Let see YOUR favorite fish, that YOU own.

FrozenFins

We may tell our fish "I don't have favorites, I love you all the same" But lets be honest, you have a favorite. Lets see the favorit fish that you own. 

Mine is my koi angelfish. He was actually sold to me as a panda angel, but then later found out he was a koi angel. He was one of the first fish I got, and he quickly became my favorite. He's the one that got me LOVING angelfish. 

angel.jpg

• Like 16

7 minutes ago, TankedUp said:

I'm convinced photographing fish is the hardest thing. Trying to focus on my alfa German blue ram without my other curious fish getting in the way.

I find taking a pic of fish difficult as well. You killed it on that picture though! Beautiful Ram.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dawn T said:

She's a rosy red minnow. Yep, that species is sold as "feeder fish", but I've found they are really neat pets.

Very cool. I've read a lot that people like keeping these "feeder fish" as pets and that they are extremely hardy. Do they school?

1 minute ago, OceanTruth said:

I've read a lot that people like keeping these "feeder fish" as pets and that they are extremely hardy. Do they school?

They school only loosely, most of the time. They tend to hang out in the general vicinity of each other, but they don't move as a unit like other schooling fish do. If they feel threatened, they might, but I haven't seen mine do it.

They have a low survival rate after purchase, but those you can get to survive for a while, yeah, they are definitely hardy. Sadly, as with all "feeder" fish, the conditions they're kept in, even in stores, is really unhealthy, and they're sold with the expectation that you're taking them home to feed them to larger fish, snakes, turtles, or whatever. As a result, health isn't much of a priority. It's harsh and sad, since even "feeder" fish (or mice, rats, etc) deserve to be treated well, regardless of where they will eventually end up.

One of the things they do that endeared them to me is the fact that they actually interact with me sometimes when I have my hands in the tank trimming plants and things like that. They come right up to me and will nibble at my hands. Their touch is so light, you can barely feel it, but it's cool to have a fish who comes up instead of running away to hide. You know?

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Dawn T said:

They school only loosely, most of the time. They tend to hang out in the general vicinity of each other, but they don't move as a unit like other schooling fish do. If they feel threatened, they might, but I haven't seen mine do it.

They have a low survival rate after purchase, but those you can get to survive for a while, yeah, they are definitely hardy. Sadly, as with all "feeder" fish, the conditions they're kept in, even in stores, is really unhealthy, and they're sold with the expectation that you're taking them home to feed them to larger fish, snakes, turtles, or whatever. As a result, health isn't much of a priority. It's harsh and sad, since even "feeder" fish (or mice, rats, etc) deserve to be treated well, regardless of where they will eventually end up.

One of the things they do that endeared them to me is the fact that they actually interact with me sometimes when I have my hands in the tank trimming plants and things like that. They come right up to me and will nibble at my hands. Their touch is so light, you can barely feel it, but it's cool to have a fish who comes up instead of running away to hide. You know?

I definitely agree that all animals should be treated well no matter what their destiny may be...

That's so cool that they are so personable like that. I had ranchu goldfish that used to do that as well. Felt like little kisses. One would stay perfectly still if I tried to lightly hold it as well.

I'm definitely more interested in these fish now. Never really seen them sold around me though.

• Like 1

Love the stories of everyone's favourites (Canadian Spelling lol). For the last four months mine has been a rainbow and I am ashamed to say that I am not sure of the species. I have had a couple in my tank for almost 18 months. I never really saw match colour from them, that was until I rehomed to sword tails that decided to become jerks. I have had swords before but never like those ones. The last straw was when they bit a chunk out of my rainbow. 

With the bullies gone and the tank moved to a different location in the house, the rainbows have come to life. Depending on the time of day the colours are amazing. He always catches my eye and I am constantly calling my husband over to look. I will definitely be putting some more of these in my new 90 gallon when it is restored and up and running.

P.S. He is not a fan of the camera. Pictures are not the best.

20210124_113846.jpg

20210124_113949.jpg

20210124_125746.jpg

20210124_125835.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ErinV said:

Love the stories of everyone's favourites (Canadian Spelling lol). For the last four months mine has been a rainbow and I am ashamed to say that I am not sure of the species. I have had a couple in my tank for almost 18 months. I never really saw match colour from them, that was until I rehomed to sword tails that decided to become jerks. I have had swords before but never like those ones. The last straw was when they bit a chunk out of my rainbow. 

With the bullies gone and the tank moved to a different location in the house, the rainbows have come to life. Depending on the time of day the colours are amazing. He always catches my eye and I am constantly calling my husband over to look. I will definitely be putting some more of these in my new 90 gallon when it is restored and up and running.

P.S. He is not a fan of the camera. Pictures are not the best.

20210124_113846.jpg

20210124_113949.jpg

20210124_125746.jpg

20210124_125835.jpg

I had a rainbow that looked just like that. I also didn't know what it was called and I asked everyone, no one knew. Until I saw the same species of rainbow fish at my lfs, I beleive its the deep water creek rainbow.

Edited by James Black

In the foreground  is #3 of 9.  3 is still the senior fish; which is surprising after jumping out of the tank, surviving the 6 ft. free fall, flopping across the room and rescuing little Timmy from the well last year.  (I'm kidding about Timmy but you can look it up if you're too young)

TFB Crew.jpg

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ErinV said:

Depending on the time of day the colours are amazing. He always catches my eye and I am constantly calling my husband over to look.

My Tinfoil Barbs always look best when the natural sunlight hits them.  Their colour and "tinfoil" effect never seems to come out under artificial light.  Of course that is also the worst time for pictures due to all of the glare and reflections.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James Black said:

I had a rainbow that looked just like that. I also didn't know what it was called and I asked everyone, no one knew. Until I saw the same species of rainbow fish at my lfs, I beleive its the deep water creek rainbow.

WOW! Thank you so much @James Black, I just looked up the deep water creek rainbow and that is my guy and gal in a nut shell. I will now be able to research them better to see if they will fit into the plan for the 90 gallon. Loving this forum. I have learned so much in the last few weeks than the last 25 years of fish keeping.

• Like 1