1.0mm. I prefer the thick pens rather than the thin ones. At least for me it feels like thin pens run out of ink or break easier.
https://www.smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JKR4F0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The other one is a nice wallet. I don't have a lot of cards to carry so I didn't need a super bulky wallet with empty pockets. I trialed a few and settled on the TravelLambo Wallet. It is incredibly durable and has gone through the wash at least a dozens times since buying it, and it doesn't show any signs of degradation. https://www.amazon.com/Travelambo-Pocket-Minimalist-Leather-Blocking/dp/B07FPBT1PQ/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=Travelambo+vegan&qid=1600321816&s=apparel&sr=1-16

• Like 2

This gigantic mouse mat that goes across my whole desk. It's also a world map so when I find myself playing a game with long loading times (cos I don't have an SSD) I find myself looking and trying to locate places/capitals and that sort of thing. It's made me smarter 😂 

I got it on wish. Not sure if that's popular in the States? Put it was less than 10euro

IMG_20200921_125905.jpg

• Like 2

• Administrators

I need to get some maps in my studio. I've traveled to quite a few places, but putting them on a map is hard lol. I remember when I went to Israel, I told myself, had I known Egypt was so close, was like 4 hours by plane, I'd of visited... My wife would have killed me cause she wants to go too, but thats a different story. 

I'm thinking I might grab a big map for my new studio and put pins in the countries I've been to, and it'll help me get a handle on whats near what. 

On 9/10/2020 at 3:26 PM, Mychala said:

Are there certain brands I should look towards or stay away from?

Not a professional chef or anything, but I lucked my way into a set of Shun's. I scoffed at the price until I started using them. These are the first set of knives I've owned that weren't the crap sets that you start out with at 20 years old. I've gone so far now as taking the 2 that I use the most with me to Mom's house when we're both going to be cooking. Would spend the money again.

Made In is a US brand that I haven't used, but some of the folks backing them are big time pro chefs. The one that caught my attention is Grant Achatz of Alinea. Tbf, I'm more interested in their cookware, but would imagine their knives are going to be better than decent.

Personally I would steer clear of their knives. X50CrMoV15 is a highly stain resistant steel but thats about the only good thing about it. You can get much better knives for the price. Their cookware on the other hand I want to try. You'll also notice in the endorsements from famous chefs they only mention the cookware not the knives. I'm also weary of them claiming to be made in the USA since the steel they use is only produced in Germany. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cory said:

I need to get some maps in my studio. I've traveled to quite a few places, but putting them on a map is hard lol. I remember when I went to Israel, I told myself, had I known Egypt was so close, was like 4 hours by plane, I'd of visited... My wife would have killed me cause she wants to go too, but thats a different story. 

I'm thinking I might grab a big map for my new studio and put pins in the countries I've been to, and it'll help me get a handle on whats near what. 

You can get really awesome wall posters that are maps but the difference is you can scratch of the countries you've been too. Like a lottery scratch cards kinda thing. If that makes sense.

I bought this bike, a Windsor Rover II, from Bikesdirect.com, and I'm really pleased with it. It offers a very smooth ride, compared to what I was used to. (I've had a Schwinn Continental for 46 years--still rideable--that I got when I was a teenager back in the 1970s.) This new bike is aluminum, so it is lightweight, and it has front shocks and a seat shock, which really helps when you're as old as I am. Also, my old bike had drop handlebars that killed my neck just about every time I rode it. This bike lets me sit in a much more comfortable, upright position.
rover2_white_2100.jpg.048d58cada6a65ce8af0a5df09ddb67f.jpg

Yes, you probably save some money by buying from Bikesdirect.com, but there are some drawbacks. You have to do some assembly when the bike arrives (seat, handlebars, pedals), and they give you almost no instructions. (You can find some helpful online instructions on their website and on YouTube, but they're not model specific.) I was able, however, to eventually figure almost everything out. I still haven't tackled fine tuning the gears yet, and I may have to pay an expert to do that. (I get some chain chatter in some of the gears--some of which is normal, but it may be that some of that chain noise can be eliminated.)

Because I have some heart issues, I can only do very short, easy rides. And to me, this bike is perfect for that. It's great for riding around on residential streets in my neighborhood and for going to a nearby shopping center/grocery store. I don't know how it would do on gravel bike trails. The tires are a bit bigger than the ones on my old Schwinn, but they're not nearly as big as mountain bike tires (which I don't like anyway). In any event, this is my most recent purchase that I'm excited about.

• Like 1

Logitech G512

I recently switched over to mechanical keyboards and am a big fan of this one. IMO it's a good value for the price. I also have a razer blackwidow elite but prefer the G512 for the better feel and sound of the keys on the board. They are marketed for "gaming" but I use them as productivity keyboards and bought them with their linear switches.

• Like 2

• Administrators
9 hours ago, TheDukeAnumber1 said:

Logitech G512

I recently switched over to mechanical keyboards and am a big fan of this one. IMO it's a good value for the price. I also have a razer blackwidow elite but prefer the G512 for the better feel and sound of the keys on the board. They are marketed for "gaming" but I use them as productivity keyboards and bought them with their linear switches.

