Stuff you bought and recommend (not fish related)

Cory

Another cool item I recommend is a Geochron world time clock. The originals were mechanical and very $$$. I always wanted but couldn’t afford. But there is now a digital version that’s even cooler because it overlays real time day/night, clouds, precipitation, flight paths, etc. Endlessly fascinating to watch Earth weather as it develops. I use it as a screen saver / wall art on my  kitchen TV.  Saves me from looking at an ugly black plastic rectangle when tv is not in use, which is 99.9% of the time. www.geochron.com

0F436341-7FF0-4454-AEF0-1892E9BE5299.jpeg

Edited by Tetra Guy
  • Like 1

CallRail. This is a bit of a weird one but it popped to mind listening to a livestream where @Cory had issues with too many phone calls. I’ve purchased it now at both agencies I’ve worked at and hands-down, they have the best customer support in the digital marketing world that I’ve ever encountered (along with introducing new functionality spurred by customer feedback regularly).

They provide call tracking numbers, with some nice capabilities to help you link phone calls to a given marketing channel (google ads got you this call, google organic got you this call, some weirdo on yahoo got you this call, etc). It also lets you build call flows with routing logic - phone calls from this area code go to this number, phone calls from this area go to this number - and neat features like call whispering, recording, keyword tagging, etc. It’s one of those neat tools I’ve gotten immense value from and know I’ve barely scratched the surface of use-wise. 

• Thanks 1

I love houseplants, but I'm the worst at keeping them alive. This thing has helped a ton. It's not perfect, but it gives a close enough reading to let me know when I'm drowning or drying out my plants. It comes with a table for over 150 different plants.

2831BA43-8249-465B-B2C1-E7472F8EEE99.jpeg

• Like 3

On 9/23/2020 at 9:44 AM, Jane Smith said:

Something low tech and inexpensive has been a game changer for me. Bamboo Steamers. I use them for all kinds of seafood and veg. Using nothing else but an inch of water and dinner done in minutes. I use kale or cabbage leaves as liner so clean up is easy.

bamboo steamers.jpg

IMG_3210.JPG

Jane, a few of these are on my wish list. I can make decent gyoza, I've made "okay" homemade ramen noodles. But I really want to learn how to make homemade BBQ pork bao, sesame balls and other tasty bits. 

On 9/9/2020 at 3:39 PM, Daniel said:

I am almost embarrassed to admit this but I am loving 'Hello Fresh' the meal-kit provider.

My wife and have a big garden and she is a good cook, so when son suggested we try, I was very, very skeptical.

I was wrong. The meals are very good, don't take a lot of time to prepare, and reasonably priced. We get 6 meals a week for 2 people (12 meals total) for $118/week delivered. That's $10 a meal. It's seems like it would be less expensive just to do the same thing from the grocery store, but for some reason our normal grocery expenses run $250 - $350 a week (unless I go on a condiment spree and then it can be much more).

We often add a vegetable side dish (like a caprese salad) from our garden but there is plenty of food even without our additions.

Overall, I like:

• Variety, constantly changing menu
  • Saves oodles of time
  • Reasonably priced
  • Plain old just tastes good
  • No commitment, you can make whatever weekly adjustments in menu or meal number you need, it is very flexible

I might get tired of this one day, but I like this concept and after 3 months into it I am looking forward to the next 3 months

I second this!

It literally has gotten everyone into the kitchen. I love that the recipes can be altered at home to fit everyone's needs. The convenience of having everything ready to go without having to hunt and peck for supplies is also a time saver.  When the pandemic first started I had a hard time finding meat at the butcher shop and grocery store, and they came through each time for the week. And their customer service is impeccable. 

• Like 2

• Administrators

I use this laptop armchair desk every day for like the last 2 years. Has a built in mouse pad, venting for the laptop and places to hold your phone and the left hand side holds a plate of tacos. Picked it up on amazon for like $40

BA408A33-37F1-4656-A191-BB6FA1909E2B.jpeg

45 minutes ago, Cory said:

I use this laptop armchair desk every day for like the last 2 years. Has a built in mouse pad, venting for the laptop and places to hold your phone and the left hand side holds a plate of tacos. Picked it up on amazon for like $40

I'm really liking this, *and* the taco part  😄

23 hours ago, Cory said:

How about we get rid of the mouse pad and the laptop and add more tacos.