Big fan of their Mice. I looked at that keyboard, I ended up going with this one, as I wanted one without the keypad. I find myself never really utilizing it. Turns out it feels like my desk is huge now that the number pad is gone and the mouse and travel for miles lol. 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VXR9RY7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

14 hours ago, Cory said:

Big fan of their Mice. I looked at that keyboard, I ended up going with this one, as I wanted one without the keypad. I find myself never really utilizing it. Turns out it feels like my desk is huge now that the number pad is gone and the mouse and travel for miles lol. 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VXR9RY7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The MX mouse from Logitec is wonderful for productivity.  Once I got the MX 1 I was hooked, don't think I could own a mouse with out hyper scroll, really enjoy how well it works on their newest version the MX 3.

Edited by MattyIce

I love my hard-core German mechanical keyboard with the satisfying clickty-click as I type.

Das Keyboard:

Keyboard.jpg.f4377e381bf5d54b0496d3ae724e5fa2.jpg

Cherry MX Brown switches, high performance soft tacticle feedback, and best of all blank keycaps.

My typing has gotten much, much better since I have been weaned away from depending on lettered keys on the keyboard.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I love my hard-core German mechanical keyboard with the satisfying clickty-click as I type.

Das Keyboard:

Keyboard.jpg.f4377e381bf5d54b0496d3ae724e5fa2.jpg

Cherry MX Brown switches, high performance soft tacticle feedback, and best of all blank keycaps.

My typing has gotten much, much better since I have been weaned away from depending on lettered keys on the keyboard.

had to read under the pic, i thought for sure you plum wore it out!! lol

• Like 3

@Taylor Yes, could have been FOPS (forum over posting syndrome).

You know it is time to go outside once in while when you have worn all the lettering off of your keyboard. My wife has mentioned an intervention and some sort rehab.

So if you don't hear from me during the 2nd week of October...

• Haha 2

@ 'Cory

Thanks for the tip, my dislike for my razer grows daily, I can hear the springs rattle after every key press. And I'm a numpad guy, I want the extra room but most often I find myself wishing I had three hands.

@MattyIce

I can never go without hyper scroll either lol. I'm using the microsoft arc which has electronic hyper scroll but I want something fuller with a couple programmable buttons.

I want razer pro click ergonomics, logitech MX hyper scroll, but I also would like tilt click with the scroll wheel. I think the new logitech MX Anywhere 3 is what I'll end up getting. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On the subject of computer mice. I've been using the 3Dconnexions Cadmouse for a few years now at work. I really like it. It has a lot of built in features like a full size middle button and customizable gesture button. Awesome if you work with CAD software all day. It comes in wireless too. 

cm_gallery_thumb_01.png

• Like 2

On 9/9/2020 at 6:22 PM, Brandy said:

A Roomba. After a dishwasher, this is my single most beloved time saver. I love that my floors are just constantly magically clean. I am a confirmed cheapskate, and this is worth every penny, I promise.

Her name is Martha, she is my second. Fabio passed away after my kid let him drink too much.

IMG_20200909_151712.jpg.0f3566cf8fc1e3e3132e254928a0abef.jpg

+1.  Great solution for vacuuming under the bed and dresser, where dust collects.   I just wish the hopper had a larger capacity.  My new rug sheds fibers, roomba needs about 3 emptyings before it finishes the bedroom.   

I run a few Apple TV units at home, but we have tons of Google Chromecast units at our schools, and we have been waiting for a new model with more features, and maybe better performance in high density environments. Now there is a new one, and Home Depot seems to be selling it early:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/28/21459849/google-chromecast-new-remote-home-depot-early-sale-pre-release-leak

I thought this might be helpful.

For those who still have televisions 📺, like me;  here is an interesting product that I have been using for years.

It's an outdoor 'over-the-air' antenna that is useful and an alternative when cable or satellite reception is out; or can even be used as a primary signal source for local stations.

Reception will obviously vary from area to area, but at my location, I can receive 30 solid, high definition stations.  Saves a lot of money v.s. cable/satellite, since over the air signals are FREE.  

IMG_0823.JPG.a08b648f880a55325ed81b8ce866fb7b.JPG

I actually have mine set up in an upstairs empty room, out of the weather elements.  My elevation above sea level is about 1800 feet and have a clear sight to many of the transmitting towers.

This type of antenna is directional, meaning it needs to be pointed towards the signal source, for maximum signal strength.  

Many folks put the antenna outside on an electric rotor, in an attic or if your lucky enough, like me, to have most stations transmitting from the same geographical location, a fixed antenna location.

RCA OUTDOOR YAGI HD ANTENNA

Edited by DaveSamsell
  • Like 1

We 

4 hours ago, DaveSamsell said:

Many folks put the antenna outside on an electric rotor, in an attic or if your lucky enough, like me, to have most stations transmitting from the same geographical location, a fixed antenna location.

We had one when I was a kid! We put it in the top of a huge old fir tree a good 70-100ft tall (logging families are a little weird) and now and then my uncle would have to go up the tree to trim the branches that interfered with the rotation! 😁

• Haha 1

Nest thermostat. Im not ordinarily a tech fan, but this thing is a massive improvement over everything that i had before (and Im old enough to remember the low tech thermostats that contained a little capsule of mercury). The Nest is intuitive to use, can be operated remotely via a phone app, can measure and control temperatures in different rooms / floors via remote sensors, etc.  DIY install was very easy, tech support for the install was outstanding. Worth every penny! 🙂

2B065999-008B-452C-A275-5B2DA19BC31E.jpeg

• Like 2