On 9/23/2020 at 4:50 PM, Cory said:

Big fan of their Mice. I looked at that keyboard, I ended up going with this one, as I wanted one without the keypad. I find myself never really utilizing it. Turns out it feels like my desk is huge now that the number pad is gone and the mouse and travel for miles lol. 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VXR9RY7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was always wondering what keyboard you were using lol

I came across an issue with my smart plugs (not the Kasa ones) and the Google Nest Wifi. My smart plugs only use 2.4ghz band, and the Smart Life app wants my phone on the 2.4GHz band in order to set up the plugs for the first time. Since the Google Nest system does not allow unique SSIDs, it's always going to keep me on the connection with the most bandwidth (5Ghz, unless I walk far enough down the driveway, across the street, etc. away from the router). I know Google's goal here is to make a smarter router that handles more behind the scenes, but I would definitely appreciate an "advanced mode" to let me separate the bands or temporarily disable 5ghz.

Do the Kasas support 5ghz, or at least have an app smart enough to bypass this issue?

On 10/2/2020 at 12:00 AM, Tetra Guy said:

Nest thermostat. Im not ordinarily a tech fan, but this thing is a massive improvement over everything that i had before (and Im old enough to remember the low tech thermostats that contained a little capsule of mercury). The Nest is intuitive to use, can be operated remotely via a phone app, can measure and control temperatures in different rooms / floors via remote sensors, etc.  DIY install was very easy, tech support for the install was outstanding. Worth every penny! 🙂

2B065999-008B-452C-A275-5B2DA19BC31E.jpeg

Love Nest products! When we moved to our new home I purchased their thermostat, protects (smoke alarms), and 4 outdoor cameras. All are still working great, cameras are a huge relief with 24/7 recording and have been through -40 to 100 degrees here in Michigan! Highly recommend Nest to anyone.

6 hours ago, StephenP2003 said:

I came across an issue with my smart plugs (not the Kasa ones) and the Google Nest Wifi. My smart plugs only use 2.4ghz band, and the Smart Life app wants my phone on the 2.4GHz band in order to set up the plugs for the first time. Since the Google Nest system does not allow unique SSIDs, it's always going to keep me on the connection with the most bandwidth (5Ghz, unless I walk far enough down the driveway, across the street, etc. away from the router). I know Google's goal here is to make a smarter router that handles more behind the scenes, but I would definitely appreciate an "advanced mode" to let me separate the bands or temporarily disable 5ghz.

Do the Kasas support 5ghz, or at least have an app smart enough to bypass this issue?

According to Kasa the KC200 & KC120 support 5GHz bands... all other of their devices only support 2.4GHz which makes sense considering 2.4GHz has better distance over 5GHz and smart plugs and other similar devices don’t need the performance 5GHz offers. I use eero pro mesh WiFi and haven’t had any issues with connecting to Kasa. As far as Google WiFi, the issue you described (plus others) is why I jumped ship sadly.

On 9/9/2020 at 6:39 PM, Daniel said:

I am almost embarrassed to admit this but I am loving 'Hello Fresh' the meal-kit provider.

My wife and have a big garden and she is a good cook, so when son suggested we try, I was very, very skeptical.

I was wrong. The meals are very good, don't take a lot of time to prepare, and reasonably priced. We get 6 meals a week for 2 people (12 meals total) for $118/week delivered. That's $10 a meal. It's seems like it would be less expensive just to do the same thing from the grocery store, but for some reason our normal grocery expenses run $250 - $350 a week (unless I go on a condiment spree and then it can be much more).

We often add a vegetable side dish (like a caprese salad) from our garden but there is plenty of food even without our additions.

Overall, I like:

• Variety, constantly changing menu
  • Saves oodles of time
  • Reasonably priced
  • Plain old just tastes good
  • No commitment, you can make whatever weekly adjustments in menu or meal number you need, it is very flexible

I might get tired of this one day, but I like this concept and after 3 months into it I am looking forward to the next 3 months

My girlfriend and I are struggling with grocery shopping and meal planning since we are in college and are still very much newbies. We’ve entertained the idea of trying this in the past. My parents did it a few times a while back when it first came out and I remember enjoying it. That’s also comparable to what we are paying weekly for groceries. I think our most recent total was about 110 or so (estimated head math, lol). Have you needed any thing other than a basic oven tray to cook any of the meals? That’s probably my greatest concern is us not having a lot of pots or pans or anything, and has been a limiting factor in what we can make ourselves in the past.

20 hours ago, Steph’s Fish and Plants said:

Have you needed any thing other than a basic oven tray to cook any of the meals? That’s probably my greatest concern is us not having a lot of pots or pans or anything, and has been a limiting factor in what we can make ourselves in the past.

An oven tray and a skillet have been the only 2 items needed to cook a meal other than a cutting board or bowl.  I keep waiting to get tired of these meals but so far that has not happened.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/7/2020 at 1:32 PM, Cory said:

I find that on hobbyist forums, often interests are similar outside of the hobby. This thread is for items you've bought that exceed expectations or fully satisfy what you were looking for. This isn't just tech stuff, could be fast food, gardening equipment, anything really. 

My first would be the google mesh network pods. These were a game changer to me over 2 years ago when I installed them. Even just 1 pod outperformed the $700 router I was using in my studio. Now I have them in my studio, my house, the retail store and my warehouse and only have happy things to say about them. I ordered some of the new pods to test them out but so far only recommend the older generation. 

https://smile.amazon.com/Google-WiFi-system-3-Pack-replacement/dp/B01MAW2294/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=google+pod&qid=1599499889&sr=8-4

61Ij3OgXtvL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

@Cory just purchased the 2nd generation of this product. Wow..easy setup and the speed is amazing. Getting full speed I am paying for now. Replaced my nighthawk router that was performing at really slow speeds. You were not kidding that this out performs high-end routers. Thank you for the recommendation. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Griot's Garage Car Care Products. I started exclusively using their products about 7 years ago. What I like about their products is that each one is easy to understand, apply, and get great results. Every liquid car care product, wax, and polish they make is 100% developed and bottled in the USA, not relabeled from a third party. They are headquartered in Tacoma WA. 

Today I used their clay bar and new spray-on ceramic coating, which I highly recommend. 

20201108_120414.jpg

20201108_123118.jpg

20201108_123854.jpg

• Like 4

I just got version 2.0 of my favorite piece of sailboat racing electronics, the Velocitek ProStart. With my Viper 640, we are only allowed to use self-contained instruments, typically a GPS, and a compass. Until recently, this took two different instruments. This new unit lets us ping each side of the start line, and gives us distance to line, countdown timer, compass, GPS location, speed-over-ground, heel angle, pitch angle, heading trends (-/+), night mode, etc. We can export this data to track our performance.

Sailing is a lot like fish keeping. You are responding to environmental changes to keep everything moving. You can't fixate on the data, but it can provide some valuable metrics. Even on modern boats, we are still watching pieces of yarn flutter on sails to see the flow, and judging the wind and water with our senses, much like seeing how your fish behave, and how your plants look. The data helps you refine your instincts, test your assumptions, and track your systems.

75F901C1-263E-446D-BED2-8FA700BF1C3C_1_201_a.jpeg.2e0d2985baf2cc511186e22a4130e5b5.jpeg

57363708-4774-47B3-A166-82DC30602CEF_1_201_a.jpeg.e6268d89b1ffc9865ced014d977ef7d2.jpeg

E89E7B7A-E267-4E85-8A2D-B6F923EAC235_1_201_a.jpeg.20eef4dd4eb7672d8f84a75068824292.jpeg

Alec Stewart is like the Cory McElroy of his industry. You can tell when people care about product development.

Edited by Streetwise
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

The only thing I've bought in recent months that really stands out is a pole saw (especially since @Corymentioned gardening) I bought early this year.  I needed one to trim some trees near my house and didn't want to spend the money for a gas powered one, so my wife and I went to Lowe's to look for an electric one.  While I was there I got to talking to another customer who said his son had bought a battery powered one and really liked it.  I took his advice and bought a battery powered one from Craftsman.

I was pleasantly surprised by how well it worked, and I don't know how long the battery will last on a single charge but I know it lasts longer than I do.  I'm especially glad I didn't buy an electric one because I've also used it to trim low-hanging limbs on some trees in the pasture, which allows me to get under them better with my tractor when I'm mowing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2020 at 5:22 PM, Brandy said:

A Roomba. After a dishwasher, this is my single most beloved time saver. I love that my floors are just constantly magically clean. I am a confirmed cheapskate, and this is worth every penny, I promise.

Her name is Martha, she is my second. Fabio passed away after my kid let him drink too much.

IMG_20200909_151712.jpg.0f3566cf8fc1e3e3132e254928a0abef.jpg

My grandma gave me her Roomba. We call it Bonk. It does such a good job of keeping the car hair under control I'll never been without one again.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I really love the Sea Otter radio controlled airplane kit from FliteTest, flies great off of snow, and I want to try flying it off of water at one point. It's super stable and even flies off of an underpowered motor.

https://store.flitetest.com/flite-test-sea-otter-electric-airplane-kit-1016mm-flt-1039/p673703

Edited by FlyingFishKeeper